Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: how about range content

USA Captain

Smile how about range content

in range map,,,we only see 3 rows target.
    my advice is
    1.add a row of empty bottles on a wooden platloon to test shooting
    2.add a wooden sign that shows the range of the shot,,,such as 100yards,500yards,300yards,etc.

USA Major

I don't think the range uses the same physics as the skirmish battles so they aren't much use yet.
    Hopefully when they do get it working they will set the targets at useful distances like 100, 200, 300, ... yards.
    Maybe a separate target set for pistols at 25 and 50.
    Lightfoot

CSA Lieutenant General

Quote Originally Posted by Lightfoot View Post
    I don't think the range uses the same physics as the skirmish battles so they aren't much use yet.
    Hopefully when they do get it working they will set the targets at useful distances like 100, 200, 300, ... yards.
    Correct. This was addressed in the following thread where ballistics were being tested while targeting the back of the tents in drill camp, b/c the range used what Hitsme Indaface referred to as a "ray casting" system which seemed to operate from a line-of-sight. You can find Hitsme's post on page 2, that discusses the lack of bullet drop, etc. The rest were where myself and William Randolph were posting shot groupings for various weapons.

Previous Thread
    Civil War Ancestors:

CSA Captain

So whats the current best way to practise shooting? Because I can't hit the broadside of a barn atm unless the enemy puts their mouth around the barrel of my gun

CSA Lieutenant General

Quote Originally Posted by Mukai View Post
    So whats the current best way to practise shooting? Because I can't hit the broadside of a barn atm unless the enemy puts their mouth around the barrel of my gun
    Entice them closer to your muzzle with candy? LOL
    Civil War Ancestors:

CSA Captain

I've already tried replacing my bayonet with a candy cane but those Yankees are smarter than they look :P

My problem is I guess I've no feedback as to where my rounds are going, I'm shooting, and I think they are hitting in the general vicinity but i could be very wrong

I feel the same, but honestly I like that personally. It's quite realistic.

And try chocolate next time. Or cigars for the needy officer.
    http://i.imgur.com/STUHVb8.png

USA Captain

Quote Originally Posted by Lightfoot View Post
    Bummer... but thanks for clarifying this. Hope at some point we can practice to help us handle the skirmishes.

CSA Lieutenant General

Quote Originally Posted by javelina View Post
    Bummer... but thanks for clarifying this. Hope at some point we can practice to help us handle the skirmishes.
    Check out the "previous thread" link that I posted a few comments back, there you will see how we used the back side of the tents to shoot and mark shot groupings from various weapons. It only takes two people to do this. The shooter paces off their approximate yardage from the tent out into the field, and a spotter stands near the tent to see where the shot hits. We've also used a small white building on the right side of the Burnside Bridge skirmish map, if you spawn in as Union, jump the fence and make a direct line to the bridge, there is a house and yard with a small white building outside. The bullet marks show up nice on the building and tents.
    Civil War Ancestors:

USA General of the Army

In Maryland State Near to both Antietam and Gettysburg, Harper's Ferry et al.
    While I understand and see a need for this, I don't see it as a priority currently, as there are many other things that I feel require the developers attention.