Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Stonewall Jackson's second Corps (NA/EU)

USA General of the Army

Stonewall Jackson's Second Corps (NA/EU)

Jackson 3.jpg
    Stonewall Jackson's Second Corps

Jackson’s Second Corps is intended to provide an Administrative Framework
    to coordinate and foster cooperation between Companies in the game War of Rights.
    The Administrative Leadership works to unite the companies, teach and coordinate
    while allowing company commanders to run their companies as they see fit ...
    we can give overall goals and strategies but company commanders need the support and freedom they deserve to succeed.

Seal_of_the_Confederate_States_of_America.svg.jpg

TABLE OF ORGANIZATION and EQUIPMENT (TO&E)

NOTE:
    The Structure may be altered a bit once Charter Changes 2018 is ratified.
    Will Update soon.

Stonewall Jackson's Second Corps
    Commander: Lt-Gen Cooley
    Sergeant Major: Sgt-Maj Valk

Administrative Headquarters Division
    Commander: Maj-Gen Paioletti
    Adjutant: Col MN_for_Life

1st Infantry Brigade
    Commander: Brig-Gen Trump
    Adjutant: Col Madden

2nd Infantry Brigade
    Commander: Brig-Gen Fubar
    Adjutant: Col Chickymauga

Corps Cavalry Regiment
    Commander: Col TBD
    Adjutant: Lt-Col TBD

Corps Artillery Regiment
    Commander: Col TBD
    Adjutant: Lt-Col TBD

6th LA Co A
    6th LA Co B
    6th LA Co C
    6th LA Co D
    11th MS Co F
    1st GA C A
    1st GA Co B
    1st GA Co C
    3rd AR Co H
    15th AL Co H
    Cobbs Co C
    1st NC Battery C

CSA.jpg

II CORPS
    The troops comprising the Second Corps originate known as the Second Corps of the Army of the Potomac, under the command of Major General Gustavus W. Smith. This unit was also known as the Second Division and was eventually subsumed into general Robert E. Lee's Army of Northern Virginia as a reserve in Maj. Gen. D. H. Hill's Division. When Lee was able to reorganize his army after finishing battles with Union Maj. Gen. George B. McClellan on the peninsula, he created this corps under the command of Lieutenant General Jackson, along with a sister corps under Lt. Gen. James Longstreet. Lee's reorganization was based on his evaluation of the performance of his division commanders during the Seven Days Campaign.

LT-GEN THOMAS JONATHAN "STONEWALL" JACKSON:
    (January 21, 1824 – May 10, 1863)
    Jackson was born in what was then part of Virginia. He received an appointment to the United States Military Academy at West Point. He served in the U.S. Army during the Mexican–American War and distinguished himself at Chapultepec. From 1851 to 1863, he taught at the Virginia Military Institute, where he was unpopular with his students. During this time, he married twice. His first wife died, but his second, Mary Anna Morrison, outlived him by many years. When Virginia seceded from the Union in 1861 after the attack on Fort Sumter, Jackson followed it and joined the Confederate Army. He distinguished himself commanding a brigade at the First Battle of Bull Run the following month, providing crucial reinforcements and beating back a fierce Union assault. It was there that Barnard Elliott Bee Jr., allegedly for Jackson's courage and tenacity, compared him to a "stone wall", which became his enduring nickname.

Jackson performed audaciously in 1862's campaigns in the Shenandoah Valley. Despite an initial defeat due largely to faulty intelligence, through swift and careful maneuvers Jackson was able to defeat three separate Union armies and prevent any of them from reinforcing the Army of the Potomac in its campaign against Richmond. Jackson then quickly moved his three divisions to reinforce General Lee's Army of Northern Virginia in its defense of Richmond. His performance in the subsequent Seven Days Battles against George B. McClellan's Army of the Potomac was poor, but did not cost the Confederacy the battles. During the Northern Virginia Campaign that summer, Jackson's troops captured and destroyed an important supply depot for General John Pope's Army of Virginia, and then withstood repeated assaults from Pope's troops at the Second Battle of Bull Run. Jackson's troops played a prominent role in September's Maryland Campaign, capturing the town of Harpers Ferry, an important strategic location, and providing an important defense of the Confederate Army's right flank at Antietam. At Fredericksburg in December, Jackson's corps buckled but ultimately beat back an assault by the Union Army under Major General Ambrose Burnside.

In May 1863, faced with a tremendous threat from the larger Union Army, now commanded by Joseph Hooker, Lee divided his force three ways. On May 2, Jackson took his 30,000 troops and launched a surprise attack against the Union right flank, driving the opposing troops back about two miles. That evening, he was accidentally shot by pickets. The general survived but lost his left arm to amputation; he died of complications from pneumonia eight days later. Military historians consider Jackson to be one of the most gifted tactical commanders in U.S. history.[3] His tactics are studied even today. His death was a severe setback for the Confederacy, affecting not only its military prospects, but also the morale of its army and of its general public. Jackson in death became an icon of Southern heroism and commitment. His daring military exploits, often while at a numerical disadvantage, play a prominent part in Confederate lore.

Last edited by John Cooley; 10-22-2018 at 06:21 PM.
    My Great Great Grandfather, Isaac MacDonal Cooley, served as a Pathfinder Cavalry Scout
    in the 1st Arkansas Cavalry Regiment (Dobbin's) Company K
    My Avatar flies his Unit Guidon to Honor his Service.
    My Credo is a simple one ... Unit before Self with Honor above ALL else.

CSA Captain

I was thinking the same Dether... the only thing I find strange about the OP is that he 'John' is displaying as a USA General of the Army, promoting & forming a CSA Corp!
    4th Texas 'C' Company

USA General of the Army

Yeah, I have asked but they do not intend to give the CSA a General of The Army forum icon.
    Sadly, this means I have to either display my Contribution Level as USA
    OR
    appear to be less committed to the Game, by using the lower level Lieutenant General forum Icon ...
    simply because I am CSA.
    My Great Great Grandfather, Isaac MacDonal Cooley, served as a Pathfinder Cavalry Scout

USA General of the Army

In Maryland State Near to both Antietam and Gettysburg, Harper's Ferry et al.
    Except! , During the Maryland Campaign, which this community is based on, Corps were not legally recognized by the Confederate States political or military systems.

To effect the semblance of the Corps organization however, General Lee instituted what he called "Wings".

Corps in the Confederacy didn’t become a thing until after the Maryland Campaign, and during the move to Fredericksburg.

I recommend a renaming.

Good Luck.

USA General of the Army

True.
    Also ... Gen Lee, at the time, had no Lieutenant Generals. This wasn't done until after the reorganization of the army.
    This occurred after the Peninsular Campaign, as noted in the Historical Information pull-down menu above.
    However ...
    The Community uses the rank for organizational hierarchy purposes, as well as, game contribution levels.

This organizational structure will come in handy when the game progresses beyond the Maryland Campaign and, just as we in the CSA do not plan to Lose the War "Historically" neither do we plan to strictly stick to organizational norms ... "Historically".

USA General of the Army

Quote Originally Posted by Charles Caldwell View Post
    I was thinking the same Dether... the only thing I find strange about the OP is that he 'John' is displaying as a USA General of the Army, promoting & forming a CSA Corp!
    Gee! I would appear to have a similar issue.

Quote Originally Posted by John Cooley View Post
    Yeah, I have asked but they do not intend to give the CSA a General of The Army forum icon.
    OR
    appear to be less committed to the Game, by using the lower level Lieutenant General forum Icon ...
    simply because I am CSA.
    Mr. Cooley is correct the badge he and I wear only displays our contribution level. It has no bearing on our association to, or with the CSA.

Of course the rank that we hold was also out of historical correctness, as the rank wasn't formed until after the Civil War.

CSA Captain

Best of luck, mate
    Just when I thought I was out...they pull me back in!

USA General of the Army

Reasoning is simple ...
    The numbers you quote are accurate and game launch is still way off.
    Even if we do not add more Companies we will fill out to 800 soldiers.
    The Corps framework allows us future room to expand and a framework of Infantry Brigades with attached Cav and Arty ...
    a structure we like.

Naturally, we would love to create a non-historical independent corps but the same trolls who now berate us for forming too large of a unit were the same ones who chastised us for being an independent and non-historical brigade before.
    The Haters will Hate and we will continue to play the game in a manner that brings us camaraderie and fun.

@ LaBelle ...
    Thanks for the well wishes and ours go with you in your future endeavors.

CSA Captain

OR
    simply because I am CSA.
    You'd think for the level of support you offered them, they'd give you the correct badge.... anyway good luck brother!

Quote Originally Posted by A. P. Hill
    Gee! I would appear to have a similar issue.
    Gadzooks, a Yankee conspiracy!

Naturally, we would love to create a non-historical independent corps but the same trolls who now berate us for forming too large of a unit were the same ones who chastised us for being an independent and non-historical brigade before.
    The Haters will Hate and we will continue to play the game in a manner that brings us camaraderie and fun.
    I hear you....shame that, clearly some people have just too much time on their hands to worry about these things. Why I left the USA side and became a turncoat rebel in the first place. Now I'm CSA through and through.
    Last edited by Charles Caldwell; 10-23-2017 at 03:47 PM.
    4th Texas 'C' Company

USA General of the Army

At most, Jackson was acknowledged, as a Division Commander, as was Longstreet. It was just that Lee saw their potential.

I'd recommend kicking this back to division command as it should be.

All CSA division commanders were Major Generals, again Lt. Generals and Corps were non existent historically at this time.

And as we all agree, this is about accurate history.

And now I'm done.