I have tried the current implementation of morale yesterday and hereby some comments/ideas:

If I get it right, the individual morale effects are multiplied by the state of "whole unit morale" (i.e. the amount of remaining "tickets"). When the side is at "Getting casualties" or even at "Breaking" status, the ingame effects occur quickly and the recovery is slow. What I have experienced at "Breaking" status (tickets almost depleted) was actually very good - I was stabbed by bayonet (and I stabbed back in the same time) and the screen completely black-out. I thought I was killed, but the visuals slowly started to get normal (less and less blurry), so I managed to survive, but with some kind of "morale" punishment. Even after a while, the gun sway was increased and I believe the stamina was low as well. Even as-is works fine, but I would suggest to add some sound effects as well (deafness, while hearing own heartbeat for example). Also, I hope we will see autosurrender while suffering low-morale AND close to superior numbers of enemy soldiers.

What is more important - the effect of being close to friendly soldiers or flag has quite insignificant effect (if any). The severe morale punishments described should be applied to lone-wolfs even at "engaged" status, while being close to friendly soldiers and especially flag bearer should increase the individual morale recovery faster even at "breaking" status.

Anyway, the morale system is on the right track. So, devs, please, keep on

Btw. the two-stab melee is huge improvement!