Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: 23-08-2017 Thirty-Seventh Field Report: Pledge Reward Uniforms & Harper's Ferry

CSA Major

Quote Originally Posted by TrustyJam View Post
    That is the plan.

Probably a good time to give you all an update as to the availability of the backer reward uniforms.

When first conceived, before the Kickstarter, the plan was indeed to have generic uniforms available for non backers in the regiments that are featured as reward uniforms and then only to have the backers wear the "correct" uniform.

While in theory sound, the sheer number of regiments we wish to feature will mean very little to no chance of a backer ever being able to wear his reward uniform (he'd had to hope the correct skirmish area featuring the regiment of his reward is being played or (at a later stage, such as in historical battle mode possibly, his regiment would be voted in as one of the active ones of the match).

This all ends up giving extremely little value to the reward and is why (at the very least for skirmishes) we're going to allow you to use your reward uniforms whenever you wish. Faction locks are obviously still in place (can't use a 11th Mississippi uniform while fighting for the Union) but the rewards won't be tied to regiments as was first planned.

This might seem like a step away from authenticity and perhabs it is a bit. Please, however keep in mind the relatively small amount of people with these rewards - never obtainable again once the crowdfunding campaign ends.

We want to make the reward feel like It's worth something (it ought to be considering the asking prices) and we can only do that by making it useable far more often than whenever the correct regiment just happens to be featured.

Lastly, we are still very open to change this stuff, especially the availability of the uniforms in the historical battle mode when that launches in the future. Please don't hesitate to let us know your thoughts!

- Trusty
    Only thing that is on my mind is the special uniform the 15th Alabama Company G had, and how I wish that would be in the game eventually.
    These special uniforms you guys shown us are amazing in detail. Something a lot of people are looking forward to even though I would never wear the Mississippi uniform I am very glad to see it in-game looks amazing. Again hope to have that also when time permits for the 15th AL Co. G

--- Wearing bright red shirts, Richmond gray frock coats and trousers, and a colorful and diverse attire of headgear. Each cap bore an HP, which stood for Henry Pioneers. So colorful and weighed down with comforts from home in their knapsacks, the Henry County Pioneers were dubbed as "Oates' Zouaves." Each soldier of this gaudy company wore a Secession Badge which stood for "Liberty, Equality, and Fraternity," copied from the French Revolution. Private Barnett of G Company stated: "We have the finest looking company in the regiment, and have the praise of being the best drill company in the manual of arms."---
    Last edited by Profender; 08-24-2017 at 04:54 AM.

USA Captain

That is the plan.

Probably a good time to give you all an update as to the availability of the backer reward uniforms.

When first conceived, before the Kickstarter, the plan was indeed to have generic uniforms available for non backers in the regiments that are featured as reward uniforms and then only to have the backers wear the "correct" uniform.

While in theory sound, the sheer number of regiments we wish to feature will mean very little to no chance of a backer ever being able to wear his reward uniform (he'd had to hope the correct skirmish area featuring the regiment of his reward is being played or (at a later stage, such as in historical battle mode possibly, his regiment would be voted in as one of the active ones of the match).

This all ends up giving extremely little value to the reward and is why (at the very least for skirmishes) we're going to allow you to use your reward uniforms whenever you wish. Faction locks are obviously still in place (can't use a 11th Mississippi uniform while fighting for the Union) but the uniform rewards won't be tied to regiments as was first planned.

This might seem like a step away from authenticity and perhabs it is a bit. Please, however keep in mind the relatively small amount of people with these rewards - never obtainable again once the crowdfunding campaign ends.

We want to make the reward feel like It's worth something (it ought to be considering the asking prices) and we can only do that by making it useable far more often than whenever the correct regiment just happens to be featured.

Lastly, we are still very open to change this stuff, especially the availability of the uniforms in the historical battle mode when that launches in the future. Please don't hesitate to let us know your thoughts!

- Trusty
    I'm not saying you shouldn't have offered regiment specific uniforms as rewards but I think the rewards would be better if they were all guns or accessories. I remember once you replied to someone asking why only $581 backers got J.F. Brown target rifles by saying something along the lines of " only people with a lot of money could privately purchase these rifles so to parallel that you have to pledge a large amount to be able to use this rifle". Basically what i'm saying is anyone could've joined any regiment but not everyone could afford top of the line weaponry and as you've said there are not enough people who've pledged that high to have a sizable force of the 11th Mississippi represented in-game therby nullifying the purpose of them being a reward.
    "Better dead than reb"- Someone probably

Quote Originally Posted by rebeldestroyer View Post
    I'm not saying you shouldn't have offered regiment specific uniforms as rewards but I think the rewards would be better if they were all guns or accessories. I remember once you replied to someone asking why only $581 backers got J.F. Brown target rifles by saying something along the lines of " only people with a lot of money could privately purchase these rifles so to parallel that you have to pledge a large amount to be able to use this rifle". Basically what i'm saying is anyone could've joined any regiment but not everyone could afford top of the line weaponry and as you've said there are not enough people who've pledged that high to have a sizable force of the 11th Mississippi represented in-game therby nullifying the purpose of them being a reward.
    I'm not sure I follow you. I don't see any of the rewards as being purposeless. Could you please go a bit more into detail?

We're basically bringing the uniform rewards up to the availability of the weapon rewards.

If a regiment you've selected used, say, rifles you'll be able to use your backer reward rifles (taking up the same numbers as any other rifle would do in the regiment (percentage limited weapons stuff to be introduced fairly soon).

If the regiment had a few scoped weapons you'll be able to use your target rifle, again from that same regimental "pool" of scoped rifles available.

This ensures maximum usability of the rewards with no changes to power (no buy to win). The check marks for the uniform usage is instead of the weapon availability check, simply a check regarding class availability (NCO, officer, flag bearer, etc).

- Trusty

USA Captain

I'm not sure I follow you. I don't see any of the rewards as being purposeless. Could you please go a bit more into detail?

We're basically bringing the uniform rewards up to the availability of the weapon rewards.

If a regiment you've selected used, say, rifles you'll be able to use your backer reward rifles (taking up the same numbers as any other rifle would do in the regiment (percentage limited weapons stuff to be introduced fairly soon).

If the regiment had a few scoped weapons you'll be able to use your target rifle, again from that same regimental "pool" of scoped rifles available.

This ensures maximum usability of the rewards with no changes to power (no buy to win). The check marks for the uniform usage is instead of the weapon availability check, simply a check regarding class availability (NCO, officer, flag bearer, etc).

- Trusty
    that last sentence of mine didn't come out right. I was saying that making the uniforms available when playing all regiments is a good way of nullifiying the fact that there are too few to make up a sizable unit. But my main point is that uniform's are an odd choice for rewards considering they are just a product of what regiment you're a part of and accesory items would make for better rewards.(not saying that you shouldn't give uniforms as a reward concidering they were promised as a reward and you've already modeled them)
    "Better dead than reb"- Someone probably

CSA Brigadier General

That is the plan.

This all ends up giving extremely little value to the reward and is why (at the very least for skirmishes) we're going to allow you to use your reward uniforms whenever you wish. Faction locks are obviously still in place (can't use a 11th Mississippi uniform while fighting for the Union) but the uniform rewards won't be tied to regiments as was first planned.

- Trusty
    You could add a hidden option only available to backers that allows them to select pledge reward units in addition to the two standard ones in Skirmish mode.
    Hit that Subscribe Button

https://www.youtube.com/user/360Nomad

Quote Originally Posted by Extracrispi View Post
    You could add a hidden option only available to backers that allows them to select pledge reward units in addition to the two standard ones in Skirmish mode.
    That is sort of what we'll do although stated in a roundabout way.

If chosen, the reward uniform will overwrite the uniform in the selected regiment.

They need to be kept together due to balance (class and weapon limitations)

- Trusty

CSA Brigadier General

That is sort of what we'll do although stated in a roundabout way.

If chosen, the reward uniform will overwrite the uniform in the selected regiment.

They need to be kept together due to balance (class and weapon limitations)

- Trusty
    So if I select to have the 11th MS to override let's say the Louisiana Tigers, I would retain the weapons (M1841 and M1855 rifles if I recall) and stats of the of the Tigers, but have appearance of an 11th MS infantryman instead?
    Hit that Subscribe Button

https://www.youtube.com/user/360Nomad

CSA Lieutenant Colonel

Beautiful work gentlemen!

CSA Captain

Looking good

USA Captain

Great job Devs