Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Reenactment videos

CSA Lieutenant Colonel

Quote Originally Posted by Historical Player View Post
    What was the largest reenactment in history for any war? I imagine it would be Civil War.
    I would say the largest I have ever seen was the Pickett's Charge scene from Gettysburg. They had thousands of extras for that one I believe.
    "The patriot volunteer, fighting for country and his rights, makes the most reliable soldier on Earth." - Lieutenant General Thomas "Stonewall" Jackson

"It is well that war is so terrible. Otherwise we should grow too fond of it." - General Robert E. Lee

"I would rather die a thousand deaths than betray a friend." - Confederate Scout, Sam Davis

Brigadier General James J. Archer
    Archer's Brigade
    A.P. Hill's Light Division
    Army of Northern Virginia

CSA Captain

Quote Originally Posted by [RG]Chewie View Post
    You are either told by a superior officer when to go down or you take a hit when you feel so inclined. IE if you are charging a dug in enemy and they let loose a nasty volley at fairly close range i will usually go down.
    Ah okay thanks for the info
    " ...it appears the Virginia Military Institute will be heard from today."

With virtue as our beacon. Our cause is charged as treason, Battle worn and starving. Through the hell of war we'll keep marching. The birth of our new nation
    - Iced Earth

Quote Originally Posted by SgtRithal View Post
    I would say the largest I have ever seen was the Pickett's Charge scene from Gettysburg. They had thousands of extras for that one I believe.
    Yea, that was massive!

Banned
    Great stuff thanks.

USA Sergeant

Gettysburg (the movie) is small compared to some older movies.

Spartacus used larger numbers of extras for the full size roman legions we see.

Waterloo used many thousands of red army soldiers and lots and lots of horses for the battle sequences.
    (sort of needed back when there was no CGI)

https://youtu.be/sWKk5Sy0JT8?t=17m34s

The Gettysburg reenactment back in 1998 had some 23-26.000 reenactors and is still the largest ever in the US.
    Last edited by thomas aagaard; 07-23-2017 at 02:30 PM.
    Thomas Bernstorff Aagaard

USA Captain

Quote Originally Posted by [RG]Chewie View Post
    You are either told by a superior officer when to go down or you take a hit when you feel so inclined. IE if you are charging a dug in enemy and they let loose a nasty volley at fairly close range i will usually go down.
    Our company did it by birth months. He would shout out a month and those whose month it was they would fall.

CSA Major

Quote Originally Posted by thomas aagaard View Post
    Gettysburg (the movie) is small compared to some older movies.
    Waterloo used many thousands of red army soldiers and lots and lots of horses for the battle sequences.
    If you are take movies into account, Waterloo def. takes the crown. War and Peace had a vast number of extras aswell, but I always had a hard time finding any info about the production, espacially the number of actors.

We in europe got a special way to decide who dies: You don't. (we obviously do, but it is always a bit sad being the only guy to lay dead when 40 muskets had just opened up)