Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Miller's cornfield union spawn

USA General of the Army

In Maryland State Near to both Antietam and Gettysburg, Harper's Ferry et al.
    Okay, that is a bit on the strange side.

USA Brigadier General

word 'round the office is war isn't fair

USA General of the Army

Quote Originally Posted by michaelsmithern View Post
    word 'round the office is war isn't fair
    Nice of you guys to Admit the Tactics used are Unfair but, as cowardly and self-indulgent as they are, that is not the Issue.
    The Topic is about the desire for the Union spawn point to be moved closer to facilitate these Tactics and I think it does the Game a disservice.
    It makes the "Sprint Button" and "Spawn Point" the only things to really be tested and we already know that they work.
    My Great Great Grandfather, Isaac MacDonal Cooley, served as a Pathfinder Cavalry Scout
    in the 1st Arkansas Cavalry Regiment (Dobbin's) Company K
    My Avatar flies his Unit Guidon to Honor his Service.
    My Credo is a simple one ... Unit before Self with Honor above ALL else.

You need to calm the hell down, is what.

It's a game in alpha. Not only that, but it is imposisble to be cowardly nor brave in a video game. Stop insulting the winners because you were the loser.
    http://i.imgur.com/STUHVb8.png

USA General of the Army

Wow stop getting your Union Squeaker panties in a bundle.
    The only one I see not calm is you and it is unbecoming of an Officer.
    Cowardice comes in many forms and DOES translate into game actions.
    But .... again ... rather than stay On Topic and defend your position you resort to striking out and proving my point by relying on the Union policy of "Win by hook or by crook because Honor means nothing."

BOT: The spawn points, as pointed out by the Powers That Be, are for testing and might not be those used in the actual game.
    I Wholeheartedly agree that Union spawn points, especially at the cornfield, could use some adjusting.
    It just depends upon what they want Tested.
    My thought, again, is that the defenders (Union or Reb) ought to have a chance to prepare a defense if we want to actually Skirmish.
    My Great Great Grandfather, Isaac MacDonal Cooley, served as a Pathfinder Cavalry Scout

And you stick to the common neo-confederate fighting style of "senselessly insult whoever I'm talking to because I can't interact with humans and my parents abused me."
    http://i.imgur.com/STUHVb8.png

USA General of the Army

Woah simmer down, Sir.
    Obviously, by how apoplectic you are getting, my "Union Ribbing" is coming across more harshly than intended.
    I am making a Generalized Indictment of Tactics and not intending it as a targeted Personal Attack, as you appear to be taking it.
    We are a Community that needs to work together, for this game to succeed.
    Admittedly, the banter can get out of hand but in the end there is no need to attack a Player rather than his Toon.
    It would be preposterous to believe that ... just because I yell, "Die Yankee Invader who works for an Over Oppressive Evil Government," while driving a bayonet into a Toon's chest ... that it means I desire to show up at your place of work and kill you.
    A bit of separation from one's Toon is both necessary and healthy.
    If I have given any impression that I dislike any Player, rather than his Toon, I honestly apologize.

BOT:
    The Point I have been making, from the start, is that moving the spawn point will turn that map into every other map ...
    useless for testing purposes.
    You can't test Fighting if there is none and Current Union Tactics favor quickly cycling maps with minimal amounts of fighting.
    This is neither Productive nor Fun.
    Last edited by John Cooley; 08-08-2017 at 08:24 AM.

USA General of the Army

You are not wrong in saying that the Union do point rush. Our objective is to take the point in the end. That said when the Union do try for a prolonged fight and use either close formation or hard thought out tactics, maps like Hooker's Push or Burnside's Bridge quickly become tiresome and dull for the Union. Burnside is due to the obvious difficulty of getting across the bridge as it should be. Hooker's though quickly picks away at Union's nerves as it takes ~5 at the quick step (thank you Saris) to get into the fight only to possibly be picked off by a well aimed or lucky rebel shot or falling artillery and then have to repeat that distance. Without the forwards flag spawn Hooker's will likely be avoided by the average Union player and played with gritted teeth by Union units.

USA General of the Army

You are definitely right on that Long Marathon Trudge ... having slogged it way too many times myself.
    Again, my suggestion would be to move both spawns forward.
    Boredom can kill a Skirm as much as any other reason, for sure.
    It lends itself to letting the Yanks have the point so we can cycle to a "better" map.

That long hike to Point is especially not worth it when there are fewer numbers fighting.
    Once pushed off the Point it is almost impossible to get back to it in time, much less retake it.

Perhaps, the new Confed Defense maps will be different but, as Trusty mentioned, they are trying to Test the Historical Movements of Units.
    This Thread, and all the good input therein, ought to convince them that some tweaking is still needed.

We're not currently looking at making the march shorter on the map in question. As stated earlier flag respawns will change it up quite a bit but the map is intended to be a big one. If all we wanted was crazy close quater instant action scenarios we'd do nothing but Hagerstown Turnpike style skirmish areas - we don't though, we want each to feel different and give different tactical challenges and options to the players.

- Trusty