Thread: Anyone near Charleston, SC up for a Maultrie/Sumter visit???

CSA Lieutenant General

Anyone near Charleston, SC up for a Maultrie/Sumter visit???

I'll be leaving Myrtle Beach in about 30 minutes and heading to Charleston, if anyone is interested. Messagage me on here or steam.

Have a good weekend.
    Civil War Ancestors:

CSA Colonel

Sadly im two hours away. Hope you have a good time!
    "If we were wrong in our contest, then the Declaration of Independence of 1776 was a grave mistake and the revolution to which it led was a crime. If Washington was a patriot; Lee cannot have been a rebel."

"I want you to try to teach to your children and to your children's children that ours was not a lost cause. I want you to tell them that we were fighting for the right ..."

Wade Hampton III

CSA Lieutenant General

Thanks Locke. I actually ended up not going the other day when i posted. But I will be heading that way before the week is over. I've been to Sumter before, but failed to visit Moultrie when I was there. So I'm heading back down for another visit. I'm sorry to see that there doesn't appear to be much in remembrance of Ft. Wagner (the fort that the 54th Massachusetts lead the attack on, represented in the movie Glory). I'm sure there's lots of other Civil War related things in Charleston that I've not seen.
    Civil War Ancestors:

CSA Colonel

Quote Originally Posted by dmurray6 View Post
    Thanks Locke. I actually ended up not going the other day when i posted. But I will be heading that way before the week is over. I've been to Sumter before, but failed to visit Moultrie when I was there. So I'm heading back down for another visit. I'm sorry to see that there doesn't appear to be much in remembrance of Ft. Wagner (the fort that the 54th Massachusetts lead the attack on, represented in the movie Glory). I'm sure there's lots of other Civil War related things in Charleston that I've not seen.
    Sadly nothing remains of Battery Wagner (More than half of my ancestors served there at one point or another) or Gregg on Morris Island. But if you are up for it there are tons of other civil war fortifications around SC. In Georgetown (30-45 min from Myrtle beach) there is Battery White, one of the best preserved fortifications I have ever seen, on James Island south of Charleston there is Secessionville, site of the Battle of Secessioville, and Battery Number 5 part of the James Island fortification line. At Mount Pleasant there is the Christ Church Lines and Fort Palmetto. At Hilton Head there is Fort Mitchell. Near Columbia there is the Congaree Creek trenches. At Erhardt there is the Battle of Rivers bridge works. Hope you can visit some of them!
    "If we were wrong in our contest, then the Declaration of Independence of 1776 was a grave mistake and the revolution to which it led was a crime. If Washington was a patriot; Lee cannot have been a rebel."

"I want you to try to teach to your children and to your children's children that ours was not a lost cause. I want you to tell them that we were fighting for the right ..."

Wade Hampton III

CSA Lieutenant General

Quote Originally Posted by Locke1740 View Post
    Sadly nothing remains of Battery Wagner (More than half of my ancestors served there at one point or another) or Gregg on Morris Island. But if you are up for it there are tons of other civil war fortifications around SC. In Georgetown (30-45 min from Myrtle beach) there is Battery White, one of the best preserved fortifications I have ever seen, on James Island south of Charleston there is Secessionville, site of the Battle of Secessioville, and Battery Number 5 part of the James Island fortification line. At Mount Pleasant there is the Christ Church Lines and Fort Palmetto. At Hilton Head there is Fort Mitchell. Near Columbia there is the Congaree Creek trenches. At Erhardt there is the Battle of Rivers bridge works. Hope you can visit some of them!
    Nice, thanks for the information. I actually had a relative that used to live in Georgetown, before she passed. I've been there once, and driven through many times on my way to Charleston, but had never heard of Battery White. Sounds like something I should pay a visit.
    Civil War Ancestors:

CSA Colonel

Quote Originally Posted by dmurray6 View Post
    Nice, thanks for the information. I actually had a relative that used to live in Georgetown, before she passed. I've been there once, and driven through many times on my way to Charleston, but had never heard of Battery White. Sounds like something I should pay a visit.
    I went there for the first time about a month ago because one of my ancestors served there. Besides the amount of mosquitoes there it was an amazing experience. Ive never seen another fortification like it!

Wade Hampton III