Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: how about range content

CSA Captain

So can a dev confirm the game uses Raycast at the moment?

If the bullet physics is handled by Raycast then your musket basically projects a perfectly straight line from the center of your screen and registers a "hit" on any collision object, e.g. anything solid including players. In player terms this is often referred to as "hit scan". There is no bullet drop since this line is perfectly straight or bullet speed as the Raycast happens as fast as the clientside computes it (e.g. milliseconds).

It's normal to use this method for prototyping however and will in the future likely be replaced by a more advanced method where projectiles are spawned and moved at the proper speed. They'd also be affected by gravity. In fact most small map shooters like all Call of Duties only use Raycasting because it is very light on the CPU.

CSA Major

Quote Originally Posted by JohnDewitt View Post

If the bullet physics is handled by Raycast then your musket basically projects a perfectly straight line from the center of your screen and registers a "hit" on any collision object, e.g. anything solid including players. In player terms this is often referred to as "hit scan". There is no bullet drop since this line is perfectly straight or bullet speed as the Raycast happens as fast as the clientside computes it (e.g. milliseconds).

It's normal to use this method for prototyping however and will in the future likely be replaced by a more advanced method where projectiles are spawned and moved at the proper speed. They'd also be affected by gravity. In fact most small map shooters like all Call of Duties only use Raycasting because it is very light on the CPU.
    Only on the drillcamp servers as far as I recall.

Quote Originally Posted by JohnDewitt View Post

This is only how the UI displaying your hit on the target ranges on the drill camps is calculated.

Anywhere else (and on the target range in fact, just not used in the hit calculation in the UI) we use spawned projectiles with proper velocity and drop - you can see the balls pass you when being shot at.

- Trusty

I tried an experiment a couple months ago firing rifled muskets on the drill map. Each of us stood at a tree and took turns firing at the tree while the other stared at that tree looking for the hit. Very, very rarely did either of us hit any part of the biggest trees we found. About 1/10 shots at ~125 yards hit. We tried a variety of aiming points. Sometimes we didn't even see or hear the projectile going zipping anywhere Other times I've seen bullets travelling, seeming to lag up a little or fly directly sideways. I'm perplexed, to say the least, with the ballistics in WoR. I haven't even gotten to testing about my biggest concern, which are fences. Fences seem to catch about 90% of bullets somehow.
    Gameplay Suggestions: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JjUuaVXTJsY

Old Pennsylvania Discord: https://discord.gg/MjxfZ5n