Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Scavenging musket ammunition

CSA Major

Scavenging musket ammunition

For the first time in skirmishes I ran out of ammunition last night, and felt fairly useless (more so than usual ) during the firefight. You are left with the choice of either waiting for an opportunity for melee or re-spawning (with the attendant loss of morale for the team). The decision of what to do was eventually taken out of my hands by a Yankee bullet. I tried picking up other weapons to see if I could replenish some ammunition but either I was doing it wrong or there is no mechanic for doing so.

Is there currently a mechanic for policing up spare ammunition and if not, perhaps there could be some method of picking up spares from the dead? Perhaps not a full replen but a limited 10 or so rounds? I realise there are different types of weapons in use, hence only a limited replenishment.

USA Lieutenant General

Death himself does a pretty good job of supplying me as many fresh cartridge boxes as I need. :P I'm a little surprised that picking up someone else's weapon doesn't swap the ammunition as well, although I haven't had to try it myself. What I'm curious about is exactly how much ammo each weapon has, since I think the only way to find out is to test them out in drill camp and see how many shots you can fire.

CSA Major

Someone told me some time ago we had 30 rounds but I don't know if thats accurate. I have never kept count as I normally get hit or the skirm ends long before running out (lamest excuse ever for getting 'Dead man's click'). In reality, I should be able to look in my cartridge pouch to see how many I have left. That way, I could moderate my rate of fire as the circumstance dictates.

CSA Captain

Quote Originally Posted by John Jones View Post
    For the first time in skirmishes I ran out of ammunition last night, and felt fairly useless (more so than usual ) during the firefight. You are left with the choice of either waiting for an opportunity for melee or re-spawning (with the attendant loss of morale for the team). The decision of what to do was eventually taken out of my hands by a Yankee bullet. I tried picking up other weapons to see if I could replenish some ammunition but either I was doing it wrong or there is no mechanic for doing so.

Is there currently a mechanic for policing up spare ammunition and if not, perhaps there could be some method of picking up spares from the dead? Perhaps not a full replen but a limited 10 or so rounds? I realise there are different types of weapons in use, hence only a limited replenishment.
    How many guns did you try picking up?
    Texas Poppin B
    My Youtube:https://www.youtube.com/c/SarisTX

CSA Major

Quote Originally Posted by Saris View Post
    How many guns did you try picking up?
    I only tried about 3 times, one of which Im certain I picked up my own musket again. I'm afraid I was rather busy as we were expecting a Yankee push into the area so was more 'en garde' than scavenging

USA Major

40 rounds were standard for Civil War regiments. How do you pick up a musket?

Quote Originally Posted by Shiloh View Post
    40 rounds were standard for Civil War regiments. How do you pick up a musket?
    Drop your own (by pressing J), look at the one you wish to pick up and press F (might be able to also just switch them by pressing F on a dropped weapon, I don't recall, I never use the feature).

- Trusty

CSA Major

Hi Trusty,
    Can you confirm the number of rounds we have, and whether it is possible to pick up ammo with the muskets?
    Thanks!

USA Major

Quote Originally Posted by TrustyJam View Post
    Drop your own (by pressing J), look at the one you wish to pick up and press F (might be able to also just switch them by pressing F on a dropped weapon, I don't recall, I never use the feature).

- Trusty
    Thanks Trusty. This may sound like a silly question but why would you need to swap muskets? Can they be damaged? By picking up a musket are we getting any ammo with it?

Quote Originally Posted by Shiloh View Post
    Thanks Trusty. This may sound like a silly question but why would you need to swap muskets? Can they be damaged? By picking up a musket are we getting any ammo with it?
    As I said, I'm not a musket swapper so I can't recall if you're getting any ammo or not. I would think not as to the original poster of this thread though.

You can drop your weapon and pick others up because we like the freedom it offers. Might be game systems tied into it in the future when fouling gets expanded upon.

- Trusty