Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789 LastLast

Thread: Springfield 1842

USA Brigadier General

Alrighty, hopped on earlier this week to take a look at some of the main concerns of the game, was on for about 30-40 minutes, so if you don't think it was enough time take my evaluation with a grain of salt.

1. 1842 complaints: from my observation all guns in the game have now started getting accuracies inflicted on them, as I'm sure most if not all the really old players remember guns in drill camp and I believe the first couple weeks of skirmishes were pinpoint accurate, the problem with the 42 is that it doesn't hit anything according to the CSA players, this is a problem as the south has mainly 42's. now the musket itself is just that, a smoothbore musket after looking into it's hit statistics, without proper rifling it was really luck of the draw, up to 50-75 yards with a maximum range of 100-200 yards, so to expect any real accuracy is just mind bottling, then comes the buck and ball, some say it has no extra pellets and others do, and Leifr(I think) gave pictures to show it does, I hopped on the drill camp and fired off three rounds of buck and ball and each time there was extra tuffs of dirt with pellets or such in it, showing it does in fact work. Note: should be used up close as intended.

Sharps: people complain that since the 42 is so inaccurate why should the Union get a Sharps. well, i've not used it yet as I'm not a skirmish or sharpshooting type of person, the Enfield and Springfield 61 are what I like to use. well the dev team strives for a good sense of historical realism, some changes are to be made against that, but these shouldn't be it as the Union units did have these weapons, I'm sure a balancing option is to come out when the next phase of skirmishes kicks off whenever that may be.

Morale system: I put myself on the Confederate team for this one as again the main complaints have been from the CSA for this issue. It seems that they aren't wrong the system in place is heavily favoured for the Union, and I personally couldn't care for the morale system, or it remains I'd like to see some heavy changes to it mainly on what a line is , and how long it takes before you aren't in a line. from what I saw because I and two other guys died the rest of the soldiers with me had died at a higher cost and it didn't quite frankly sit well with me.

in conclusion, the game is very much in alpha and as we should understand a small team can't change everything overnight, these are pressing issues that CG is working hard to fix but you can't make everyone happy.

Units used to test firearms: 69thNY(1842(Drill Camp and Skirmish)) 1stLA(honestly forgot to look at the gun) 1stTX(Springfield 42) each of these regiments to their respective maps and what not.

side note: really enjoyed the Hagerstown map, the scenery was nice

USA General of the Army

Quote Originally Posted by Goad View Post
    BTW, why did you sell yours?
    I was getting out of reenacting because I didn't have the time to invest. I was also moving so it was less to carry around.

CSA Major General

Quote Originally Posted by michaelsmithern View Post
    Alrighty, hopped on earlier this week to take a look at some of the main concerns of the game, was on for about 30-40 minutes, so if you don't think it was enough time take my evaluation with a grain of salt.

1. 1842 complaints: from my observation all guns in the game have now started getting accuracies inflicted on them, as I'm sure most if not all the really old players remember guns in drill camp and I believe the first couple weeks of skirmishes were pinpoint accurate, the problem with the 42 is that it doesn't hit anything according to the CSA players, this is a problem as the south has mainly 42's. now the musket itself is just that, a smoothbore musket after looking into it's hit statistics, without proper rifling it was really luck of the draw, up to 50-75 yards with a maximum range of 100-200 yards, so to expect any real accuracy is just mind bottling, then comes the buck and ball, some say it has no extra pellets and others do, and Leifr(I think) gave pictures to show it does, I hopped on the drill camp and fired off three rounds of buck and ball and each time there was extra tuffs of dirt with pellets or such in it, showing it does in fact work. Note: should be used up close as intended.

Sharps: people complain that since the 42 is so inaccurate why should the Union get a Sharps. well, i've not used it yet as I'm not a skirmish or sharpshooting type of person, the Enfield and Springfield 61 are what I like to use. well the dev team strives for a good sense of historical realism, some changes are to be made against that, but these shouldn't be it as the Union units did have these weapons, I'm sure a balancing option is to come out when the next phase of skirmishes kicks off whenever that may be.

Morale system: I put myself on the Confederate team for this one as again the main complaints have been from the CSA for this issue. It seems that they aren't wrong the system in place is heavily favoured for the Union, and I personally couldn't care for the morale system, or it remains I'd like to see some heavy changes to it mainly on what a line is , and how long it takes before you aren't in a line. from what I saw because I and two other guys died the rest of the soldiers with me had died at a higher cost and it didn't quite frankly sit well with me.

in conclusion, the game is very much in alpha and as we should understand a small team can't change everything overnight, these are pressing issues that CG is working hard to fix but you can't make everyone happy.

Units used to test firearms: 69thNY(1842(Drill Camp and Skirmish)) 1stLA(honestly forgot to look at the gun) 1stTX(Springfield 42) each of these regiments to their respective maps and what not.

side note: really enjoyed the Hagerstown map, the scenery was nice
    this is well done and agreeable testing in short order .. thank you.
    All governments, everywhere derived its power by the consent of the people. The government you have is by your own consent. Not by those brave grey dead of one hundred and fifty plus years ago.

CSA Captain

Quote Originally Posted by Dether View Post
    I don't think anyone should have a problem with the 42 itself, I think the problem comes down to its shorter range for accuracy against the sharps on a particular scenario, other than that the weapon does fine in other scenarios, so I do not believe or at least hope they were not knocking the weapon but its place in the certain scenario. I take it that the devs put it there because that is what the guys used in that part of the battle, if so then fine.

but as the sway... yes I fire a lot with a lot of weapons and have never taken that long to come to target. but as long as everyone is doing it its fine. and before some one throws out the combat situation for sway, forget it. (retired US Marine 22 yrs 8 mo 9 days active) been there.
    No, the gun is an issue in all but one scenario ( Cornfield ). Lets just say those Georgia units at Hookers Push were mostly outfitted with the 42. Those Georgia units hit the Union hard with fire. The catch is, it was done at 75-100 yards. Now do that with the ingame 42. Good luck!!!

Bravescot ... you were in one of those tests a few months back with the ingame 42. As I recall, you didnt use the word "doable" or "usable" then. And you guys were close to us.

USA General of the Army

In Maryland State Near to both Antietam and Gettysburg, Harper's Ferry et al.
    I was in-game last night, the teams were fairly even, I think maybe 3 men difference in favor of the CSA. I was on as Union, since the update of the 7th seemed to lock out my ability to play CSA.

Of the time we were in the Hooker's push skirmish, I was taken out as casualties 3 times, and the sides were a good distance apart.

I also witnessed several others claimed as fatalities as well in that time.

CSA Captain

Quote Originally Posted by A. P. Hill View Post
    I was in-game last night, the teams were fairly even, I think maybe 3 men difference in favor of the CSA. I was on as Union, since the update of the 7th seemed to lock out my ability to play CSA.

Of the time we were in the Hooker's push skirmish, I was taken out as casualties 3 times, and the sides were a good distance apart.

If the Confederate player comes in as the 9thLA, there's a chance to get the 1855.

CSA Captain

And what was happening to the fellas on the opposite side in comparison to you fellas getting hit every now and then with a lucky shot? I could tell you because I was there. But I'm hoping you might share sense you left that part out.

CSA Lieutenant General

A.P., if the CSA had a 3 man advantage, that is why you could not play as the CSA. It's the select-screen forcing you to go to the side that is currently at the disadvantage. I think I remember Trusty saying that the max difference is 3, before it disables the side with the advantage from being selected (at least until that difference has shrank to be 1 or 2, then you can select that side again). Trusty, correct me if I'm mistaken.
    Civil War Ancestors:

Quote Originally Posted by dmurray6 View Post
    A.P., if the CSA had a 3 man advantage, that is why you could not play as the CSA. It's the select-screen forcing you to go to the side that is currently at the disadvantage. I think I remember Trusty saying that the max difference is 3, before it disables the side with the advantage from being selected (at least until that difference has shrank to be 1 or 2, then you can select that side again). Trusty, correct me if I'm mistaken.
    You've got it.

- Trusty

CSA Brigadier General

Also to add to the discussion of rifles I'm not sure if it's just me and goad but last night we were talking in game about the whitworth's sights. I've done a lot of searching of what the weapons looked liked and the firing pattern the weapon has. Due to one of my ancestors using one while fighting for the 16th MS in the Army of Northern Virginia. The sights in game are laughable to say the least if anything the Enfield 3 band sight that is modeled into the game has a closer representation to the sights used on this famous weapon. The weapon was a technological advancement for it's time to say the least in rifling. A man had the capability of hitting an artillery guns wheels at 500+ yrds to warn the crew of that gun to leave the area. Due to southern soldiers having a hard time of killing an unarmed man. With the current sights it's pretty much aim a little below what you wanna hit just so you can see the target the front sight takes up almost all of the rear sight. Anyways another concern is the target rifle the rifle that is sponsored at it's teir on donating is this strictly restricted to the union side or will there be a whitworth's variant with the scoped sight, and or is their any discussion to add this variant for diversity's purpose.
    "May we find a fruitful path in our endeavours, and show strength to our enemy's as we gallantly charge to meet them on the field of battle!"-
    Captain of the 11th MS Company F "Noxubee Rifles"