Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread: Springfield 1842

USA General of the Army

The range isn't accurate. It's literally just hitting where you aim like a laser.

USA General of the Army

A few of us trained with aiming on the skirmish servers as well.
    Last edited by Oleander; 11-07-2017 at 10:34 PM.

CSA Captain

Wonderful you can test that weapon some more and see how you feel about it

USA General of the Army

I've used that gun more than any of the others in the game, I don't have an issue with it. I do wish they would tone down the weapon sway a bit.

USA General of the Army

Quote Originally Posted by Oleander View Post
    I've used that gun more than any of the others in the game, I don't have an issue with it. I do wish they would tone down the weapon sway a bit.
    Aye it's a usable weapon! 69thNY on Sunken Lane I have nae had issues with picking off rebs from the ridge line when they're on the fence. It's doable. I am though incline to agree with the sway still be too violent to begun with. I am in the game of a reduced sway when aiming being needed. Not removed but reduced.

USA General of the Army

In Maryland State Near to both Antietam and Gettysburg, Harper's Ferry et al.
    Quote Originally Posted by Goad View Post
    AP Hill, with all that vast knowledge you have, You should have been the very first one to say something about this gun instead of hunting Squirrels in the damn woods like you used to.
    For the record Sir, those squirrels were shot when only the drill camp was available. That being said, I didn't keep track of which weapon I was using at the time of bagging dinner.

Also shortly after those pictures of that evening's dinner were taken, an update made my then pc, incapable of playing the game, skirmish mode has been out for a couple months, while I couldn't even launch the game. I just recently built a new one that can play it. So, not so much time to actually use my vast knowledge to say something about this particular weapon.

But you're doing quite well. Carry on.

CSA Captain

AP, the tests could have been done for this gun at that time. But anyways, I'm very seriously considering ordering a replica ( and a very good one ) of this exact gun tomorrow, with Rifled and Smoothbore Barrels. I dont re-enact but I love guns so it definitely wont hurt my feelings to own one . Then I can perform my very own IRL tests and having serious fun doing it. But I'm gathering more and more real life info on this gun. And the devs and some players will be mightily shocked to its real capability. How did the Squirrels taste... little on the light side?

USA General of the Army

Grant did some of his best work in the west with an army equipped, by and large, with smoothbore muskets. I doubt I'd be that surprised.

I used to carry a pumpkin slinger in the field, ended up selling it several years back. They're heavier and taller than the 3 band rifles reenactors use today. Something else to be conscious of is reproduction ones have a thicker barrel than originals, and I also know that rifle caliber varies quite a bit. A lot of the Enfields I've seen lately are true .58 instead of .577. Never checked my 42's size, but I would definitely make my own ammo if I were going to shoot one.

I don't remember if Davide Pedersoli ever made a version of the 1842, but if you can find one that he made, buy it. Otherwise, anybody selling the Armi Sport version should be fine.

CSA Major General

I don't think anyone should have a problem with the 42 itself, I think the problem comes down to its shorter range for accuracy against the sharps on a particular scenario, other than that the weapon does fine in other scenarios, so I do not believe or at least hope they were not knocking the weapon but its place in the certain scenario. I take it that the devs put it there because that is what the guys used in that part of the battle, if so then fine.

but as the sway... yes I fire a lot with a lot of weapons and have never taken that long to come to target. but as long as everyone is doing it its fine. and before some one throws out the combat situation for sway, forget it. (retired US Marine 22 yrs 8 mo 9 days active) been there.
    All governments, everywhere derived its power by the consent of the people. The government you have is by your own consent. Not by those brave grey dead of one hundred and fifty plus years ago.

CSA Captain

Yea its the Armisport one I was gonna buy. Made by Chiappa, I've seen other guns made by Chiappa and they're pretty damn nice!. I've heard of the Pedersoli made ones. Making my own Ammo could possibly be in the future. Glad I didnt order the Enfield a few months back, the '42 will make me more happier especially with the Smoothbore Barrel. While I shoot Rifles well, I shoot .22s at matches, my true love has always been the Shotgun. BTW, why did you sell yours?