Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast

Thread: State of Affairs as of 10/30/17

USA Brigadier General

Well i have to say I very enjoy this game even if it is still in alpha and i think i can talk for my friend Captain Winkler of the 18th NC that he like it also.

We had a lot discussions about this game. I dont like to play on bloody lane or Burnsides Bridge and he hate it to play against sharps rifles. Do you know what we do? WE LIVE WITH THAT!!

We see it as it is: a fucking awesome simulation! I can enjoy it even when my company lose again at bloody lane because we like to sing while we marching or i give short presentations about some historical facts, answer someones question about game/regimental history etc. Its just make fun to play it. Sometimes it's hard and sometimes it's easy.

I found some possible movements with i can live on bloody lane and Winkler found some solutions against superior number or weapons. Thats the game! you joined a faction and now live with the advantages or disadvantages. Thats also something which shows how "skilled" a Unit is. Can it use their own advantages and overcome disadvantages.

The only thing which keeps bothering us and also Captain Ross of the 95th NY(we like to host events with historical formations together) is tha fact that there is no possibility to play in private without a randoms who ruins our immersion by ramboing as a officer etc. This is the real problem in my mind. Please note that i understand that we are still in alpha but a lot of guys stopped playing WoR because they dont see why they should play when they know that they cant play it in the way how the game wants to be played because they get interrupted by ramboing childish randoms.

Our events hosted together dropped from a activity level of 40-50 men to 20 - 30 men because so much guys told me that they will come back on a later state when Campfire introduced private servers.
    It's not just our companies also a lot of other companies have the same "problem".

If it's not possible to host private servers due to development i can understand this but could be a compromise a "reservation for a private server"?

maybe you can lock one server with a PW and we are allowed to sign up to get this PW. Just one server per day at weekends. If i sign up and get the PW from you I can collect my buddies and other companies and host an event in a closed environment and i can guarantee that you will get a full server for stress test because everyone wishes a controlled event in a organized way without interruptions.

Advantage is you can serve 80 people with a high quality and enjoyable event and the rest has still enough other servers to play on it. Next weekend some other gets the PW and rally other companies and the rest can still use enough other servers.

And while i am typing this a other idea come up to my mind: Why dont host Campfire Games a closed event?

Advantage would be you can handle the sign ups and control that every company gets the chance to play on the server. Say a company is allowed to 2 events in a month and only more when space is available. If it's possible for you to close a server with a PW it would be a really really big thing and everyone (speaking about companies) would like it.

Thats just my idea and opinion. Sorry for my English. If something is unclear i will try to explain it again.
    http://www.warofrightsforum.com/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=522&dateline=14500460  02

Thank you for the feedback.

We don't have private servers/host private events because that is not our testing focus at the moment. While tempting to do so (lots of cool stuff can happen in a controlled environment) it will always be that however; a controlled environment.

The feedback from such play sessions will thus be of limited use to us since it only represents part of the bigger picture (depending on how controlled the private event is).

Once we have a playerbase big enough to be able to provide us feedback from closed as well as public servers (probably when we launch on early access) we'll support both as well as community hosted servers.

- Trusty

CSA Lieutenant Colonel

Maximus,

Firstly, don't take my statement in the wrong way, I agree with you, especially on the whole rambo situation, and these officers who don't know much about the tactics, and sound very VERY childish (Especially on the Union side... nothing against the Yanks, just an odd coincidence I think)

However, private servers, as Trusty mentioned, aren't practical, for what the game's testing purpose is. In the future, when 3rd party servers are added I definitely can see private servers, or password protected servers being an option that would help the whole rambo thing. But for now, we just have to deal with it... With certain players, who would rather run off and "snipe" (I realize that sniper rifles aren't period, believe I'm a reenactor, but you get the idea) people, or charge into the enemy with Bayonets constantly, we will have to leave them behind, as they will only get the whole company killed, by their actions. I say, let them lead their own backwater events, that don't function as you or I, or the developers for that matter, envisioned for the game to be played. If they want this to be Call Of Duty CW, then let them, they can have their fun, but we cannot let them ruin ours.

Anyway, I'm rambling, and I agree that we need crowd control in the near future, but only when the devs think it's appropriate for the purposes of testing
    CSheffield
    "Captain Fork"

-Farbs must be destroyed

USA Brigadier General

Thanks to Trusty and Sheffield for your reply

As I stated out I understand that we are still in development and that isn't practical that's why I made a compromise at the end of the text with just one server with a password.

With all respect I disagree with you both. I think you all miss one point: in my mind clans will be the main player and are at the moment the main tester. Fact is that a lot don't want to play at the moment. Fact is that there are less tester. Fact is that it is hard to motivate to play if you know you get trolled.

That can't be unseen or ended by a statement. That's a real problem. That's why I come up with my suggestion. It would bring more players back on the server because it makes more fun. The devs get more data also in terms of stress testing the server and you can also balance it in terms of clans which play a map organised which will be different to the actual state.

So I thought I have a good compromise but maybe I am wrong.

Don't get me wrong: I love this game and I would sell my grandma to raise my pledge if she was a penny worth (sorry granny please don't use the big cooking spoon to hit me) but at the moment we are at the point to stop our regularly skirmish event like a lot others and that makes me so incredibly sad that it hurts physically.

It really hurts to see how some companies are gone and others start decreasing in numbers and that's why I came up with this because I am afraid and want to find safety in the great arms of the dev team who start to pet my head and whisper in my ear:

Shh Maximus. All will be good in future right behind the corner. we will bring up some features which support the clan gameplay and stop ramboing and CoD gameplay. Please stop crying and start smiling again. Here you can have this Secretary of War key but please stop making such a face......wait that's your normal face?... I am so sorry bro. Here use this money for a face operation......." I think I get off topic but you understand what I am trying to say.
    Last edited by Maximus Decimus Meridius; 11-21-2017 at 06:29 AM. Reason: some words needed an edit xD
    http://www.warofrightsforum.com/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=522&dateline=14500460  02

USA General of the Army

In Maryland State Near to both Antietam and Gettysburg, Harper's Ferry et al.
    Quote Originally Posted by Maximus Decimus Meridius View Post
    ... (sorry granny please don't use the big cocking spoon to hit me) ...
    Ummm, your Grandmother has some kind of crazy fangled weaponry there ... I've never seen or heard about one of these before.

USA Brigadier General

Quote Originally Posted by A. P. Hill View Post
    Ummm, your Grandmother has some kind of crazy fangled weaponry there ... I've never seen or heard about one of these before.
    Fuck it was to late. I mean this little fucker:

CSA Captain

Your text is in places somewhat unhappy formulated, but I agree with your points so far.

To speak for my company, we know the problem addressed from our own experience and would also like to see an improvement in this case if possible.
    Captain Walter, Leopold, Lothar von-Winkler

Companies and player count has started to decrease because some people don't like fighting the same people over and over and over, and because of some of the mechanics now, with the same results over and over. That's not really fun. And honestly, I do think that allowing for some private servers would allow people to have some more fun and flexibility, and with more people comes more feedback. Plus, I highly recommend that Early Access release should be considered and done sooner than I know the devs have planned. Sooooo many people want to play the game, but have no idea how to, or don't want to do it because its papal and not on steam. It would bump up the player count, I know for a fact it would. At the very least, beta release should be a thing sooner than expected. The alpha and beta should be nailing down the most basic things in the game and branching out a bit, so basically, getting infantry combat done along with some maps and stuff. Early Access should be everything else, cavalry, artillery and stuff like that.

By the way, anyone else have their profile get reset and have to re verify their email and stuff like I did? Or am I an isolated incident?
    Last edited by SgtMcMuffin; 11-26-2017 at 07:18 PM.

CSA Major

Quote Originally Posted by SgtMcMuffin View Post
    The alpha and beta should be nailing down the most basic things in the game and branching out a bit, so basically, getting infantry combat done along with some maps and stuff. Early Access should be everything else, cavalry, artillery and stuff like that.
    Which is... what is happening?

It is, but, I'm concerend that the devs will try to overstretch themselves and spend too much time in the Alpha/Beta trying to complete a ton.