Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: State of Affairs as of 10/30/17

CSA Major

Quote Originally Posted by TrustyJam View Post
    Thank you all for your feedback. Keep it coming.

This very idea was discussed during our design talks and never ruled out. You very well may see it in testing at some point.

- Trusty
    Perfect. I think it would be an agreeable solution for skirmishing and loose formation fights. Perhaps also, as John Cooley pointed out, a grace period before the debuff applies also? Five to ten seconds should be enough to receive a volley, glance around and observe that you are now isolated in some way from your formation line or skirmish line.

Quote Originally Posted by Leifr View Post
    Perfect. I think it would be an agreeable solution for skirmishing and loose formation fights. Perhaps also, as John Cooley pointed out, a grace period before the debuff applies also? Five to ten seconds should be enough to receive a volley, glance around and observe that you are now isolated in some way from your formation line or skirmish line.
    A delay function is currently being worked on.

- Trusty

CSA Captain

Quote Originally Posted by John Cooley View Post
    Granted this is Alpha, and Early Alpha at that.
    We completely understand that the Purpose is focused on Testing Game Mechanics and possible Features.
    Further, Bug Reports and Testing the product for Play-ability and Launch Readiness are chiefly the purview of BETA Testing.
    That being said ... a few issues need to be addressed.

Recent Changes have NOT been successful in guiding the Testing toward Line Battle Mechanics, as intended.
    - The inability to scout or deploy skirmishers, combined with the ever present sniping by sharps rifles, has resulted in the almost exclusive use of one tactic ... hunker down and prepare for Custer's Last Stand.
    This could be fought as a Line Battle but adjustments to Spawn points and out of Bounds limits has made bunching together in a square the only way to keep a good eye out.
    - Then there is the 4X Ticket Loss mechanic.
    It has had the intended effect of getting everyone to stay grouped but ...
    Having a group as small as 6 scouts means that after the death of the first guy the remaining 5 now cause the massive Ticket Loss that can not be absorbed. Scouting Parties need to be large and unwieldy. 3 Man skirm groups are no longer possible and Watching the Flank now falls to the main Line.
    This Ticket Loss is greatly felt when the enemy is sniping reinforcements of a few men, a PUG Rambo keeps charging instead of playing as a Team and if the Defender doesn't focus an undue amount of attention on falling back and staying shoulder to shoulder.
    I say UNDUE Attention because it is one thing to Fill In for a lost man but if ... and this has happened to me several times ... you are anchoring the end of the line and the two guys to your left get killed just before you, during a volley, then you are shot ... you are considered Out of Formation. There ought to be a small window where the chance to Cover Down is available.

The effect of these Recent Adjustments has resulted in several sweeping changes. It is possible that this is intentional but we wish to Note them here for Informational purposes ...
    - We NEVER see a map timer run out. 10 minute battles To The Death are the new norm.
    - The Ticket Disparity now has the Rebels losing almost every engagement when before we lost very few. Not a complaint but rather an observation of how much the Game Changes are having an effect.
    - Win Parameters are now overly skewed to the Union side. The best example from this weekend was a Skirm in which the Yanks NEVER took the Point, not even once. The Final Death Toll was 87 Yanks dead to 38 Rebs. The Timer only ran for 8 minutes ... and we LOST.
    - The Weekend Events used to be composed of 4 Events consisting of approximately 3 skirmishes each of which the Rebels won all but 1 or 2 of these 12 to 15 ... on a bad day.
    Now, we play at least 25 Skirms and are lucky to win 1 all weekend.
    We now have a bit more empathy for the Pain of our Union Foes but losing when you dominate a battle is not right.

This brings me to our Final Point ...
    The Confederate Leadership is finding it increasingly difficult to convince our Troops to attend anything except Drills.
    Nobody has a problem with Losing due to our own Mistakes or Miscalculations but it is hard to motivate a man to spend his few free hours a week Testing a game that makes no sense.
    Again, this IS Early Alpha and we are testing mechanics but no testing can be done without Players.
    We aren't asking for Favoritism or an Easy Ride ... you don't build muscle, courage or camaraderie by having Victories handed to you. However, it is not fun for anyone to feel they are wasting their hard earned Time on being a Pop-up Target with zero chance to win because the battle cry has been changed from Deo Vindice to Deus Ex Machina.

Thank you for your Time and Attention in reading this long Post.
    We greatly appreciate your efforts and will always support and test the game and its Developers.
    Our Desire is to help bring this game to Fruition and, although it may be unpopular to some, we can not AND SHOULD NOT be yet another Member of The WoR Forum Echo Chamber.
    I agree. These people who buy the Pledge for Alpha access are helping no doubt, but somehow it should be known to them that its going to take more than that. They are in essence, play-testers. With just their presence alone whether in Skirmish or Drill Camp is a great contribution, even without input about the game to help speed the process but this point is missing for MOST, and by far. When the news came that Skirmishes will be out at some time, I made a prediction that the maps would be too small for the Rambos/Lone Wolfs, I was wrong because there just isnt enough people to fill that size of a map with the size of the server can handle, not even close at all.

And Poorlaggedman brings a good point. I personally see just a little less of them, but I see their effectiveness as more. They get in position to interdict the reinforcement paths from spawn to the front line. Especially with the Union, they can afford this luxury as they have more tickets. So what if they get killed themselves, if they can take out one Confed ( out of formation ) then they have already done more damage to the Confed team than ever will to their team if he's killed, so yea its definitely worth the gamble. If the Confeds takes measures to counter this, there could be severe consequences such as not having enough men at the vital points to even keep a formation going.

CSA Major General

Quote Originally Posted by John Cooley View Post
    We decided to Prove Our Point and played as Union tonight.
    It was laughable.
    Not only did we win every map but the Control Meter was Red a grand total of 2 times all night.
    I am not talking about totally red either ... it had a bit of red control just twice and we cycled through some maps more than once.
    I would love to see the stats on our Experiment.
    yes.. and it made me rethink some things.. pugs would not have mattered at all in those fights. (the fights lasted only a couple of minutes) I MUST now AGREE,,, the balance may be well off the mark in order to get a good picture for the game as it sets right now. I rarely play federal, last night I played both.. it is just way too easy on the fed side and there is no way that the devs can get an clear picture of their work if the matches last such a short time, (it is hard to get folks to not do their best in a fight and well they should not be asked to) so again.. I now agree, for the sake of furthering the game.. the balance needs some tweeking now.
    All governments, everywhere derived its power by the consent of the people. The government you have is by your own consent. Not by those brave grey dead of one hundred and fifty plus years ago.

USA Brigadier General

Quote Originally Posted by jwhal View Post
    Union = Easy Mode.
    Can't agree with that. In the end it comes to the playstyle of the commander and other players. In our community The German Volunteers are some CSA units and they often want to skirmish and spread out while our Union companies stay together and form a battleline to face the enemy.

Also when i am playing rebels I have the feeling that i have to spread out and start skirmishing. I dont know why i have this feeling but I can understand rebels who skirmish.

Before the formation mechanic comes in rebels laughed about Federal companies because they formed formations because its such a disadvantage and I had to agree because it was easier to spread out take cover behind a fence and just shoot but thats not i want.

Now we have Union companies which are familiar with forming a battleline and stay in formation while a lot confederate holding their old play style up and don't want to form lines. (I don't want to generalize or attack somebody thats just my mind after talking to some CSA companies)

Well, in the end all turned 180 degrees and thats something everybody has to accept until a new patch comes in. Now the other side has a small advantage and this will turn so often in this testing phase that its not a single sentence worth.
    http://www.warofrightsforum.com/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=522&dateline=14500460  02

CSA Captain

Quote Originally Posted by Maximus Decimus Meridius View Post
    Now the other side has a small advantage and this will turn so often in this testing phase that its not a single sentence worth.
    Superior weapons and more tickets is more then a "small advantage" with the current game mechanics. Just my opinion. And I'm sure that's something you can't agree on also.

USA General of the Army

That "Need" you feel was a necessity born from the desire for good intel.
    It is imperative, as the side that can not afford silly or capricious losses to know from which direction we are being flanked.
    It matters not whether we are attackers or defenders, formed in tight lines or spread out OR to the extent to which we Drill in pretty lines ...
    Superior range weapons combined with a shorter visual sight range guarantees that Union snipers have greater effectiveness and lines do not need to close to engage the Rebs. Add to this the ability to be flanked on almost every map and the exaggerated ticket loss this new system added and most fights are now Custer's Last Stand. We are forced to sit in tight bundles, in little cover with short range weapons against longer more accurate ones.
    Certainly, this would test line battle mechanics if we all met mid map and lined up for volleys but the superior number of tickets on the Union side affords them opportunities that make such a strategy inane.
    A Union Rambo who kills 2 Rebs in formation costs fewer tickets than the other way around because the Yanks have so many tickets to spare.
    Splitting into several large Units is a workable strategy for the Union so flanking makes much more sense than standing toe to toe.

As one of the very few who actively skirm multiple times weekly as a dedicated Cavalry Reconnaissance Unit every one of my Troopers can safely tell you that scouting was necessary to Confederate Survival and now that we are forced to line up with the rest of the Meat Puppets the loss of Scouting Intel is sorely felt.

Again I refer you to the Sunday Night Slaughter that occurred when Second Corps went Union.
    We invite any Union company to meet us on the Servers and we will gladly endure the itch, smell and rash that we suffer from wearing those pretty Blue Uniforms with Skunk Tail Hats so we can change your minds on this matter ... as we did those who faced us last week.
    Last edited by John Cooley; 11-02-2017 at 04:14 PM.
    My Great Great Grandfather, Isaac MacDonal Cooley, served as a Pathfinder Cavalry Scout
    in the 1st Arkansas Cavalry Regiment (Dobbin's) Company K
    My Avatar flies his Unit Guidon to Honor his Service.
    My Credo is a simple one ... Unit before Self with Honor above ALL else.

CSA Major General

Cool How are things today ? Update :)

I like the skirmish mode, but I do get that some believe it might make it easy for a small unit to apply guerillia tactics in order to destabilize a line.
    I can not stress hard enough that even in a line you need people looking left/right/behind and maybe some scouts. -> a square formation might help.

For the last week we have seen officers sneaking up (or waiting for fresh enemy units to go in) to deminish the numbers ... some off the attacks are suicidal but some are very affective.
    For now I would not adress this, if the officers class is limited (like with snipers or certain classes in some games), I don't see a prob (how more people play off course how more classes you need)

Quote Originally Posted by Redleader View Post
    I like the skirmish mode, but I do get that some believe it might make it easy for a small unit to apply guerillia tactics in order to destabilize a line.
    I can not stress hard enough that even in a line you need people looking left/right/behind and maybe some scouts. -> a square formation might help.

For the last week we have seen officers sneaking up (or waiting for fresh enemy units to go in) to deminish the numbers ... some off the attacks are suicidal but some are very affective.
    For now I would not adress this, if the officers class is limited (like with snipers or certain classes in some games), I don't see a prob (how more people play off course how more classes you need)
    Or you can implement an autosurrender. In that close proximity, alone or in a pair to an enemy formation you can imagine the fear factor. Heartbeat racing. Complete suicide mission. There's reasons that didn't happen so much. Nobody needs delegations of less than three players closing in and attacking large enemy formations of 10 or more. Nobody needs or wants that. The loners and pairs aught to run in that situation. Not go Wyatt Earp
    Last edited by Poorlaggedman; 11-12-2017 at 11:39 PM.
    Gameplay Suggestions: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JjUuaVXTJsY

Old Pennsylvania Discord: https://discord.gg/MjxfZ5n

Please don't bring community discussions from sources outside of this forum in here. It serves little purpose to discuss something not directly posted here as it becomes a sort of semi removed discussion.

I'm sorry if any testers feel we're not listening to them. Your primary task as an alpha tester is to provide feedback - it is thus a sad situation if you don't feel that feedback is acted upon.

I will say that, while not always bumped to priority #1 and released as a hotfix - feedback is always heard and noted. It is not possible to deploy quick and easy fixes for everything. Some issues take a great deal of time to solve.

Lastly I'd like to ask everyone to please drop the "us and them" mentality. It serves no one, trying to belittle the other faction when trying to provide balance centric feedback. All it does is make the arguement seem extremely biased and thus unreliable. It can also quickly escalate to nothing but negativity and doom saying which is not only not very useable as feedback but also hurts the entire community by increasing the toxicity which then means less people are willing to test which hurts the alpha development as it limits the amount of feedback we're getting.

- Trusty