Thread: New Player - Looking for some guidance.

CSA Major

New Player - Looking for some guidance.

Hello all, just purchased this today and i am excited to get started. I have been browsing the forums trying to get a handle on everything and looking for the best way to learn about actually "playing" the game as much as i can before i get home from work this evening. Is there any threads that you can recommend a new player such as myself read to get familiar with how the community expects new arrivals to play? Or information they need to know and understand?

From what i heard outside of events there is not really a whole lot going on, so i'm not expecting to just be able to drop in and play a game. Is there a place where i can go to learn the skills needed to be a successful soldier?

Thank you all in advance. I appreciate your help. I apologize if there was a thread already created explaining all these things, i did try to use the search feature and it did not return anything of note to me.

There isnt much of a game right now... Atleast, in terms of population. You can find rules for various events on their threads. However, the best way to play is with a company. Shame you joined the wrong side, the 52nd is a great one
    http://i.imgur.com/STUHVb8.png

CSA Lieutenant Colonel

Quote Originally Posted by Raidmaxxx View Post
    Hello all, just purchased this today and i am excited to get started. I have been browsing the forums trying to get a handle on everything and looking for the best way to learn about actually "playing" the game as much as i can before i get home from work this evening. Is there any threads that you can recommend a new player such as myself read to get familiar with how the community expects new arrivals to play? Or information they need to know and understand?

From what i heard outside of events there is not really a whole lot going on, so i'm not expecting to just be able to drop in and play a game. Is there a place where i can go to learn the skills needed to be a successful soldier?

Thank you all in advance. I appreciate your help. I apologize if there was a thread already created explaining all these things, i did try to use the search feature and it did not return anything of note to me.
    Good Afternoon,

I have sent you an invite to a group with some knowledge on it. It is still in its pilot stage so there will be many differing ways of doing things. The one thing I will tell you to look at is the Hardee's 1862 manual/link. It will get you familiar with civil drill and ceremonies (tactics). Also please check your inbox.

Captain F. L. Villarreal

USA Captain

There are several drill events organised by various communities throughout the week. If you are unfamiliar with some of the standard drills or commands, attending one of those might be a good idea. Most of those organising communities have no qualms with people from outside their unit joining in.

You can have a look at this thread to get an overview of who organises what, when: http://www.warofrightsforum.com/show...r-Alpha-Tester

CSA Captain

Welcome to War of Rights!

As others have mentioned, the best way to get into the action is to join a unit and participate in their drills. There's a few events that happen between Thursdays and Sundays. Check out the events thread to see upcoming or repeat events.

See you on the field!
    To the Colors!

Captain Lance Rawlings
    Company K, 38th North Carolina, Pender's Brigade, A.P. Hill's Division, Jackson's Corps, Army of Northern Virginia
    http://www.warofrightsforum.com/show...lina-Boys-quot

I myself was wondering where there is a chart showing the keyboard actions or functions. what key to climb over a fence, etc.

USA Major

Quote Originally Posted by rebeltim28 View Post
    I myself was wondering where there is a chart showing the keyboard actions or functions. what key to climb over a fence, etc.
    In game the F1 key will show you the key mapping. Might be a few missing or not implemented since I haven't checked in some time. It is Alpha and things change.
    Lightfoot

USA Captain

If your interested in being a part of an artillery battery talk to me. The 1st Ohio is recruiting and you could have the opportunity to receive a high rank.
    Captain James F. Huntington, Battery H 1st Ohio Light Artillery.