View Poll Results: Ai Artillery in game: Is it too much and too frequent?

Voters
27. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, please reduce

18 66.67%
  • About right

8 29.63%
  • No, not enough

1 3.70%

Thread: Current Artillery in Game - player view & poll!

CSA Captain

Current Artillery in Game - player view & poll!

Firstly this is meant as a constructive criticism of the current ambient/immersion effect of Ai Artillery within the game....

I have long had a view on the stepping up of the artillery in both frequency and effectiveness since the early part of this year. When I played back then, artillery was a distant crump adding immersion and the hint of a wider battle. Since the move to make the artillery more present on the battlefield its become in my mind a nuisance, assailing the ears constantly and at worse an annoyance with spawn hits and periods of black screen game play (too often to be enjoyed).

I know its been mentioned that the Arty doesn't follow play but it has an uncanny act of finding players, lines and groups on a regular basis, with the effect of disrupting lines and cohesion. Yesterday I was 'non targeted' again for the umpteenth time and was left wandering the field with severe concussion effect into the hands of the enemy.

I implore you to tone down the frequency, noise and intensity at the very least of the Arty ingame until player controlled arty is in.
    Last edited by Charles Caldwell; 10-22-2017 at 12:08 PM.
    4th Texas 'C' Company

CSA Major General

I agree arty greatly helps immersion, we also had our spawn picked clean by cannonballs in the middle of organising the troops.
    So it might be a good idea for arty not to target spawn areas or certain choke points.

I also like to add how the feel of getting an arty barrage is nicely implemented in the game, the noise, the dizzyness ..

CSA Captain

The effect is excellent, dont get me wrong but the frequency of the barrages is in my mind too much...... its, as I've said before in other posts, it feels more like the Somme!
    4th Texas 'C' Company

Quote Originally Posted by Charles Caldwell View Post
    Firstly this is meant as a constructive criticism of the current ambient/immersion effect of Ai Artillery within the game....

I have long had a view on the stepping up of the artillery in both frequency and effectiveness since the early part of this year. When I played back then, artillery was a distant crump adding immersion and the hint of a wider battle. Since the move to make the artillery more present on the battlefield its not become in my mind a nuisance, assailing the ears constantly and at worse an annoyance with spawn hits and periods of black screen game play (too often to be enjoyed).

I know its been mentioned that the Arty doesn't follow play but it has an uncanny act of finding players, lines and groups on a regular basis, with the effect of disrupting lines and cohesion. Yesterday I was 'non targeted' again for the umpteenth time and was left wandering the field with severe concussion effect into the hands of the enemy.

I implore you to tone down the frequency, noise and intensity at the very least of the Arty ingame until player controlled arty is in.
    Thank you for the feedback!

I do agree that looking at the frequency and barage amounts again is a good idea. The effectiveness of the individual shells will most likely not be toned down (before we upped their danger radius little attention was given to them at all, even if they fell right ontop of you).

And yes, it is 100% random where it hits at the moment.

- Trusty

CSA Colonel

A slight softening of the frequency of artillery raining it's death showers upon the troops ( especially those in the spawning areas ) sounds more than reasonable.

I don't like the visual affect on the player. Nowhere except in movies are there accounts of those type of wild black-and-white distortions. It's a video-game/CoD effect to make a good trailer to sell a product. At the very least, any sort of suppression has to be varied effects and not the same effect every time on every player. You should be able to take a close hit and still see straight on occasion. At the very least it should be something that takes more cumulative firepower and less recovery to wreck your perspective that much.
    Last edited by Poorlaggedman; 10-22-2017 at 11:46 PM.
    Gameplay Suggestions: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JjUuaVXTJsY

Old Pennsylvania Discord: https://discord.gg/MjxfZ5n

Quote Originally Posted by Poorlaggedman View Post
    I don't like the visual affect on the player. Nowhere except in movies are there accounts of those type of wild black-and-white distortions. It's a video-game/CoD effect to make a good trailer to sell a product. At the very least, any sort of suppression has to be varied effects and not the same effect every time on every player. You should be able to take a close hit and still see straight on occasion.
    Actually, the pressure of a shell exploding, assuming it doesn't harm your exterior, is enough to give you a day-ruining headache. General Hooker had to give up his command of the army at Chancellorsville for this specific reason. Can you suggest a better way to interpret this?
    http://i.imgur.com/STUHVb8.png

USA General of the Army

In Maryland State Near to both Antietam and Gettysburg, Harper's Ferry et al.
    Not only a headache, Hooker was unconscious for 30 minutes on the porch floor.

Shockwave from bursting shell, or case was a very real thing.

CSA Lieutenant General

Quote Originally Posted by A. P. Hill View Post
    Not only a headache, Hooker was unconscious for 30 minutes on the porch floor.

Shockwave from bursting shell, or case was a very real thing.
    If I'm not mistaken, what you guys are describing is the concussion. I would certainly hope that there are documented descriptions from someone who has experienced artillery concussion (from the receiving end), be it from the Civil War or more recent conflicts. I'm sure those that know far more about artillery than myself would qualify to make the comparison that "the concussion from Civil War shell <insert type here> is similar to the concussion effects of Vietnam War era U.S. Army shell of <insert type here>", if you know what I mean.

I would guess that CFG's is trying their darnedest to make those effects as realistic as feasibly possible. I'll have to take their research and final implementation b/c I know nothing of the topic. While in Afghanistan I never experienced a shelling, I had the uncanny ability to be a few days ahead of each of the shelling's that happened to hit places I had been. (I know this b/c the folks I worked with would call us and let us know that everyone was accounted for).
    Civil War Ancestors:

Well... an affect is an affect but it could be modeled differently. It doesn't have to only be your viewpoint rocking side to side and loss of color. I refer back to this and the book "On Killing"

rnl2.jpg

Motor skills deterioration. Visual distortions, loss of depth perception (a very potent penalty), tunnel vision. Shaking. Auditory exclusion can refer to different things. A great example in the book was some police officers who could not hear their own weapons firing and thought they were malfunctioning while the firearms of others discharging sounded normal. They should be woven in and presented to the player in a less predictable pattern to where it will logically affect the player's decision-making on whether to continue on or pause or withdraw. You know what, I just can't stop shaking I need to go off yonder and recover

It's hard to quantify the effects into cookie-cutter regimens. Roscoe Blunt jumping out of his foxhole and screaming obscenities and running around in circles was how he cracked under a close mortar hit early in his book. He didn't remember any of it. You don't want players to do that but there's a lot more subtle and workable stuff you can do other than a simple turn off / turn on heavy suppression with dizziness and loss of color

I don't know how realistic hearing your own heartbeat is but since you can't *feel* it from a player perspective having it raise is a clear sign you are reaching another level of panic.
    Gameplay Suggestions: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JjUuaVXTJsY

Old Pennsylvania Discord: https://discord.gg/MjxfZ5n