Thread: Formation Menu

Formation Menu

The problem
    Alright so, if you have literally ever played WoR in combat and tried and form anything more than "k so can u guiz like, make a line idk" with some insecure officer who doesn't know what to do, you know that formations can be a little frustrating to form, especially with loud noises and the such, and you can just end up wasting time because some people are unsure with formations or whatever, or you simply cannot relay the specific formation.

The origin....
    One day, while I was being a Private and simultaneously being a Captain of the team, that for some odd reason, people just listened to me (don't ask me why we won through and destroyed the Confederates on Burnside Bridge so ), I was using the line tool to try and encourage people to form ranks but they would fade away or not really be helpful and the few seconds I spent trying to quickly draw a line, people look down, get confused and oh my; it appears we have been thoroughly bayoneted. Whilst I was frustrated and respawning, I thought to myself, "What if we could place the most common formations on the ground? I should totally post on the forums about this!".

The solution
    This would essentially allow for Officers to quickly place formations on the ground that is not just a line, and they could do this neatly and quickly with maybe a Q radial menu that you had to hold in order to acces the menu, but if you just tapped Q you could still quickly draw a line, but the menu would have a few basic formations, add more if you think I am missing some (made in MS Paint to give a visual idea, and also I have different names and so does everyone else);
    Double Rank
    double rank.jpg
    Staggered
    staggered.jpg
    Double Column
    double column.jpg

Okay so, some of these you wouldn't -have- to add, but they may just be helpful, the point is this next part is a maybe and I would get why not. Basically, players could make their own formations and add them to their radial wheel as officer, so if a company or regiment has their own stuff, and officer could make it and quickly deploy it in the field if they find that it is often times messed up or can take too long to do even with experienced soldiers. There would be a tool or something like that they could use to make them, but if it was custom it most likely would have a set size limit so it's not massive, and it too can fade but officers can choose the fade time, from 3 to 4 seconds for stuff like the column, double rank, and staggered that don't need to be there long to upwards of 7 seconds for bigger formations that need more time to form. And just like the thing we have now, it would have a small ghost only the officer can see in order to aide with placement. I know people could abuse this with drawing penises or whatever, but it would fade away and there would be a slight cool down so it's not spamed, plus you can kinda do that with the current system if you put your officers to it.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by McMuffin; 08-01-2017 at 07:40 AM.

USA Captain

I believe this is already in the works, the regular bland line is just a placeholder.
    Captain Adam G. Malloy, 6th Wisconsin Volunteer Infantry Regiment, Company A

USA Captain

Seems a very exelent good idea. . . But !
    As i said before in WoR forum, doing lines is to difficult, because you cant orientate or march proper, in 1ste person wiev.The lines are a mess, and to difficult to achive fast.
    Once again i advocate for a limited 3 person wiev . . .

Thanks!
    And I know it is, it's really not all that hard to -form- it, but, the collision needs to be worked on so you get bumped out and have to fall in on the end and this can happen multiple times as the lines tries to shift and adjust, adding possibly 4-7 seconds.