Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast

Thread: Harsh words for players

CSA Lieutenant Colonel

Quote Originally Posted by Bravescot View Post
    And this is why you've chosen to break the rules yourself and lead by example?: http://www.warofrightsforum.com/show...ll=1#post69092

In fairness though I haven't seen this rule that I wrote myself being enforced in months.
    I am talking about someone making racially charged remarks.

Quote Originally Posted by Southern View Post
    This ain't nothing new. Another guy wanting to be the VOICE of the community, it is getting old. That don't help changing much your own conduct will, you should start with that.
    I'm the voice for my company...not the community. A little bit of commonsense goes a long way.

Quote Originally Posted by David Dire View Post
    You need to get better at observing.
    you need to get better at minding your business.

Quote Originally Posted by Shabahh View Post
    Why is there debate suddenly on whether this games a mod or not. It has nothing to do with the issues this game needs to address. Really reaching here.
    Because your friend is trying to make a point on the basis that this game is a mod.
    Last edited by F. L. Villarreal; 09-19-2017 at 12:55 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by F. L. Villarreal View Post
    you need to get better at minding your business.

So do you

CSA Lieutenant Colonel

Quote Originally Posted by SouthCarolina View Post
    So do you
    I don't recall caring what you think...

CSA Captain

Quote Originally Posted by Poorlaggedman View Post
    This is a mod for Cryengine. Our developers didn't make the game from the ground up. There's nothing wrong with being a mod.

Crysis was a video game done by Crytek. It was known for being top-notch graphics when it was released. I heard about it at the time. It's had several iterations of engines come afterward and the developers were quite smart to cater to modders. I'm not sure if the latest engines came with a flagship game like the original Crysis or not. Half-life 2 did a similar thing when it released Orangebox and other later versions of it's engine for modders without ever releasing the mythical Half-life 3. Matter of fact some surviving RnL developers jumped on board to convert the game to this very Cryengine, public information releases and all, a few years ago but it fizzled out
    War of Rights is not a mod. Crysis used CryEngine2 as it's foundation, ALL games have an engine at their core, but the engine they use as that foundation is often changed so much by the end of development as to be almost unrecognizable from the one they began with. It's a source engine, nothing more, nothing less, it is not a game.

As anyone who has ever been involved in the making of a game will tell you, stress testing the servers is one of the very last steps in development, most often coming at the end of beta testing. Seeing as WoR is not out of Alpha yet, I totally fail to see why stress testing the servers is an issue, given that all the game elements are not even implemented yet.

Last, but certainly not least, game play. WoR is indeed a game (not a simulation) based upon the battle of Sharpsburg during the American Civil War. In recent times we've seen a few games that claim to be about a certain period in history, such as Dices World War One effort, Verdun etc etc. But these games reflect little of the period they claim to be based upon, Battlefield 1 is nothing like World War One combat for example. So the issue here is, why even bother to play WoR if it's just going to be Call of Duty with rifled muskets? The simple answer, for me at least, is that I will not bother. I want WoR to reflect ACW combat. I am an experienced FPS gamer, I'm part of the Unsung team (Unsung is a Vietnam War era mod for Arma3) and it has been my experience that players come to our mod looking for that Vietnam immersion, and not to play an FPS in the jungle. Also, contrary to the opinion that 'all mods die out' Unsung has been present through Arma1 & Arma2 and is still going strong in Arma3. Yes WoR is a 'niche' game but that most certainly does not mean people will forgo immersing themselves fully in the ACW experience.

An awful lot will depend on the original community for WoR. If new players are shown how, then they will play this game as the Devs intended, and let us not forget that both line fighting and skirmishing could, & should, have a place in this game. But here in lies the true potential problem for WoR, lack of numbers to be able to actually play this game in the style of the ACW. Too many servers, with too few players on each, will kill this game stone dead. In real life, the one thing, more than any other, that kills off re-enactment in an area are splinter groups. People who break away, for what ever reason, until nobody has the numbers anymore to be able to reflect ACW combat in one single place at any given time. The same will be true of this game, if you are unable to field a sufficient number of troops at any given time, in the same place, then you have no game, no matter how good it may be.

USA General of the Army

Laggedman how drunk where you this time?

CSA Major

Wikipedia has several descriptions of mods types which WoR perfectly fits
    Wiki cannot be used in a court of law because anybody can contribute to it and author what ever they wish.

CSA Captain

Quote Originally Posted by Gator View Post
    I see what your saying. So many times I see companies trying too hard to form lines and end up getting slaughtered. The other day the officers had the entire CSA on Hooker's Push form a big line in the middle of the point to defend it and the Union just split up and surrounded and massacred us. I'm all for realism as long as it's not to the point where it's idiotic.
    The line was formed (whenever possible) before coming into range of enemy fire, imagine the carnage if they had tried to form battle line within range of the Union lines during Pickets charge for example. Plus you have that great bugbear, forming a line in a game is one thing, but wheeling it right or left? good luck with that lol

I feel like the most hopeful player reaction is one in which he physically stays close to friendlies in order to be more effective staying still or advancing. The opposite is true in most circumstances in most games without any reason given for it to be otherwise.

Quote Originally Posted by Sox View Post
    An awful lot will depend on the original community for WoR. If new players are shown how, then they will play this game as the Devs intended, and let us not forget that both line fighting and skirmishing could, & should, have a place in this game. But here in lies the true potential problem for WoR, lack of numbers to be able to actually play this game in the style of the ACW. Too many servers, with too few players on each, will kill this game stone dead. In real life, the one thing, more than any other, that kills off re-enactment in an area are splinter groups. People who break away, for what ever reason, until nobody has the numbers anymore to be able to reflect ACW combat in one single place at any given time. The same will be true of this game, if you are unable to field a sufficient number of troops at any given time, in the same place, then you have no game, no matter how good it may be.
    This is why I think it's imperative that the game doesn't simply become a closed server event platform in order to get what we want out of it. That's not a great way to get new players. It's creates a breeding ground for trolls in which server owners and admins will spend less and less time policing outside of events thus making the game look even worse to newcomers. A game that creates a competitive, realistic battle environment in a public server is the only one which will translate into a thriving and competitive one. Relying on some inherent goodness of players of this particular game to get the outcome you want because of a feeling you have is pure madness in every respect.

Quote Originally Posted by Bravescot View Post
    Laggedman how drunk where you this time?
    You know, actually I was freaking bombed pretty good and I knew it. That's one reason for all my editing. I will say this .... if this game is not a mod then RnL is not a mod for the same reasons.
    Gameplay Suggestions: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JjUuaVXTJsY

Old Pennsylvania Discord: https://discord.gg/MjxfZ5n

I feel like the most hopeful player reaction is one in which he physically stays close to friendlies in order to be more effective staying still or advancing. The opposite is true in most circumstances in most games without any reason given for it to be otherwise.
    We wholeheartedly agree and are currently brewing up the first game systems to (hopefully) make that a reality.

- Trusty

CSA Major

Quote Originally Posted by TrustyJam View Post
    We wholeheartedly agree and are currently brewing up the first game systems to (hopefully) make that a reality.

- Trusty
    excellent
    Pvt. L.J. Perreira