Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

Thread: Harsh words for players

USA Lieutenant General

Quote Originally Posted by Poorlaggedman View Post
    A mod is a game made off another game's engine. War or Rights has a single computer programmer hired. Normal blockbuster video game engines like Crysis have a large team and cost millions of dollars. The newest Crysis engine cost ~$60 million USD to make. I don't think we've had a million contributors yet. It's stupid to make a game from the ground up, especially a niche genre.
    So would you say that GTA V is a mod of the RAGE Engine? Or an entirely new game?

Or are games such as Max Payne, Grand Theft Auto, Red Dead Redemption, Midnight Club all "Mods" because they're using the same engine? No.

A mod is a modification of a GAME, ie R&L is a HL2 mod because it uses assets from HL2, if it was made using the source engine with custom animations and assets then it would be a game running on the Source engine such as HL2, Counter Strike, Day of Defeat.

USA General of the Army

In Maryland State Near to both Antietam and Gettysburg, Harper's Ferry et al.
    A mod is a game made off another game's engine. War or Rights has a single computer programmer hired. Normal blockbuster video game engines like Crysis have a large team and cost millions of dollars. The newest Crysis engine cost ~$60 million USD to make. I don't think we've had a million contributors yet. It's stupid to make a game from the ground up, especially a niche genre.

Wrong! On all accounts.

This is a mod for Cryengine. Our developers didn't make the game from the ground up. There's nothing wrong with being a mod.
    War of Rights is a fully standalone GAME, based on the Cryengine. Its not a mod at all

Bit of a silly topic to discuss really. All games built on existing engines could be labeled as modifications made to those engines I suppose so if you wish to go with that, then yes, we're a mod (like 99% of all other games on the market).

We have two experienced game programmers working full time as well as a UI programmer and a bit of a more all-rounder working on the code part of the game by the way.

- Trusty

Thats right Hinkel. Cryengine is the engine on which War of rights is based. A game is based on an engine.

A mod is based on a existing game, and not on a engine. For example the seven kingdoms mod for total war Attila. The mod is based on the game "total war Attila".

War of rights is a game. NOT a mod.

CSA Lieutenant General

This is a mod for Cryengine. Our developers didn't make the game from the ground up. There's nothing wrong with being a mod.

Crysis was a video game done by Crytek. It was known for being top-notch graphics when it was released. I heard about it at the time. It's had several iterations of engines come afterward and the developers were quite smart to cater to modders. I'm not sure if the latest engines came with a flagship game like the original Crysis or not. Half-life 2 did a similar thing when it released Orangebox and other later versions of it's engine for modders without ever releasing the mythical Half-life 3. Matter of fact some surviving RnL developers jumped on board to convert the game to this very Cryengine, public information releases and all, a few years ago but it fizzled out
    So based on this line of thinking, since Unreal was the first game built on Unreal Engine I, then all of these games are "mods" of Unreal instead of being their own standalone games simply built on Unreal Engine I, even though they are developed by a plethora of companies?......gotcha....... me thinks that you likely do not understand the idea of licensing game development engines.
    Civil War Ancestors:

CSA Captain

I see what your saying. So many times I see companies trying too hard to form lines and end up getting slaughtered. The other day the officers had the entire CSA on Hooker's Push form a big line in the middle of the point to defend it and the Union just split up and surrounded and massacred us. I'm all for realism as long as it's not to the point where it's idiotic.
    2Lt. Obadiah Peyton. 2nd Georgia Infantry Company G

Ancestors:
    Major Charles S Peyton - 19th Virginia Infantry
    John Daniel Belcher - 13th Georgia Infantry
    Elijah Clark Belcher - 47th Georgia Infantry
    William Hughes - 7th Wisconsin Infantry
    Cpt. Thomas J Peyton - Fry's Company, Virginia Light Artillery

I was going off of what Trusty said one month ago on page 3 of the morale thread at the bottom about the team having one programmer.
    http://www.warofrightsforum.com/show...rness-it/page3

I shouldn't have made an argument about something that doesn't matter. I've always understood that when a game is built off another game's engine (which cost an enormous sum of money to make and large teams) for a fraction of the cost--it's a mod. If the developers say it isn't and Crytek bestows that independent label on its licensed customers then that's good enough for me. But it doesn't change anything of the fact that especially as the price lowers, the player quality will plummet if the gameplay is a paper dragon held up by the original players.

Edit:
    Wikipedia has several descriptions of mods types which WoR perfectly fits
    Last edited by Poorlaggedman; 09-19-2017 at 01:27 AM.
    Gameplay Suggestions: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JjUuaVXTJsY

Old Pennsylvania Discord: https://discord.gg/MjxfZ5n

USA Captain

Why is there debate suddenly on whether this games a mod or not. It has nothing to do with the issues this game needs to address. Really reaching here.
    Private Robert Bagford of the 42nd Pennsylvania Infantry "Bucktails" 2nd Battalion Co. E

USA Major

Quote Originally Posted by Shabahh View Post
    Why is there debate suddenly on whether this games a mod or not. It has nothing to do with the issues this game needs to address. Really reaching here.
    This very much