Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: You're Invited!

USA Major

Quote Originally Posted by jwhal View Post
    I played the game for ten years 2001 to 2011 they had options that made it less expensive paying by the year or 1/2 year, 3 months etc. They also have cheaper tier options. Last but not least the free play option lets you play free with limited options rifle, SMG, transport truck. I have had the free play option for several years which is still active.
    You're probably right I'll give it a try.

Cpl. George Anthony
    Gunner

Battery A, 1st New Jersey Light Artillery
    The German Volunteers

Tampa, Florida, USA, North America, Western Hemisphere, Earth, Sol System, Milky Way Galaxy
    I played Horizons: Empire of Istaria in 2003/2004, on a subscription. Then I played City of Heroes (CoH) for over eight years. In both cases, I was paying $14.99(US)/month. This was a LONG time ago. In today's dollars, I'd be paying at least $20/mo. The sub is the price of a movie ticket, popcorn, and drink. It's really not very much when you consider you get 24/7 access to an ongoing campaign with infantry, paratroops, armor, air, and naval units. The Rats (devs) are planning new features and possibly even porting the game over to the Unreal 4 engine, at some point in the future, if things go well on Steam.

One of THE best things is the community. When I played CoH, we had a fantastic playerbase. They did real world charities and held get togethers all over the world. I even know a couple who met ingame and ended up married. She was in Texas and he was in Australia. Now they live in Texas and he's a naturalized US citizen. When CoH closed, I doubted I'd ever find a close knit community like that again. The WWIIOL playerbase is the same or perhaps even closer. They're a fantastic bunch of folks and really look out for one another. Even if for that reason alone, I'm very happy to be able to support the game. Of course, it also just happens to be the most frustrating game this side of golf, which will suck you in and possess your soul and make you love and hate it at the same time.

-Irish
    "Forward, Bucktails, there's fun ahead!" -Lieutenant Colonel Thomas Leiper Kane
    The Bucktails were said to be all superior marksmen, and during the first year of the war they distinguished themselves as skirmishers and sharpshooters. -The Gettysburg Daily
    ODonovan on Star Citizen - odonovan1 on World War II Online - Formerly @Power Play on City of Heroes

CSA Major

One of my favorite memories from WW2OL was when I got to play in a squad with XOOM and some of the other developers. They are a great group and were a lot of fun to hang out with. I've never played another game where I was perfectly content just flying paratroopers to drop zones over and over again, or even running supplies around during an active battle. While neither job gave you points towards ranking up, they were vital roles that needed to be done. There's a cool companion "app" you can download as well that you can have run on your desktop that gives you updates on the current campaign, including alerts and such. Was a great way to know when your side needed some help.

Tampa, Florida, USA, North America, Western Hemisphere, Earth, Sol System, Milky Way Galaxy
    All veteran WWIIOL players, don't forget, the end of the "September pricing" discount for the Welcome Back Soldier promotion is about to end. If you want the best deal to reactivate your subscription, do it before the end of the month. That price will remain in effect as long as the account stays current (payment doesn't lapse), so this can get you a better deal every month for YEARS to come.

Jus' sayin'...

-Irish
    The Bucktails were said to be all superior marksmen, and during the first year of the war they distinguished themselves as skirmishers and sharpshooters. -The Gettysburg Daily
    ODonovan on Star Citizen - odonovan1 on World War II Online - Formerly @Power Play on City of Heroes

CSA Major

Quote Originally Posted by O'Donovan View Post
    All veteran WWIIOL players, don't forget, the end of the "September pricing" discount for the Welcome Back Soldier promotion is about to end. If you want the best deal to reactivate your subscription, do it before the end of the month. That price will remain in effect as long as the account stays current (payment doesn't lapse), so this can get you a better deal every month for YEARS to come.

Jus' sayin'...

-Irish
    Already reactivated... Started playing again and couldn't help myself...

I have to say.. its not fun anymore.

I miss the old days, WITHOUT mobile spawns. Opel Blitz or Laffy rushes, fighting 10 hours in a single small town.

Doing opel rushes with a handfull of sapper to destroy the enemy FB..

But these are gone

Quote Originally Posted by Hinkel View Post
    I have to say.. its not fun anymore.
    I miss the old days, WITHOUT mobile spawns. Opel Blitz or Laffy rushes, fighting 10 hours in a single small town.
    Doing opel rushes with a handfull of sapper to destroy the enemy FB..
    But these are gone
    Not necessarily. They removed the FRUs (forward resupply units). which were a couple crates and a flag, and replaced them with FMS (fortified mobile spawns). They are larger and harder to take down, but they're VERY easy to camp, so the side placing it has to set up zones of control around them. That also means they are usually further from town. There are battles being fought over FMS locations in addition to the town-based battles now. As far as 10 hours in a single small town, there have been battles, recently, where the AO (attack order) was pulled because both sides were down to only bolt action rifles. It's difficult to have a 10 hour battle now, since there are just too many people ingame for the battles to last that long, since the game released on Steam. Instead, the map is moving back and forth, east and west, over and over again. It's like watching a tennis match. This map (campaign) has lasted over 70 days and shows no sign of ending yet. Oh, and truckloads of engineers blowing enemy FBs, is still a thing. It's a hoot.

BTW, Hinkel... Have you reactivated your account for the WBS promotion yet?

-Irish
    Last edited by O'Donovan; 09-29-2017 at 12:54 AM.

Well, I was wrong. Shortly after I posted that last message, the Allies made a push for the Axis factory towns. Satisfying victory conditions, the Allies came out victorious in Campaign 141. Campaign 142 started Sunday (1 October). Now's a great time to get ingame, while everyone is using early war (tier 0) equipment. Hope to see some of you guys ingame.

-Irish
    (odonovan1 in WWIIOL)

CSA Major

I'll be there, probably not too much this week since I'm getting ready to move for a new job. I was ticked that I missed out on the first day of the campaign... completely forgot.