Page 2 of 24 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Your ancestors

CSA Lieutenant Colonel

Yeah Zimm, my great great grandmother went to Texas from Tennessee in the late 1800s in a covered wagon, and when she finally decided to move back in the mid 1900s, she came back in an airplane! Isn't that a kick! That goes to show you how much we have progressed in such a short amount of time.

My great grandfather was career army and also fought in Vietnam. He originally went there in 64' or 65' I believe and acted as a military advisor and eventually ended up fighting with the Montagnard natives in the Vietnam central highlands. He had a few stories about those guys XD. For Starters, a lot of them used bows, and had incredible tracking abilities. He used to say they could smell Vietcong ambushes 200 yards in front of them. I'm not quite sure about that, but thats the way he always told it!

Welcome to the forum by the way.
    Last edited by Rithal; 07-02-2015 at 05:27 AM.
    "The patriot volunteer, fighting for country and his rights, makes the most reliable soldier on Earth." - Lieutenant General Thomas "Stonewall" Jackson

"It is well that war is so terrible. Otherwise we should grow too fond of it." - General Robert E. Lee

"I would rather die a thousand deaths than betray a friend." - Confederate Scout, Sam Davis

Brigadier General James J. Archer
    Archer's Brigade
    A.P. Hill's Light Division
    Army of Northern Virginia

Banned
    My grandfather also fought in Vietnam. He was an engineer aboard the USS Missouri.

My great great grandpa from my dads side is from Slovakia (back in the day Austria-Hungary so it was a same country) and my great grandpa from dads side was a bartender in Austrian hotel before WW1. My grandma from dad's side is from Austria and grandpa from dad's side is Slovenian.

My mothers side is Slovenian/Austro-Hungarian (Country I'm from) as far as I know. My great grandpa from mothers side fought for Austria-Hungary during WW1 and fell asleep and missed the battle. Later he found out from about 40 people only 2 survived. Grandma/Grandpa from mothers side are both Slovenian.

Non of them served in WW2 as far as I know (too young/too old)
    My dad was in army during Civil War where Slovenia wanted their independence and other Yugoslav nations attacked us in 1991.

Well thats my background pretty much
    http://i.imgur.com/WTPcvcZ.png

CSA Lieutenant Colonel

Quote Originally Posted by Simon445 View Post
    My great great grandpa from my dads side is from Slovakia (back in the day Austria-Hungary so it was a same country) and my great grandpa from dads side was a bartender in Austrian hotel before WW1. My grandma from dad's side is from Austria and grandpa from dad's side is Slovenian.

My mothers side is Slovenian/Austro-Hungarian (Country I'm from) as far as I know. My great grandpa from mothers side fought for Austria-Hungary during WW1 and fell asleep and missed the battle. Later he found out from about 40 people only 2 survived. Grandma/Grandpa from mothers side are both Slovenian.

Non of them served in WW2 as far as I know (too young/too old)
    My dad was in army during Civil War where Slovenia wanted their independence and other Yugoslav nations attacked us in 1991.

Well thats my background pretty much
    Thats really interesting that your dad fought in the Yugoslavian wars. One of my classes last year discussed them extensively. Some nasty things happened like ethnic cleansing and such... Well, I hope ya'll are faring much better now. The 90s were are dark time in the Balkans.
    "The patriot volunteer, fighting for country and his rights, makes the most reliable soldier on Earth." - Lieutenant General Thomas "Stonewall" Jackson

"It is well that war is so terrible. Otherwise we should grow too fond of it." - General Robert E. Lee

"I would rather die a thousand deaths than betray a friend." - Confederate Scout, Sam Davis

Archer's Brigade

Quote Originally Posted by SgtRithal View Post
    Thats really interesting that your dad fought in the Yugoslavian wars. One of my classes last year discussed them extensively. Some nasty things happened like ethnic cleansing and such... Well, I hope ya'll are faring much better now. The 90s were are dark time in the Balkans.
    Slovenia is not Balkan, its classified as Central Europe. But yea, some nasty s*it happened in Bosnia and Serbia in late 90s.

And my dad was only fighting in 10 Day War (Slovenian Independence) and not in rest wars that followed in Balkan.

CSA Lieutenant Colonel

Slovenia is not Balkan, its classified as Central Europe. But yea, some nasty s*it happened in Bosnia and Serbia in late 90s.

And my dad was only fighting in 10 Day War (Slovenian Independence) and not in rest wars that followed in Balkan.

Yeah, I have a habit of throwing all of the ex-Yugoslavian countries in with the Balkans. :P

Archer's Brigade

Quote Originally Posted by SgtRithal View Post
    Yeah, I have a habit of throwing all of the ex-Yugoslavian countries in with the Balkans. :P
    Thats because ex-Yugoslav countries are Balkan, only Slovenia isn't :P

STOP IT!!!!!!!!!! I'm getting dizzy.

zimm out

CSA Lieutenant Colonel

Slovenia isn't Balkan, or Slovenia isn't Yugoslavian? XD

Archer's Brigade

CSA Major

My ancestors come from all over. the European side of my family came from France, Germany, and maybe Spain ( does anyone know if Guidroz is Spanish?) anyways most of my family came from France, to my knowledge they went to Canada and were exiled by the British, after being exiled they went and settled in Louisiana (home of the Cajuns) after that they must have hooked up with some native girls because i'm part Houma Indian on my dads side, im also indian on my moms side but there from some tribe in Texas. My great mawmaw came down on the orphan train from new york. My great Pawpaw fought in WW1 and was wounded. Both of my PawPaw fought in WW2 one was in the Navy the other was in the Army. A good bit of my family fought in Vietnam my Dads cousin tiger was killed by a sniper, two of my uncles fought there as well one was in the Navy patrolling the rivers on a PBR and the other was in the USMC. my dad was going to join but my uncle told him not to. after that my family pretty much just stopped serving in the military though i plan to join the USMC once i'm out of college. i dont really know of any earlier military history of my family before ww1 but my aunt did tell me that i'm distantly related to Robert E. Lee (thats what she says anyway) and we are also related to one of the Hatfield and Mccoy families but i dont know if it's the Hatfield or the Mccoys. Thats pretty much all i know of my family history. ill update it if i find anything else out.

(also i know my grammar and spelling is bad i was never good at writing)