Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Preventing officer spam (kinda)

Preventing officer spam (kinda)

Recently in a 1st Texas event with the Union, a skirmish battle, I witnessed the Union starting to spam officers and basically go full Rambo and charge our lines and doing whatever in groups of at least 8 officers, and sometimes even more. Now you can say, "Oh this is combat, stuff can happen.", true, but neither the Union nor the Confederacy sent their entire officer corps to charge the enemy line over and over until they drained us of tickets. This was extraordinarily frustrating, but we continued on and I still had fun in the event.

Post event this got me thinking, my very wise 2 am logic started to kick in and I thought, "How could they prevent this?". And I'm sure, just like the other greatest theories and speeches were voiced, I voiced it on Teamspeak, and some thought it wasn't that bad so after fixing my account I decided to make a post about it on the first game forums I know the Devs are actually active!

So, the idea. Well, after asking if the Developers plan to incorporate the whole company system from the main work page, such as if you are a Sergeant in the Company tool, that's the insignia you get when you go NCO, or if you are a Captain that's the insignia you get but it would be very low priority becaus it is so minor. Or instead of just changing your steam name for the Company, you actually -join- it in the game and make the grouping a lot easier, and for the officers that don't use mics or don't speak english well, they can use a company specific text chat. But I am getting way off track, the main idea is this. A max officer system for companies.

Example;
    Let's take my company, 1st Texas H Company. We have two Officers that are very important, the CO and the XO, so the minimum would be -two- officers of the Captain and the First Lieutenant (both are slots that would be filled in the Company Tool. Now, we have 3 platoons, each platoon would have a Second Lieutenant and each platoon must have a minimum of 15 people so there is some sort of way to prevent people from just spreading out a tiny company to get a ton of officers ,or, you can set a limit of like four platoons for a company (and if you wanted to properly command more than four in combat, it's gonna be a total mess so four may be a good limit) but they can have as many people as they wanted past 15 people in a platoon for whatever organizational reasons, like at this point some companies put all beta backers or people who just aren't able to play the game in a different platoon and active people in the First Platoon, etc. Anyways, the main idea is to limit the amount of officers to either 6 in total (Captain, First Lieutenant, then 4 Second/First Lieutenants, or however many platoons they would have) to prevent a losing team that really wants to win/bad sport winning team, trying to spam officers to drain tickets or take a point then immediately switch back.

I hope this makes sense to a degree, if anyone reads this and has questions you can ask and I know this may not be the best explanation of what I wanna get across, but you should get it to a degree.

CSA Major

Yes, I was just about to make this post myself. We were just on Burnside Bridge, and all 20 members of the Union team spawned as officers. The entire server just dropped. Something does need to be done, because it ruins the events, and game play.

1st Lt. Zachariah Walsh
    3rd NC Co. A

CSA Major

I always thought it should be similar to the company tool. Make it so that there can only be 1-2 officers per 10 men.
    Jesse S. Crosby, 20th Georgia Infantry, July 15, 1861 - May 6, 1864

Samuel T. McKenzie, 20th Georgia Infantry, July 15, 1861 - September 2, 1862

Joseph C. McKenzie, 20th Georgia Infantry, July 15, 1861 - October 1, 1863

Henry C. McKenzie, 3rd Georgia Infantry, June 1, 1861 - January 28, 1863

Charles R. Beddingfield, 38th Alabama Infantry

Samuel L. Cowart, Cobb's Legion

CSA Captain

The developers said they are working on a cap for officers on both teams so one side can't all spam colts.
    Texas Poppin B
    My Youtube:https://www.youtube.com/c/SarisTX

Yep.

Limitations are being tested by us currently. Got one or two kinks to work out and they'll be ready.

- Trusty

USA General of the Army

In Maryland State Near to both Antietam and Gettysburg, Harper's Ferry et al.
    A suggestions about spawning in ... would it be possible to spawn players in various areas of their side based on unit affiliation so that when units do try to sort themselves out, their not overrun by players who don't want to be or are not part of that unit?

CSA Captain

Quote Originally Posted by A. P. Hill View Post
    A suggestions about spawning in ... would it be possible to spawn players in various areas of their side based on unit affiliation so that when units do try to sort themselves out, their not overrun by players who don't want to be or are not part of that unit?
    I like this idea and also not spawning inside of each other too.
    Texas Poppin B
    My Youtube:https://www.youtube.com/c/SarisTX

Quote Originally Posted by A. P. Hill View Post
    Not at the moment, no.

- Trusty

To be fair, Burnsides Bridge is massively unbalanced, with the rebels having as many troops as the union, which is not even close to historical.
    http://i.imgur.com/STUHVb8.png

CSA Major

Quote Originally Posted by David Dire View Post
    To be fair, Burnsides Bridge is massively unbalanced, with the rebels having as many troops as the union, which is not even close to historical.
    The union may have had 14k or so men (can't remember the exact number) and the Georgians only around 300 but very few union soldiers could actually move across at any one time. That's one of the reasons the bridge was such a good defensive position, it created a funnel to where the union couldn't take advantage of it's numbers.

The main reason the Union even got across the bridge was because the Georgians ran out of ammunition and had no choice but to retreat.
    Jesse S. Crosby, 20th Georgia Infantry, July 15, 1861 - May 6, 1864

Samuel T. McKenzie, 20th Georgia Infantry, July 15, 1861 - September 2, 1862

Joseph C. McKenzie, 20th Georgia Infantry, July 15, 1861 - October 1, 1863

Henry C. McKenzie, 3rd Georgia Infantry, June 1, 1861 - January 28, 1863

Charles R. Beddingfield, 38th Alabama Infantry

Samuel L. Cowart, Cobb's Legion