View Poll Results: A good addition to WOR?

Voters
93. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

61 65.59%
  • No

26 27.96%
  • I have my own ideas on the subject

6 6.45%
Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Segmented Reloading

Quote Originally Posted by R21 View Post

And @ 'QTE/Button Bashing' the system would be 3 taps of R over the entire 14 second? Reload process, if you can't manage that then you've got some serious hand eye co-ordination issues
    It's not that they are hard, people hate QTE's. There's a stereotype about QTE's making a game shitty or look worse for a reason, they look like lazy or poorly done attempts to try and 'immerse' you or keep you involved in the game. Plus, you think the reloading animations now are boring and frustrating? Having to do QTE's over and over and over and over and over again, possibly messing up multiple times will drive you up the wall. And the reloading is 20 seconds, not 14. And some people will take the time during the reloading animation to do some other things like reply to a steam chat, search something, communicate in game (I personally do this A LOT), etc.
    Last edited by McMuffin; 10-12-2017 at 01:06 AM.

I've never heard of the term QTE but the more I hear you guys bitch about them the more I'm convinced we need it.
    Gameplay Suggestions: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JjUuaVXTJsY

Old Pennsylvania Discord: https://discord.gg/MjxfZ5n

USA Lieutenant Colonel

QTE = Quick time event, which what i'm proposing really isn't.

It's like saying having to press RMB to bring up your sights then pressing LMB while aiming to fire is a QTE because you're chaining these actions together.

CSA Captain

Wile segmented reloading is very great idea, there is no need for HUD pictures and definitely NO to any QTE.

@Poorlaggedman - I am surprised, that you have no experience with it, but believe me - it is not good gameplay mechanic, very far from realism and it used to be implemented in poor mainstream arcadish games; it is now being abandoned even by the mainstream crap.

CSA Major

Quote Originally Posted by Poorlaggedman View Post
    I've never heard of the term QTE but the more I hear you guys bitch about them the more I'm convinced we need it.

Quick time events are terrible and are about as engaging as the current situation.

CSA Lieutenant General

This type of suggestion has been thrown out to the forums, its seems, every few months since AT LEAST mid 2015. I don't think anyone that supports a segmented reload process is actually calling for a QTE. I for one also brought this up in discussion at some point since I joined the forums in Apr 2016. What I was more or less thinking is that you could break the reload process into just a series of "r" presses that coincide perhaps with the steps of a reload as they exist in a drill manual. What are they, something like 9 steps or so (or a limited set of "r" presses that combine some of the actions as shown below)?

The basis would be that you could possibly begin a retreat in the middle of a reload, without abandoning the whole reload and without having to start completely over once you've reached a location where you want to continue your reload.

So the commands are what (from Gilhams):

1. Load
    2. Handle cartridge
    3. Tear cartridge
    4. Charge cartridge
    5. Draw rammer
    6. Ram cartridge
    7. Return rammer
    8. Cast about
    9. Prime
    10. Shoulder arms

So a segmented reload could be something like this with "r" presses:

1. Handle, tear, and charge cartridge
    2. Draw Rammer, Ram cartridge, return rammer
    3. Cast about, prime, shoulder arms

This would make the loading process a 3 "r" press series. But not linked in a QTE event. If you get past the first "r" press and decide to retreat 50 yards, then your 2nd "r" press would take care of the ramming (but perhaps only if it happens within 30 seconds of the 1st "r" press). It could be assumed that if your 2nd "r" press occurred outside a 30 second limit, that the cartridge that was charged from the first "r" press never got rammed, and thus became dislodged from the muzzle prior to ramming (maybe while you ran 50 yards to safety?). So your next "r" press will initiate another step 1 (handle, tear, charge cartridge). 2nd press, draw, ram, return rammer, and 3rd press cast about, prime, and shoulder arms. Rince and repeat.

Perhaps they can come up with scenarios where a soldier might ram multiple balls into the muzzle? Perhaps instead of multiple "r" presses, the steps coincide with presses of 1,2,3? That way the numbers match the step you've already performed. With random chances of failure that could revolve around the fact that you already succeeded in step 1, but then retreated and thus you continue with step 2, but are unaware that your ball dislodged and fell out during your retreat, which means if you continue through step 3 and fire, that you're likely to have a proper fire of the weapon but with no lead propelled down range?

Is that more robust than a QTE or just more annoying?

Honesty, if I were a game developer, I wouldn't be looking to build in time gaps for my players to reply to other steam chats and address other out-of-game activities. I've never heard someone complain about a game because "it doesn't allow me time to multitask!" LOL
    Last edited by dmurray6; 10-12-2017 at 05:06 PM.
    Civil War Ancestors:

Considering civil war combat was based in every way off communication, it's a very good point to let players multitas while reloading.
    http://i.imgur.com/STUHVb8.png

CSA Lieutenant General

Quote Originally Posted by David Dire View Post
    Considering civil war combat was based in every way off communication, it's a very good point to let players multitas while reloading.
    Besides the fact that this is off the topic of segmented reloading.....

I can't seem to wrap my head around ALL the examples you provided. Considering the noise, the smoke, and the fact that both hands were on the rifle, considering the ability to see and hear are already in-game, I'm finding it difficult to recognize ALL the time the soldiers had to multitask. Please, inform me.

I'm guessing by your response, you're not a fan of making the reload anything beyond a single press of "r".
    Last edited by dmurray6; 10-12-2017 at 09:20 PM.
    Civil War Ancestors:

USA 1st Lieutenant

I am not at all in favor of segmented reloading. I would prefer to press the button once to make my gun reload, not three times. Less fuss, less mess.

Best,
    Dman979

USA Lieutenant Colonel

Quote Originally Posted by dmurray6 View Post
    This type of suggestion has been thrown out to the forums, its seems, every few months since AT LEAST mid 2015. I don't think anyone that supports a segmented reload process is actually calling for a QTE. I for one also brought this up in discussion at some point since I joined the forums in Apr 2016. What I was more or less thinking is that you could break the reload process into just a series of "r" presses that coincide perhaps with the steps of a reload as they exist in a drill manual. What are they, something like 9 steps or so (or a limited set of "r" presses that combine some of the actions as shown below)?

The basis would be that you could possibly begin a retreat in the middle of a reload, without abandoning the whole reload and without having to start completely over once you've reached a location where you want to continue your reload.
    Exactly the type of scenario i'm envisioning for it's use, like Players being over run and forced to Retreat and being able to finish off their partial Reloads at their new position.

I see it as a Boon TBH and a Morale Booster. A player having the knowledge his Gun is partially loaded will probably try better to preserve their in-Game life and Retreat to a new position rather than just blindly Melee like they do now. It seems like a small thing but I genuinely think it'd add to the Game and not detract.

If people are that on the fence about it, it could even be made a server-side option (like you have Manual Bolting in RO2). I'm willing to bet that was argued to Death on their forums, but having the two side by side gives the best of both options.

Also, Multi-tasking/Communication? You'll still be able to use your Mic and talk whilst doing it?