Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Thread: Cold, hard truth: The future of gameplay.

USA Captain

Quote Originally Posted by DomDowg View Post
    I mean the is if you look at the union side on the company tool. There are alot of sharpshooter companies with a lot of people. If the servers maybe hold 500-1000 people and 200 of that are sharpshooters then a good quarter of the server pop are fighting in loose formations putting the lines at a disadvantage. When the company tool gets better updated something will needed to couter balance this. The 1stUSSS and 2nd USSS historically only recruited the best. They didnt have 1000 men or 100 a company. That is the issue. Too many sharpshooters in this game.
    Perhaps there will be limits on the amount of sharps, cav, or arty that can be picked in a round when they all get implemented. I know the devs are already working on an officer limit for example; I don't remember exactly if they ever announced a limit on different branches specifically, but it should help balance things out.

In private events, the event organisers could also do the balancing themselves of course.

A 10 sharpshooter limit per team seems pretty fair honestly.
    http://i.imgur.com/STUHVb8.png

CSA Major

Quote Originally Posted by David Dire View Post
    What defines a sharpshooter in your opinion? Is it the way they fight, the weapons they use, etc?

Many sharpshooters during the war used standard weapons of the day like the Springfield or Enfield. Also, many sharphooters weren't part of official sharpshooter units, they were just men who had good shooting skills and would act as sharpshooters when needed.

Point is you can't really limit sharpshooters because anyone can decide to act as a sharpshooter, the unit and weapon don't matter.
    Jesse S. Crosby, 20th Georgia Infantry, July 15, 1861 - May 6, 1864

Samuel T. McKenzie, 20th Georgia Infantry, July 15, 1861 - September 2, 1862

Joseph C. McKenzie, 20th Georgia Infantry, July 15, 1861 - October 1, 1863

Henry C. McKenzie, 3rd Georgia Infantry, June 1, 1861 - January 28, 1863

Charles R. Beddingfield, 38th Alabama Infantry

Samuel L. Cowart, Cobb's Legion

CSA Major

Quote Originally Posted by Legion View Post
    What defines a sharpshooter in your opinion? Is it the way they fight, the weapons they use, etc?

Many sharpshooters during the war used standard weapons of the day like the Springfield or Enfield. Also, many sharphooters weren't part of official sharpshooter units, they were just men who had good shooting skills and would act as sharpshooters when needed.

Point is you can't really limit sharpshooters because anyone can decide to act as a sharpshooter, the unit and weapon don't matter.
    I would suggest reading this little book:
    https://www.americanrifleman.org/art...the-civil-war/

Gives a lot of information. Indeed in most cases sharpshooters where the best of their regiment and where called out when needed. Either as sharpshooters or as a small team of scouts in curtain terrain. Almost never went a sharpshooter on his own.

Other great source:
    http://www.cfspress.com/sharpshooters/

By sharpshooter I obviously mean designated units.

CSA Major

By sharpshooter I obviously mean designated units.
    Well not only designated units held sharpshooters. It was adopted within regular units to have sharpshooters in their group. Like Legion also mentioned

By sharpshooters I obviously mean only designated units.

CSA Major

By sharpshooters I obviously mean only designated units.
    It still wont make a difference. I could assign my unit to act as sharpshooters. Limiting a specific unit won't make any difference, the enfields and springfields used by my unit are just as capable as the rifles used by sharpshooters (besides the whitworth).

I don't understand what limiting sharpshooter units will do in-game.
    Jesse S. Crosby, 20th Georgia Infantry, July 15, 1861 - May 6, 1864

Samuel T. McKenzie, 20th Georgia Infantry, July 15, 1861 - September 2, 1862

Joseph C. McKenzie, 20th Georgia Infantry, July 15, 1861 - October 1, 1863

Henry C. McKenzie, 3rd Georgia Infantry, June 1, 1861 - January 28, 1863

Charles R. Beddingfield, 38th Alabama Infantry

Samuel L. Cowart, Cobb's Legion

USA General of the Army

In Maryland State Near to both Antietam and Gettysburg, Harper's Ferry et al.
    Gee.
    That would piss off the whole 13th PA Reserve. (A.K.A. 42nd PA) The whole regiment considered themselves sharpshooters. And that's just the tip of the iceberg. There are at least 10 companies that call themselves sharpshooters as well, and most of these units have more than 10 members. How do you sort that?

CSA Colonel

Quote Originally Posted by A. P. Hill View Post
    Gee.
    That would piss off the whole 13th PA Reserve. (A.K.A. 42nd PA) The whole regiment considered themselves sharpshooters. And that's just the tip of the iceberg. There are at least 10 companies that call themselves sharpshooters as well, and most of these units have more than 10 members. How do you sort that?
    That is exactly what I mean. So many sharpshooters in this game. We might just make Sniper Elite 5 and in the end mission you assassinate Jefferson Davis, Abraham Lincoln and Adolf Hitler.