Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: M1841 Mississippi Rifle Sights Question to the devs

M1841 Mississippi Rifle Sights Question to the devs

The first Mississippi rifles had a v-notch sight. This was later replaced with leaf sights with 100, 300, and 500 yard ranges. A ladder sight with ranges from 100 to 1100 yards in 100 yard increments was fitted on some later rifles.

My question to the devs is: I only see the one type of sight on the Mississippi rifle at the moment will the other types be introduced later on in the development? And for example the 3rd Alabama used this type of rifle would we be able in the company tool to select the type of sight? Or will you randomly get one of the sights? Not able to find which type of sight the 3rd Alabama Company A had. Will continue my search but believe it will be hard to get the detail information on that.
    Richmond Howitzers, 3rd Company

USA Lieutenant General

Can I add a second related question here? The 114th PA used to have the Mississippi rifle (which became my favorite) but they don't anymore, so is it now a CSA exclusive weapon?

Quote Originally Posted by Kane Kaizer View Post
    Can I add a second related question here? The 114th PA used to have the Mississippi rifle (which became my favorite) but they don't anymore, so is it now a CSA exclusive weapon?
    No I got it yesterday when I was playing as the Union forgot the regiment I was in. So it is there but randomly you will get either the Mississippi or the Enfield.
    I found out that the current sights on the Mississippi rifle are the old first version in the later stages of the production and when they actually got rifled they added the better sights to them. Production stopped in the year 1861 so we can assume most of the rifles had the improved sights during the year 1862

USA Lieutenant General

Interesting. Have to try to figure out which regiment that is. Personally, the sights were the reason why it was my favorite rifle. I just seemed to actually hit what I was aiming at when using it. (Unlike that dang Enfield)

Indeed I like this sights also but I am also very interested in the other sightings the rifle had, and if it will be possible to select that eventually in the company tool or you spawn in with one of the sights randomly.
    Mississippi is also my favorite rifle in-game

CSA Captain

I kinda like the Mississippi too because of the simplistic sights. IMO sights should be simple yet accurate and a lot of designs got it wrong (and still do). The leaf sights are a good case of being accurate enough to hit while simple enough for quick acquisition. The ranges we fire at do not need the incremental flip up sights.

USA Captain

This is such a minute and unimportant detail. I don't see why the devs would or should bother to implement customisable gun sights. I'm all for historical accuracy but it won't hurt anyone if gun sight variation isn't represented in the game.

Quote Originally Posted by Takerith View Post
    This is such a minute and unimportant detail. I don't see why the devs would or should bother to implement customisable gun sights. I'm all for historical accuracy but it won't hurt anyone if gun sight variation isn't represented in the game.

"maintaining the highest level of historical accuracy and realism as is possible"

It is a simple question if they do not implement this then so be it, pointing things out and asking questions doesn't hurt.
    They are all for the highest level of historical accuracy. That means details / uniforms / correct weapon type for each regiment / company
    Well it is very unstandable they got bigger fish to fry at the moment in the later stages of development these little details are part of the historical accuracy, whatever you may feel personally about it. Again it is just a simple question and as you can read above some even find it interesting, did not know the M1841 had different sights. So even if they will not implement it still good to share information.

Hey there brentcarter,

We are indeed intent on providing as accurate to the original experience as is warranted and possible in a game such as ours. And Takerith, considering we have implemented such minute details as different buttons depending on the maker, even things like variations in front sights cannot be classified as unimportant, though there would admittedly be little change in the actual use of the weapon. However, as the latter member mentioned, we are right in the midst of some major updates and constant improvements for more skirmish updates, so unfortunately this will presently be taking the back burner for the moment. But rest assured we will look into it Brent. Thanks for letting us know!

Quote Originally Posted by GeorgeCrecy View Post
    Hey there brentcarter,

We are indeed intent on providing as accurate to the original experience as is warranted and possible in a game such as ours. And Takerith, considering we have implemented such minute details as different buttons depending on the maker, even things like variations in front sights cannot be classified as unimportant, though there would admittedly be little change in the actual use of the weapon. However, as the latter member mentioned, we are right in the midst of some major updates and constant improvements for more skirmish updates, so unfortunately this will presently be taking the back burner for the moment. But rest assured we will look into it Brent. Thanks for letting us know!
    Perfect thank you! How do you guys keep track of all the historical details such as right weapon type a company used? You guys set up a database must or something because that must be a big puzzle to solve. Anyways thank you and good luck on the development loving the game!