Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Shape up ! Saturday events !

CSA Lieutenant Colonel

Quote Originally Posted by Valk View Post
    We, my good sir, indeed need to talk. If you would add me on steam for easier contact, if you please, add [DI] Valk on steam.
    You remind me of another member in these forums and in game.

CSA Lieutenant General

Quote Originally Posted by F. L. Villarreal View Post
    You remind me of another member in these forums and in game.
    I hope it is a good reminder

USA Captain

Lol that is quite the observation Regulator. Not to insult anyone myself but that was my motivating factor with starting a federal company. Jump on our teamspeak one day when we are online (evenings EST and weekends as well), I think you would enjoy yourself with us. Which company are you with btw?
    I am not in any Company. I do often play along with the 42Pa and major Stone. As the game is to be exspanded with cav and arty i rather wait to choose a regiment/Company, until this is implemented. I think i will look great on a horse .... Maybe

CSA Lieutenant Colonel

Quote Originally Posted by TheRegulator View Post
    I am not in any Company. I do often play along with the 42Pa and major Stone. As the game is to be exspanded with cav and arty i rather wait to choose a regiment/Company, until this is implemented. I think i will look great on a horse .... Maybe
    I hope that comes sooner rather than later. Horses will be a beautiful addition to this.

USA Lieutenant General

A pertinent reason as to why we're re-hosting "War of Rights Community" Events, check us out!

USA General of the Army

"Competent" and "Officer" are mutually exclusive.

I've noticed these tin soldiers that go in as an officer and automatically start commanding people. You don't always need an officer, but you will need a leader. There doesn't have to be one person in charge if you only have a handful of people so long as everyone is clear on the objective and work together to cover each other's back.

When I first saw the title of this thread I thought it was for a gym class.

Part of the problem is that anyone can take officer. It's really just another weapon class. If you think the cream is going to magically rise to the top and have officer classes you'd be wrong. Even once there are private servers I can only imagine the pain of trying to get chosen people into officer classes without kicking people. I'm not saying that there should be some sort of approved officer-taking ability but a more dynamic spawn system where you fill out a rank in an existing 'company' would be better. And once you get so many volunteers you can vote one to be the officer or vote to remove an officer. Or people can just lose their reverence with the class in public play. I'm quite frankly tired of toeing the line for random idiots who micromanage the way we fire for no reason whatsoever. Firing by volley is almost useless since firepower means nothing if you don't have a target. I'm gradually not firing into nothingness more and more as I lose respect for the vision projected by randoms in officer classes, if I'm even anywhere around them. In short, people aught to just play the game and work together and find out what works.

Even more ideally but non essential... with each successive respawn you could join a 'company' to spawn in with allotting one officer. So instead of a 'trickle back' effect of players returning to their position where they died you could have a reinforcing unit. This of course shouldn't be hard set and many would rightfully ignore the concept of working together with who they spawn with. It also might require mucked up spawn times and a sucky experience for the strays who die in ones and twos waiting for a reinforcing company to form. People generally agree that spawning in 'waves' is better than spawning alone. Their own new tactical unit. I always felt that infantry games should spawn in squads with independent 'scores' (if there is any score) so that they have another motivation and goal than just returning to the action as fast as they can. So at the end you'd have a 'most effective squads' list and show which spawned squad did the most. I'm not sure if I agree with that anymore but it's how I used to think.

I wish people would stop revering the officer class so much because it's never going to mean something. It seems the majority of players at this juncture are willing to follow any random person who claims to be an officer in order to make it work. I've attempted to offer alternatives but rarely do I get more than a few players. I was going to start an advice thread for running teams some time soon, mostly with a lot of don'ts.
    Last edited by Poorlaggedman; 08-29-2017 at 05:11 PM.

CSA Lieutenant Colonel

Poorlaggedman, I agree with "If you think the cream is going to magically rise to the top and have officer classes you'd be wrong" but that's where it ends. You had me until then. Have you spent any time in the real military? I'm not asking that to be condescending. I am asking more so due to the fact that that you are saying the officer class should not be revered. I disagree. I think it should...our history is rich with stories of officers who went above and beyond the call of duty. You also believe being ordered to fire in volleys in a civil war game is micromanagement and tiring...you do realize that this is a civil war game right? You also realize that Napoleonic tactics were tweaked but still mostly used during the war right?

USA General of the Army

In Maryland State Near to both Antietam and Gettysburg, Harper's Ferry et al.
    Quote Originally Posted by Poorlaggedman View Post
    When I first saw the title of this thread I thought it was for a gym class. ...
    Chicken dinner comment!!!!

Have you spent any time in the real military? I'm not asking that to be condescending. I am asking more so due to the fact that that you are saying the officer class should not be revered. I disagree. I think it should...our history is rich with stories of officers who went above and beyond the call of duty. You also believe being ordered to fire in volleys in a civil war game is micromanagement and tiring...you do realize that this is a civil war game right? You also realize that Napoleonic tactics were tweaked but still mostly used during the war right?
    Yes, five years army. I can't say I saw the cream rising to the top there either.

And you're misunderstanding altogether. There will never, ever, ever be a game where a class which is available to any random player will have respect simply because of that. Even in Battefield, the one 'commander' slot where you could do a lot of unique things was not revered because, once again, totally random player who gets that class. Functionally our Officer class is just a different set of weapons and you can draw lines on the ground. That is it. 3D voice offers a lot of assistance for people trying to organize a team but whether those people are in the officer classes or not is a totally random factor. Gamers are gamers. The trolling is going to get a lot worse, the leadership is going to get a lot worse. Quite frankly it isn't very good now. Leaders lead people to victory. They don't lead them to stage a scene, order guys to fire several random arbitrary drills and then get bored and order a charge so they can also be engaged with their limited weaponry. A volley only serves a purpose if each soldier has a target. A miss does nothing except make one of your guys useless at ranged combat for 25 seconds. so why would someone pull a trigger at a designated moment just because someone says?

You can have people lead people in a game like this but at the bare minimum you have to have a game that will give people a reason to work together. Right now, IMO much of what 'officers' do is detrimental. You'd be better off with an equal number of rambos and good communication.

I'm also very worried about the idea of people spawning off a color bearer. Red flags all over because it's absolutely prime material for a troll and it's presumably another randomly achieved class. I'm seeing too many warning signs that say "Good for closed server events only" on the future of gameplay. Too many people would be happy with that low of a bar.
    Last edited by Poorlaggedman; 08-29-2017 at 08:15 PM.