Thread: 'Out of Line' mechanic

USA Captain

'Out of Line' mechanic

Thought I would bring up a little matter that I have occur seen with the 'Out of line' mechanic, of which leads to four tickets taken away instead of the regular one. This being charging an enemy line, usually, this would simply lead to many splitting up and thus bringing the mechanic into play, this therefore penalises charging of which is a fundamental part of the game, this can similarly also be applied to a skirmishing formation, hence why I am bringing this up.

CSA Major

Charging should not be a fundamental part of the game, that's the issue.

CSA Major

I have been wondering about a similar thing myself - how to reconcile skirmishing with the new morale system. I am part of a unit with the specific remit of undertaking recce and skirmish actions (Cobb's Co C, Light Cavalry for Jackson's II Corps). As we lack actual horses, this can only be simulated by performing the same actions on foot i.e. scouting, ambush and generally causing trouble away from the main point of contention. This does not constitute Rambo'ing, rather it is a deliberate disruption of the opposition's intent. I have no issue with avoiding contact - a dead scout is of no use to anybody and I would rather run and re-position- but there may be occasions where individuals are killed, resulting in a potentially higher ticket loss. How does the new system cope with multiple groupings - do skirmishers/scouts need to stay grouped and how does that work with the 'main body' of troops. Could a side with multiple groupings e.g. scouts/skirmishers and main line suffer a double penalty if people are killed out of line? With the new system have scouts/skirmishers become a liability to the main effort?

Hi gents!

First, here's the usual disclaimer about the alpha: things might get changed/tweaked, etc. etc.

Now for the thoughts regarding charging and skirmishing in relation to the formation buff system; We want to make a head on charge an extremely risky move if not planned and acted out right - and of course a certain amount of luck is needed as well. It is possible to somewhat stay "In Formation" while you charge if you're aware of eachother while you do so - don't expect to be for long though as the formation buff requires 6 players within a relatively close proximity of each other to kick in. Once enough charging players have been killed off there is therefore an almost certainty of the formation buff no longer being in effect. It is at this stage an attacking enemy needs to consider if they wish to keep on the charge (and all risk getting killed while being "Out of Line") or retreat and get back into a formation.

Skirmishers will find themselves out of line in the current setup of the system. That too is intended. Yes, you might face a penalty for being out of line but you do have a massive advantage of, effectively, being able to sit in a bush picking off enemies in that nice big formation up ahead.

- Trusty

CSA Major General

Quote Originally Posted by TrustyJam View Post
    It is possible to somewhat stay "In Formation" while you charge if you're aware of eachother while you do so - don't expect to be for long though as the formation buff requires 6 players within a relatively close proximity of each other to kick in- Trusty
    Yesterday in a unknown cornfield the Unions was cowardly hiding in order to prevent the South of retaking a strategic position.

So here where the options :
    A) Line up and move '5' paces up ... -< at one point we are visible to the Union boys while we still have to aim
    B) Flank them from the side or behind ... -> moving in single line in order to find them made us to suddenly stumble on their ranks ... half suprised they still managed to break our formation.
    C) In 'melee' mode moving up asking a scout to give their position ... then charging head in -> doesn't break formation but when taking losses ... it does.

The Union was well organised, had a good vantage point and their officer(s) kept a disciplined tight line ... and we fought like lions (the corn is ours !!)
    Nice info : stabbing someone when he is crouched down ... requires some skill

CSA Major General

Quote Originally Posted by TrustyJam View Post
    Hi gents!

First, here's the usual disclaimer about the alpha: things might get changed/tweaked, etc. etc.

Now for the thoughts regarding charging and skirmishing in relation to the formation buff system; We want to make a head on charge an extremely risky move if not planned and acted out right - and of course a certain amount of luck is needed as well. It is possible to somewhat stay "In Formation" while you charge if you're aware of eachother while you do so - don't expect to be for long though as the formation buff requires 6 players within a relatively close proximity of each other to kick in. Once enough charging players have been killed off there is therefore an almost certainty of the formation buff no longer being in effect. It is at this stage an attacking enemy needs to consider if they wish to keep on the charge (and all risk getting killed while being "Out of Line") or retreat and get back into a formation.

Skirmishers will find themselves out of line in the current setup of the system. That too is intended. Yes, you might face a penalty for being out of line but you do have a massive advantage of, effectively, being able to sit in a bush picking off enemies in that nice big formation up ahead.

- Trusty
    I really like the system and our guys are learning how to plan for it.. and I am sure once the servers handle more folks that a proper skirmish line could be formed (meaning more that just 4 or 6 ) so I see no problem at this time with the math. and there are times I am sent on my own to put the feds down, and our leadership knows should I die it is a four count.. (of course my job is to be able to take out at least the same amount) I LIKE IT.
    All governments, everywhere derived its power by the consent of the people. The government you have is by your own consent. Not by those brave grey dead of one hundred and fifty plus years ago.

USA General of the Army

In Maryland State Near to both Antietam and Gettysburg, Harper's Ferry et al.
    I guess the question I have is ... at this time are more than one line allowed?

As you know there are at least two regiments per side per skirmish ... so do both regiments have to line up in the same single line or is the line based on the number of players per regiment? Meaning there can be at maximum 4 separate lines in a single skirmish.

I'm fairly certain you can have more than one. I think it just tracks a minimum of 5-6 or so but I'm not sure.

I'm not a real huge proponent of this system, I prefer pure individual morale punishing the player (even up to autosurrender) rather than punishing the team for reasons I will get into some later time. That being said, one of my litmus tests for stuff like this is taking various scenarios that are realistic or unrealistic and whether they work or not in the game as they should.

I've heard a lot of complaints about being 'technically' out of line when you feel like you shouldn't be getting that penalty. Here's the problem with that. You keep a tight formation, you're rewarded. You don't, you're not. Nothing says you should wildly charge sprinting zig-zag and breaking up your formation. Yet this was the norm before this mechanic was introduced. What the game is basically doing is allowing you to do whatever but making it so it's better for your team to die in close proximity to friendlies. So if you charge in a controlled and methodical formation with the numbers to make it work then you won't have that problem. Last night I saw some random officer try to move us at the quick step (that's walking) towards the enemy. Definitely a first. For the purpose of keeping that formation buff.

If you charge broken up or carry on down to the last man standing then you'll get those extra hits every time.

IMO There needs to be more depth and type of morale effects (even including autosurrender) which occur and break the individual formations. Almost all rounds are ending in a morale break and not an objective being taken. It's a good way to test the feature but if we're 10 minutes into a round and one side breaks it kind of makes me wonder why another formation can't continue the fight even if one is broken.

Heck... you could even take the choice of the regimental selection and have each one go in piecemeal. Once one is broken another arrives fresh. I don't think 30-45 minutes is too long for a map to go (unless it's Hookers Push). But I don't like that. I like the choice we get and I'm sure others feel the same. But you could have multiple uses for this 'broken' mechanic. As an example... you could amplify the morale effects on the individual players while one side is 'broken' requiring them to rally or face a backlash in playability. On the other hand, the objectives should be recappable during the extent of the round with a +/- on the round duration if one side is consistently broken and not holding the objective.

Whatever happens, it's important to remember that there will be a tsunami of non-team players coming no matter what you do. You can't make the game assuming everyone is going to give a rip about the formation buff because they won't. Heck, I hardly do.
    Last edited by Poorlaggedman; 10-28-2017 at 06:39 PM.
    Gameplay Suggestions: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JjUuaVXTJsY

Old Pennsylvania Discord: https://discord.gg/MjxfZ5n