Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Harsh words for players

Harsh words for players

So I've noticed a few things which I don't think are really helping the development process. Correct me if I'm wrong.

My main cause of concern is that people aren't learning what works in gameplay and they will be chewed apart by people who later on will choose to. I'd really prefer this not to turn into one of those 'events vs public servers' communities.

The best example, perhaps is whether massing your team together really helps at all. There's always value in teamwork but when I'm being asked to shoulder up by some push-over ten 12 year-old with no power, I roll my eyes. There's eight of us dude. This isn't the playground.

There is a very, very, very heavy skew towards a reenacting style of play by current players.
    This is bad because we're not getting an accurate picture of gameplay. I get that people are real eager to get the experience they are looking for but what we have now is the gameplay largely sitting in a hammock where it can't be challenged. People need to be more independent-thinking or that hammock is going to overload and come crashing down. As I've said a whole bunch of times, I'd rather have a game that gives you reasons to behave. We'd never know if they were in place though because hardcore donors are willing to sacrifice more. 95% of the players who play this game, won't.
    What's coming.jpg

There is wayyy too much respect for unelected / unnappointed officers.
    Too often I'm finding most players willing to follow any random person in an officer class as if they automatically know what they're talking about. A lot don't. I have guys asking me to stand in double ranks when there's 8 of us. Stop. it. Stop asking me to fire by volley for no reason. You're just assuming we even have a target or have any idea where the enemy are, when not everybody does. Doesn't anyone say anything about where the enemy is? They're too focused on drill and ceremony with public players.

The smart leaders aren't going to spawn in a server with 10 players as an officer. They're going to carry a musket. Stop assuming the developers have appointed people over you and just play the darn game. Many officers aren't there to help the team. They're there to feel special. Winning happens by chance in those circumstances. Numerous times I spawn in and someone's like "alright guys load and fix your bayonets and line up, double ranks." They have no idea what they're talking about. And the enemy team captures the point before we can even get there. This has happened multiple times in the East Woods because the people trying to assert dominance don't even know the map they're on. They don't know what map is next in the rotation. They have no plan, no idea. They waste time and initiative. There is zero connection between the Officer Class and competence. Stop. Assuming. There. Is. Work together and if leaders emerge then they emerge. You should find them in the field, alive and keeping a sustained effort not in the spawn with you every single time you die.

If you want to host an event and reenact, go for it. But is anyone here actually interested in testing the limits of the game so we can, you know, discover and discuss the problems? Why does that have to come later.
    Last edited by Poorlaggedman; 09-12-2017 at 03:50 AM.
    Gameplay Suggestions: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JjUuaVXTJsY

Old Pennsylvania Discord: https://discord.gg/MjxfZ5n

CSA Major

Always with the negativity.
    Pvt. L.J. Perreira

Quote Originally Posted by Poorlaggedman View Post

There is a very, very, very heavy skew towards a reenacting style of play by current players.
    This is bad because we're not getting an accurate picture of gameplay. I get that people are real eager to get the experience they are looking for but what we have now is the gameplay largely sitting in a hammock where it can't be challenged. People need to be more independent-thinking or that hammock is going to overload and come crashing down. As I've said a whole bunch of times, I'd rather have a game that gives you reasons to behave. We'd never know if they were in place though because hardcore donors are willing to sacrifice more. 95% of the players who play this game, won't.

May I ask what kind of game play are you expecting from this game? The devs are shooting for a realistic ACW game. I think majority of the community that we have now want that kind of "reenactment" game play.

Quote Originally Posted by Poorlaggedman View Post
    If you want to host an event and reenact, go for it. But is anyone here actually interested in testing the limits of the game so we can, you know, discover and discuss the problems? Why does that have to come later.
    The last month of Saturday NA events have been pushing the game/ servers to the limits. We have had full servers and majority of the time it has ended in server crash.
    http://i.imgur.com/LR14D03.png

USA 1st Lieutenant

Quote Originally Posted by Morris8911 View Post
    May I ask what kind of game play are you expecting from this game? The devs are shooting for a realistic ACW game. I think majority of the community that we have now want that kind of "reenactment" game play.
    And I think that Poolaggedman wants that kind of play, too, but is worried that when the community expands beyond what we have now, the gameplay will suffer.

Feel free to correct me if I misunderstood, PLM.

Best,
    Dman979

Quote Originally Posted by Dman979 View Post
    And I think that Poolaggedman wants that kind of play, too, but is worried that when the community expands beyond what we have now, the gameplay will suffer.

Feel free to correct me if I misunderstood, PLM.

Best,
    Dman979
    Gotcha. But further down the road with private servers / the company game mode that shouldn't be an issue.

USA 1st Lieutenant

Quote Originally Posted by Morris8911 View Post
    Gotcha. But further down the road with private servers / the company game mode that shouldn't be an issue.
    I think the point he's trying to make, though, is that no one is actually pushing the limits of what the game allows you to do- everyone's coloring in the lines. (As opposed to a stress test, such as a full server.) PLM seems to be pushing a more "no holds barred" type of testing, to see if the play we have now will actually stand up to an flood of players who may have little to no interest in fighting a particular way for the sake of authenticity, and more interest in playing to win by any means possible.

While I understand that there will be private servers further down the road, I suspect from personal experience that the admins and moderators will not be able to keep a 24 hour presence on the server to ensure that players fight in lines. Thus, the game itself should have incentives (both positive and negative) to fight in the way that the developers would like to see.

Again, PLM, feel free to correct me if I'm wrong.

Best,
    Dman979

Quote Originally Posted by Dman979 View Post
    I think the point he's trying to make, though, is that no one is actually pushing the limits of what the game allows you to do- everyone's coloring in the lines. (As opposed to a stress test, such as a full server.) PLM seems to be pushing a more "no holds barred" type of testing, to see if the play we have now will actually stand up to an flood of players who may have little to no interest in fighting a particular way for the sake of authenticity, and more interest in playing to win by any means possible.

While I understand that there will be private servers further down the road, I suspect from personal experience that the admins and moderators will not be able to keep a 24 hour presence on the server to ensure that players fight in lines. Thus, the game itself should have incentives (both positive and negative) to fight in the way that the developers would like to see.

Again, PLM, feel free to correct me if I'm wrong.

Best,
    Dman979
    If there is a major concern that "we are not getting an accurate view of gameplay " then set up an event to test a different gameplay style. Lay out the guide lines to try to create a different type of gameplay. If you present the problem with no solution like stated above it just comes of a negitivity.

USA General of the Army

Crash all the servers! Find all the problems!

In all seriousness I'd love to set up some kind of testing event but too many randomers who refuse to help is a massive issue.

agree with you Bravescot

Yeah, there's a big difference between shooting for a certain type of gamplay and achieving it legitimately and not just through consensus.

My point is that trying to create a cocoon for yourself and those around you only lasts for so long.

I see a lot of people choosing not to even play rather than come in and participate in what's currently seen as good gameplay. Every time I go on people are too eager to conform and sacrifice their own usefulness and even their enjoyment as a player. You can't expect later iterations of players to do that. They won't and it will all come crashing down and we'll end up with a community of hardcores in locked servers creating their own forced gameplay that isn't competitive while unlocked servers breed total chaos. It doesn't have to be like that but if we only play the game in the image of what we think it should be then there's no avoiding that.
    Last edited by Poorlaggedman; 09-12-2017 at 06:13 PM.
    Gameplay Suggestions: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JjUuaVXTJsY

Old Pennsylvania Discord: https://discord.gg/MjxfZ5n