Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 678910 LastLast
Results 71 to 80 of 91

Thread: Cold, hard truth: The future of gameplay.

  1. #71

    USA Lieutenant Colonel

    David Dire's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2015
    Location
    America
    Posts
    669
    Soldiers not in sharpshooter regiments will not recieve any buffs for being in line however.

    And defending the army being made up 35% of sharp shooters? What happened to historical accuracy and 15 man gun crews?
    http://i.imgur.com/STUHVb8.png

  2. #72

    CSA Major

    Legion's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Location
    Baldwin,Louisiana
    Posts
    1,716
    Quote Originally Posted by DomDowg View Post
    That is exactly what I mean. So many sharpshooters in this game. We might just make Sniper Elite 5 and in the end mission you assassinate Jefferson Davis, Abraham Lincoln and Adolf Hitler.
    Sharpshooters are no different from regular line infantry in-game. Simply having the name sharpshooter doesn't make them superior. Many of the weapons used by line infantry are also used by sharpshooters.
    Quote Originally Posted by David Dire View Post
    Soldiers not in sharpshooter regiments will not recieve any buffs for being in line however.

    And defending the army being made up 35% of sharp shooters? What happened to historical accuracy and 15 man gun crews?
    There are no buffs in-game so I don't see your point. Sharpshooters are really just in name only, unless the players are good shots then they really aren't sharpshooters.

    Their weapons wont be superior to the line infantry unless they have something like the Whitworth with its superior accuracy or the sharps with it's fire rate. but even those weapons have drawbacks, the whitworth gets harder to load as it gets fouled and the sharps accuracy isn't really superior to any of the line infantry weapons.
    Last edited by Legion; 08-05-2017 at 01:21 AM.
    Jesse S. Crosby, 20th Georgia Infantry, July 15, 1861 - May 6, 1864

    Samuel T. McKenzie, 20th Georgia Infantry, July 15, 1861 - September 2, 1862

    Joseph C. McKenzie, 20th Georgia Infantry, July 15, 1861 - October 1, 1863

    Henry C. McKenzie, 3rd Georgia Infantry, June 1, 1861 - January 28, 1863

    Charles R. Beddingfield, 38th Alabama Infantry

    Samuel L. Cowart, Cobb's Legion

  3. #73

    CSA Major General

    Dether's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2017
    Location
    Alabama
    Posts
    79
    Quote Originally Posted by Legion View Post
    Sharpshooters are no different from regular line infantry in-game. Simply having the name sharpshooter doesn't make them superior. Many of the weapons used by line infantry are also used by sharpshooters.


    There are no buffs in-game so I don't see your point. Sharpshooters are really just in name only, unless the players are good shots then they really aren't sharpshooters.

    Their weapons wont be superior to the line infantry unless they have something like the Whitworth with its superior accuracy or the sharps with it's fire rate. but even those weapons have drawbacks, the whitworth gets harder to load as it gets fouled and the sharps accuracy isn't really superior to any of the line infantry weapons.
    excellent points all around, I agree.
    All governments, everywhere derived its power by the consent of the people. The government you have is by your own consent. Not by those brave grey dead of one hundred and fifty plus years ago.

  4. #74

    CSA Colonel

    DomDowg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2015
    Location
    Millersville, MD
    Posts
    199
    What I am trying to say is sharpshooters fight in loose formations. I mean sharpshooters not crack pot shot in a line infantry unit. Union Sharpshooters especially. Confed not so much. For Union sharps the get the Sharps rifle. So a line of idk 30 men marching. Can get attacked by the 2ndUSSS with maybe 30 men (not accurate numbers of course). And get decimated because the sharpshooters are allowed to spread out, while the lines must stay shoulder to shoulder. That is what I mean.

    Then for the Union having near 200-300 sharpshooters. That is alot of sharpshooters. So all I say is that we need to set a limit. Cav is no problem because there is not alot of it. And neither is the artillery because again not a lot of it.

  5. #75

    CSA Major

    Legion's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Location
    Baldwin,Louisiana
    Posts
    1,716
    Quote Originally Posted by DomDowg View Post
    What I am trying to say is sharpshooters fight in loose formations. I mean sharpshooters not crack pot shot in a line infantry unit. Union Sharpshooters especially. Confed not so much. For Union sharps the get the Sharps rifle. So a line of idk 30 men marching. Can get attacked by the 2ndUSSS with maybe 30 men (not accurate numbers of course). And get decimated because the sharpshooters are allowed to spread out, while the lines must stay shoulder to shoulder. That is what I mean.

    Then for the Union having near 200-300 sharpshooters. That is alot of sharpshooters. So all I say is that we need to set a limit. Cav is no problem because there is not alot of it. And neither is the artillery because again not a lot of it.
    no one is forcing sharphooters or line infantry to fight in certain formations.
    Jesse S. Crosby, 20th Georgia Infantry, July 15, 1861 - May 6, 1864

    Samuel T. McKenzie, 20th Georgia Infantry, July 15, 1861 - September 2, 1862

    Joseph C. McKenzie, 20th Georgia Infantry, July 15, 1861 - October 1, 1863

    Henry C. McKenzie, 3rd Georgia Infantry, June 1, 1861 - January 28, 1863

    Charles R. Beddingfield, 38th Alabama Infantry

    Samuel L. Cowart, Cobb's Legion

  6. #76

    USA Lieutenant Colonel

    David Dire's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2015
    Location
    America
    Posts
    669
    So what youre saying is youre completely fine with 50% of both armies being made up of either whitworths or breechloaders?

    I'm glad you're not balancing the game.
    http://i.imgur.com/STUHVb8.png

  7. #77

    CSA Major

    Legion's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Location
    Baldwin,Louisiana
    Posts
    1,716
    Quote Originally Posted by David Dire View Post
    So what youre saying is youre completely fine with 50% of both armies being made up of either whitworths or breechloaders?

    I'm glad you're not balancing the game.
    Whitworths will be limited, not sure about sharps though. I honestly don't care though, I haven't seen it make any significant difference to the gameplay so far.

    From my experience playing the smoke builds up and forces people to get closer which negates any advantage that the whitworth or any long range rifle really has.
    Jesse S. Crosby, 20th Georgia Infantry, July 15, 1861 - May 6, 1864

    Samuel T. McKenzie, 20th Georgia Infantry, July 15, 1861 - September 2, 1862

    Joseph C. McKenzie, 20th Georgia Infantry, July 15, 1861 - October 1, 1863

    Henry C. McKenzie, 3rd Georgia Infantry, June 1, 1861 - January 28, 1863

    Charles R. Beddingfield, 38th Alabama Infantry

    Samuel L. Cowart, Cobb's Legion

  8. #78
    Quote Originally Posted by Legion View Post
    no one is forcing sharpshooters or line infantry to fight in certain formations.
    My concern lies not with the tactics, there will be dev implemented tools to encourage people to fight together. My concern comes when it finally gets to the maps where the CSA must take the point from the union. If you show up facing a line of defending sharpshooters or 42nd PA all carrying sharps rifles.

    In game currently, the sharps rifle can complete a standing reload in 9 seconds, and 10 if kneeling. ALL CSA weapons currently require 20 seconds standing and 21 seconds kneeling to reload. Therefore, our options will be limited, because for every shot we can fire, they will fire 2.

    To be fair, the attacking force will always and should always be at a disadvantage, but if facing an enemy that can shoot as well as you, but can shoot twice as many shots in the same time, you will come out on bottom consistently.

    Because of this, I do think that there should be a limit on how many can carry that weapon for the purpose of balance. I understand that superior tactics and organization can overcome most obstacles, but ultimately, it is a game designed to be fun and ultimately (hopefully) balanced.

  9. #79
    WoR-Dev TrustyJam's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Denmark
    Posts
    3,485
    Our limiting system is built quite well in terms of tweaks and changes. We'll be able to limit number of regiments per skirmish area, classes available in each regiment, weapons available in each regiment so expect to see ongoing balancing once it's been released.

    - Trusty

  10. #80

    CSA Major

    Profender's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2016
    Location
    Maryland
    Posts
    244
    Quote Originally Posted by TrustyJam View Post
    Our limiting system is built quite well in terms of tweaks and changes. We'll be able to limit number of regiments per skirmish area, classes available in each regiment, weapons available in each regiment so expect to see ongoing balancing once it's been released.

    - Trusty
    A ratio per active people from each company? for a line infantry company 1 scoped rifle for active in-game 25 members perhaps. If you read about the limited amount of scoped rifles handed out that would make sense. And then a larger ratio for the actual sharpshooting companies.

    Quote:
    "In addition to his regular routine of drill and inspection, his interest in sharpshooting when his Division allocated five whitworth rifles imported from England"

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •