Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Giving the Flag Bearer a weapon / planting the flag

USA Captain

Giving the Flag Bearer a weapon / planting the flag

For now i don't know if the flag is usefull ( giving buffs to allies or anything like that) but event if it is, i really don't think anyone would want to play it, except to maybe troll around. As he can't do anything, not even pick up a weapon, when the "real" events will start i'm pretty sure nobody will be pleased if their officer forces them to play as Flag Bearer.
    So i suggest we give them a Sword (or maybe a smaller flag that they could use as a spear? don't know if it's histrocally accurate tho) and the option to stuck the flag in the ground ( or at least dropping it) so they can do something else than just standing near the Line.

I also think it would be nice if the flag could be "planted" on the ground, so it can keep giving buffs (if it gives any) to nearby troops while letting he bearer take cover or defend the line from potential charges. Then he'll have to pick it up again to move with the line.

Basically, please give the flag bearer a gameplay that makes people enjoy playing it
    thanks
    "If voting made any difference, they wouldn't let us do it"
    -Mark Twain

CSA Captain

Quote Originally Posted by Grimner View Post
    For now i don't know if the flag is usefull ( giving buffs to allies or anything like that) but event if it is, i really don't think anyone would want to play it, except to maybe troll around. As he can't do anything, not even pick up a weapon, when the "real" events will start i'm pretty sure nobody will be pleased if their officer forces them to play as Flag Bearer.
    So i suggest we give them a Sword (or maybe a smaller flag that they could use as a spear? don't know if it's histrocally accurate tho) and the option to stuck the flag in the ground ( or at least dropping it) so they can do something else than just standing near the Line.

I also think it would be nice if the flag could be "planted" on the ground, so it can keep giving buffs (if it gives any) to nearby troops while letting he bearer take cover or defend the line from potential charges. Then he'll have to pick it up again to move with the line.

Basically, please give the flag bearer a gameplay that makes people enjoy playing it
    thanks

Already been said and talked about and announced by the devs.
    The flag will act as a re-spawn point for the regiment.
    So it is an important task. And I know some guys in the game actually enjoy being the flag bearer!
    Very important guide point for your marches towards the battlefield and for brother regiments to see who you are and recognize you on the battlefield.

No swords or spears or any of that kind will be added to that role/rank.

CSA Major

Being chosen to carry the colours of the regiment, state and nation was an honour that no man would have neglected.
    In time the flag-bearer will have a greater roll to play in WoR, acting as a mobile spawn point and providing buffs/debuffs to players within local proximity. Please read through some of the developer diaries available on the website for more information, it may answer more questions that you have.

USA Captain

My bad then , but still i dont think that many people will be pleased to play a role in which you are just supposed to just stand still.
    I think giving them a weapon should be considered. If it's not, they should at least be able to defend themselves a bit, at least by "pushing" the ennemy with the flag, dealing very little damage, just so they can do something else than just running if they are attacked

I'm not playing this class anyway, but when this game will be on final release, i really think that this class will be hated on by lots of player
    "If voting made any difference, they wouldn't let us do it"
    -Mark Twain

CSA Lieutenant Colonel

My bad then , but still i dont think that many people will be pleased to play a role in which you are just supposed to just stand still.
    I think giving them a weapon should be considered. If it's not, they should at least be able to defend themselves a bit, at least by "pushing" the ennemy with the flag, dealing very little damage, just so they can do something else than just running if they are attacked

I'm not playing this class anyway, but when this game will be on final release, i really think that this class will be hated on by lots of player
    If you are playing in a company as an officer...you spend a lot of time moving around but don't really get to discharge your weapon or slash anyone unless you're in a charge. At least that's how our companies do it. Carrying the colors is an honor.

CSA Captain

Once the flag mobile spawn is introduced, you are going to be a great asset to your company even if you are not leading or shooting.
    Texas Poppin B
    My Youtube:https://www.youtube.com/c/SarisTX

USA General of the Army

Since both Terms are being used, more or less, interchangeably it begs the question ...
    Will the Flags be a few Regiment OR many many Company spawn points?
    OR perhaps a set number of Flag Bearers being allowed per Map, similar to the current Skirm restrictions on Officers and NCOs?
    My Great Great Grandfather, Isaac MacDonal Cooley, served as a Pathfinder Cavalry Scout
    in the 1st Arkansas Cavalry Regiment (Dobbin's) Company K
    My Avatar flies his Unit Guidon to Honor his Service.
    My Credo is a simple one ... Unit before Self with Honor above ALL else.

CSA Lieutenant General

Quote Originally Posted by John Cooley View Post
    Since both Terms are being used, more or less, interchangeably it begs the question ...
    Will the Flags be a few Regiment OR many many Company spawn points?
    OR perhaps a set number of Flag Bearers being allowed per Map, similar to the current Skirm restrictions on Officers and NCOs?
    I think Trusty had mentioned in another flag related thread, something about one flag per regiment in skirmishes, not sure that I remember if there was an agreed upon suggestion for larger open battles (non skirmishes).
    Civil War Ancestors:

USA General of the Army

Quote Originally Posted by dmurray6 View Post
    I think Trusty had mentioned in another flag related thread, something about one flag per regiment in skirmishes, not sure that I remember if there was an agreed upon suggestion for larger open battles (non skirmishes).
    Yes, Sir, you are correct about Skirm Maps.
    Thus my asking for Clarification, for Battle Maps.
    Hard to set up a Company Roster when you don't know which Roles will be available.
    Example: Blacksmith and Farrier were hinted at ... cook, pioneer and chaplain are in Company Tool but undefined.
    My Great Great Grandfather, Isaac MacDonal Cooley, served as a Pathfinder Cavalry Scout
    in the 1st Arkansas Cavalry Regiment (Dobbin's) Company K
    My Avatar flies his Unit Guidon to Honor his Service.
    My Credo is a simple one ... Unit before Self with Honor above ALL else.

CSA Major

The craziest idea, the cook, can hit people with an iron pot =D I mean the actual role in the company tool is for role-play, but that pot, would be pretty funny