Thread: Chaos on New Map Spawn-Ins

Chaos on New Map Spawn-Ins

Surely this doesn’t even need explaining?

It’s simply chaos in public games and ruining the experience for both public and regiment players. The problem is often exacerbated by organised regiments trying to organise themselves over the VOiP causing further confusion. The disorganisation ruins the tone of the following battle since we don’t have the time or tools to coordinate.

I don’t understand how after all this time this part of the game which is crying out for a makeover isn’t seen as a priority?

It’s killing the fun and very anti-new player.

I don’t mean this in a passive/aggressive sense but do the devs play or watch public games?

So you are saying organized regiments need to find another way to organize themselves in public play???

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Drax View Post
    So you are saying organized regiments need to find another way to organize themselves in public play???
    No.

I’m saying we all need a better more intuitive way to organise when we first spawn in to a public game. Organised regiments and public players. It desperately needs an overhaul.

The most frequent phrase I am hearing about WoR: “I’m trying so hard to like this game but...”.

And when you ask people nearly all of them are frustrated with the lack of tools to play properly. Starting with organising effectively on first spawning.
    Last edited by Quaker; 04-28-2019 at 07:29 AM.

CSA Captain

It's been posted somewhere before. Let people create a group so people can join if they trust the creator . The more join the higher the rank up to captain for the creator. You can't force everyone in a single group

Group leaders can review each other's team work.
    Group members review the leadership

Giving someone to option to create a group provides mostly people who are confident enough to lead or want to get a chance.
    Last edited by Dutchconfederate; 04-28-2019 at 08:34 AM.

CSA Major

I believe it was acknowledged in the last week that seperate spawn points for the regiments is on the list.

All of that is well and good but a planning phase does wonders for organization. All a planning phase would be would be a set period of time of a few minutes before the map goes live where both teams are separated. I tried doing this in an event by restarting the map (setting the next map to the current map and ending the round) but with the lack of effective announcements ---- the base server announcements are a joke --and no "message of the day" style screen for players to view on the server it was majorly confusing to the uninitiated. Team Officers also could not use the use the time well and players did not stick to their roles or the same teams in all cases when the map restarted.

At the most basic level all you need is a visual cue that the map has not started "Planning Phase" or something displayed at the top... a restart_round function after X number minutes where the tickets and objective revert back to the round start settings and each player simply respawns again so the round goes live.

Additionally zeroing out every players ammunition count and taking away their meelee ability while restricting the attacking team to remain in the spawn would help.

Nobody's really asking for this I notice except me but it makes an enormous difference. Rushing players at the start creates chaos fast. Unfortunately certain folks like to zerg rush from the spawn before the other team has 30 seconds to get their bearings. Shenendoah Street being the most prominent example.
    Last edited by Poorlaggedman; 04-28-2019 at 07:18 PM.
    Gameplay Suggestions: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JjUuaVXTJsY

Old Pennsylvania Discord: https://discord.gg/MjxfZ5n

CSA Major General

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Drax View Post
    Quaker probably means :

1. 'Pubbies' aren't getting input from regiments since those are on teamspeak/discord giving orders instead of ingame.
    2. Regiments are trying to organise their group as a priority, which makes sense.
    3. Not all regiments & pubbie groups are working together, so on the field you will have smaller groups instead of one/two fronts.

Possible solutions :
    1. Let NCO's repeat orders ingame (But on same maps, when closing into enemy lines … you would want to be quiet ))
    1. Use the chat function to coordinate or give vital info (don't spam)
    2. Have some men (in regiment) approach players and explain the current state and some game mechanics. (these can be recruiters)
    3. Only thing I can say is, check what others are doing (bigger regs can even post a member in other groups) … try and work together.

Now I'm sure everybody would like a brilliant officer/flag bearer/Nco doing their job, however things aren't always that simple and like 'Quaker' implied it can ruin fun or be tiresome.

Maybe :
    - Adding more regiments per map (or possibility to select one if number grows) could be nice.
    - Spawning in on the correct regiment with an officer/flag bearer in front will make lining up faster. (agree with O'Rourke)
    - On some maps rushing the point into an 'organizing' enemy might prove fruitful (PLM likes a preparation fase)
    - Colored Q-lines & names (above head when pressing T) would be more visual.

In some other games you can have squads (you can form one/join or leave one), so whenever :
    - You don't like your squad leader and/or members : you can leave
    - You don't have to join a squad and probably no one will bother you
    - You could sometimes vote on a commander
    - You can sometimes promote a squad member to leader
    But these are different games and this would probably prove technical difficult or change up the game.
    I write for my personal account and from personal experience, unless stated otherwise.

While I am for adding additional tools to the game, several minutes of nothing to do at the start of each game is a bad idea. A short time while reloading, maybe.

A bit of unobtrusive help might help, such as:
    separate spawn positions for regiments, with the officer slot at the front)
    separate file spawn positions, with NCOs at the front. Number of NCOs based on previous map population but not more than 10 people per NCO.
    choice of preferred NCO within time allotted, otherwise auto assigned to least populated squad
    your NCO's voice would be heard a bit stronger and over longer distances.
    your NCO would have a rank sign near his name so you can find him reasonably easy
    a "where the hell is my squad" button, highlighting your squad and players in your squad.
    option to vote out a NCO

There is no simple wonder solution to this compound problem, so stop hoping separating just the regimental spawns would help. Many small changes are needed to nudge the players into playing the right way.

What I would personally like is this:
    - replace the class selection screen with an election screen
    - on one side of that screen is the list of available players, each with markers for the positions they've held in the last 5 matches
    - the other side is for vertical organization by regiment (commanding officer), NCOs (number determined by available players, maximal squad limits), and soldier slots to be filled in.
    - filling in is done by voting the commander you want to follow and the desired NCO (or just the squad if you're not interested or don't know people already). Most players are likely to vote a commander that held that position in at least some of the previous matches, and the NCO they prefer for various reasons.
    - to be confirmed as NCO you need to have 10 followers to be sergeant, unless there are no more free players, and then you get a diminished squad.
    - at this stage, you get to move from regiment to regiment and from squad to squad as you prefer, until the timer ends. This whole thing would probably take 20 seconds or so
    -once you've voted, you can opt to wait and see how the roster fills up or deploy
    - you get deployed at predetermined positions, by regiments, in the NCO's file you've voted for, or a bit behind if you've opted not to vote or are not interested in such nonsense.
    - once per match you get 1 vote to either change squad/regiment or remove somebody (be he the commander, your NCO or one of the players in your file). The removal vote must get 50% of votes in that section to come into effect (in a NCO file of 10 people, 6 must vote someone out, in a company of 100 people, 51 must vote the commander out)

Programming wise, this is pretty simple to do.
    So, why not?
    Last edited by EneCtin; 04-30-2019 at 07:15 AM.