Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cedar Creek Incident

CSA Major

Cedar Creek Incident

Figured I'd share what information I have about the bomb scare at the Cedar Creek reenactment this past weekend. I was there with the 24th North Carolina and around 4:00 pm Saturday after the battle, there was a "suspicious devise" found in one of the sutler tents. The police closed down the area and determined that it was in fact a pipe bomb. At first we were just instructed to lock down our camps, no cars or civilians were allowed in. First time I've stood a "legit" picket duty... Eventually, seeing as how the Confederate camp was right next to the sutlers, we were all evacuated to the Confederate parking lot.

They eventually bused the Confederates over the the local elementary school while the police investigated the pipe bomb and searched the camps. In the end, two devices were found; one was a soda bottle/can filled with nails, and the other was a pipe bomb with ball bearings. For whatever reason, when the police detonated the pipe bomb, it did not explode. Whether it was faulty wiring or some other reason, I do not know. Not sure what happened with the soda can either but everyone was cleared to reenter camp later Saturday night.

The ATF and FBI were there till Sunday afternoon and initially, everyone was informed that the event was cancelled. Eventually, at the insistence of all the reenactors, the event staff decided to still have the final battle even though the event was closed to the public. It was a battle, not against the Blue and the Gray, but against the cowards that wanted to try and stop us. The "battle" ended with both sides embracing one another, singing Dixie and the Star Spangled Banner, and finally a "USA USA!" chant.

I was proud to be a part of this event. Thank God no one was hurt during this ordeal but in the end, we showed that we will not be intimidated by cowards who want to try and erase our history. The cowards that placed these devices placed them in an area with a lot of foot traffic, a child actually found the soda can bomb... I'm not sure if there have been any arrests yet, but I'll be keeping my ears open to hear of any more information.

One final note, while I know that not all of us here are reenactors, I would like to think that we all appreciate this period of history, no matter where you are from. As always I applaud the developers for taking on such a project and for keeping it historically accurate to the best of their abilities. Now more than ever, it is important that we remember the past so we can teach it, and so that mistakes made then, are not made again.

~Sully

USA General of the Army

In Maryland State Near to both Antietam and Gettysburg, Harper's Ferry et al.
    Hmm.

Thanks for this bit of info. Sorry I didn't hear anything about the said incident.
    Just makes one wonder what's wrong with people now days.

Glad all are safe, and that things were brought under control before anything serious happened.

CSA Major

Here's the news that interviewed me after the battle - http://www.localdvm.com/news/virgini...ield/835769400

CSA 2nd Lieutenant

yah i had some friends up there its crazy

Glad no one got hurt. :O

That is crazy. You don't overcome past issues by trying to forget they were ever a thing (in this case taken to the extreme by wanting to hurt those who do remember).

- Trusty

CSA Captain

I'm glad no one got hurt and that the bombs were duds or fake.

You can't forget history and expect to overcome its hardships and difficulties that way. Especially not by drawing extra attention to it like this. All they're doing is reawakening feelings of distrust and division, among other sentiments. To target living history institutions means they want to subdue history with oppression and revision and not education. This instantly makes them the villains in this story. But there will always be those who want history to be forgotten or revised and will be willing to use oppression to do so. I believe "cultural Marxism" is the popular term for it nowadays.

I fear though that recent events surrounding the ACW history has polarized groups in the US beyond using reason. All these people are interested in now is shouting their opinion the loudest and shutting the other side up. That to me, being a "sober European", means the end of freedom, democracy and intellectual discourse. Without synthesis in reasonable discourse you only have a shouting contest with no winners. Only this cultural Marxism remains.

In their twisted fantasies terrorists always envision planting their explosives as to kill those they hate. They think the explosion will kill only those they wanted to kill. But the reality of non-linear warfare is always different and collateral damage is highest using these means. The aforementioned child picking up the soda bottle, etcetera, being my point in case. This makes them especially vile in their intentions as they take the huge risk of also harming those who aren't their targets for granted.

USA General of the Army

Shameful ...
    You don't build strength of muscle by lifting light loads nor strength of character by hiding our faults.
    It is through adversity and past experience that we shrug off capricious boyhood and become men of Honor.
    My Great Great Grandfather, Isaac MacDonal Cooley, served as a Pathfinder Cavalry Scout
    in the 1st Arkansas Cavalry Regiment (Dobbin's) Company K
    My Avatar flies his Unit Guidon to Honor his Service.
    My Credo is a simple one ... Unit before Self with Honor above ALL else.

A sickening act, whether politics are involved or not. I hope those who did this and any who want to do this are locked up.
    http://i.imgur.com/STUHVb8.png

CSA Major

Quote Originally Posted by John Cooley View Post
    Shameful ...
    You don't build strength of muscle by lifting light loads nor strength of character by hiding our faults.
    It is through adversity and past experience that we shrug off capricious boyhood and become men of Honor.
    Absolutely, the atmosphere at the event on Sunday was definitely one of defiance towards those who wished to scare us away.

CSA Brigadier General

We had a similar bomb scare at Huntington Beach this year. Someone walked into the Confederate camp with a backpack and didn't have it on when they left. Thankfully nothing came of it.

mfw have to actually pay attention on guard duty now instead of getting drunk and telling gross stories to buddies.

Joshua guard duty huntington beach.jpg
    Hit that Subscribe Button

https://www.youtube.com/user/360Nomad