Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bayonet Charge

Banned

Bayonet Charge

Hey guys, I'm a pretty big fan of the game so far. It has a real authentic feel.

Does anyone else think implementing a bayonet charge would be a good idea? If you've ever played Battlefield 1 for example, they have a key where your character can sprint all out and will bayonet an enemy if in your path. Considering this is a WWI game, and hand-to-hand combat was WAY more prevalent during the War Between the States, I think the same type of bayonet charge could really benefit this game.

It would basically work as a sprint bar, that would diminish after each bayonet charge, then will fill back up as you slow down and walk around (maybe a 20-30 second wait)?

Any thoughts?

USA Major

I'm confused by this Younger. There are bayonet charges in WOR where you typically sprint into your opponent jabbing like heck until you either die, or there are no enemies left. During the Civil War hand-to-hand combat was not that 'common' as most guys didn't have the stomach for driving a bayonet into someones gut and most commanders wouldn't order it. There are certainly accounts at Spotsylvania, the Battle of Franklin, Kennesaw Mountain, etc. and it certainly happened but I feel like it happens WAY more in WOR than it did in real life. Are you talking about something that's coded into the game?

It's not needed. The bayonet system when finished will be considerably better than it is now, and better than BF1. And as Shiloh said, hand to hand combat was not super common because people didn't want to go into the enemy lines with a bayonet and their friends, possibly facing multiple walls of fire. And the BF1 system does a whole animation and you are incredibly vulnerable along with you cannot easily maneuver or get out of it, which we would want in WoR.

Banned
    I'm not saying I prefer B1 bayonet system to WoR...I agree that the battlefield version leaves you open. But for me right now, the bayonet thrust is not totally reliable. Sometimes I'll be clicking to attack and it won't budge, it just feels a bit sticky. I just wish it was a little more fluid

It was a lot better, and I do wish that they reverted melee back to what it was.

Quote Originally Posted by Younger Longest View Post
    I'm not saying I prefer B1 bayonet system to WoR...I agree that the battlefield version leaves you open. But for me right now, the bayonet thrust is not totally reliable. Sometimes I'll be clicking to attack and it won't budge, it just feels a bit sticky. I just wish it was a little more fluid
    That is because we have a cool down of a few seconds on melee attacks to lessen their deadliness. This makes it pretty much impossible to chain stab an entire line you've come up behind.

Quote Originally Posted by McMuffin View Post
    It was a lot better, and I do wish that they reverted melee back to what it was.
    While certainly not complete yet, we're rather happy with the changes to the system (requiring several stabs/hits to kill somebody). This is in effect to increase the time to kill and thus make a head on charge more of a gamble than it was before (we got lots of feedback in regards to players engaging in melee too often).

- Trusty

Quote Originally Posted by TrustyJam View Post
    While certainly not complete yet, we're rather happy with the changes to the system (requiring several stabs/hits to kill somebody). This is in effect to increase the time to kill and thus make a head on charge more of a gamble than it was before (we got lots of feedback in regards to players engaging in melee too often).

- Trusty
    I liked the direction in which the melee system is going, and one thing in specific I liked was melee kills taking stamina. But listen, people and units are still doing tons of bayonet charges. I see it in events and smaller battles. The stamina effect is plenty, trust me, it makes it fair enough to where after two stabs a person is now totally vulerable and defending is more balanced. The two hit thing doesn’t really make sense, it’s just an annoyance and hasn’t deterred people from the charges.

Quote Originally Posted by McMuffin View Post
    I liked the direction in which the melee system is going, and one thing in specific I liked was melee kills taking stamina. But listen, people and units are still doing tons of bayonet charges. I see it in events and smaller battles. The stamina effect is plenty, trust me, it makes it fair enough to where after two stabs a person is now totally vulerable and defending is more balanced. The two hit thing doesn’t really make sense, it’s just an annoyance and hasn’t deterred people from the charges.
    Thank you for the feedback.

I see a clear reduction in melee engagements (especially the annoying rambos taking out a huge number of enemies) since after the introductions of the changes to the systems - but we all experience different stuff.

- Trusty

There’s been a reduction in melee rambos, but overall charges are still pretty prevalent. Last event I was on (Sunday Public Event, last sunday) , there were 4-5 charges by the union on just one map. During East Woods the confederacy charged maybe 3 or 4 Times. As long as the track you plan on taking this leads to the directional melee system where a torso or head attack is one stab to kill but everywhere else is two, that’s understandable and I get it.

USA Lieutenant General

Bayonet charges where every stab was a kill was extremely annoying. All it really did in my eyes was highlight how sh*t everyone's aim was that they just gave up and started running at each other. I've had plenty of instances up until now where some poor sap thought he was cleverly sneaking up on me, stabbed me once as I raised my rifle, and then I blew him away at point blank (Better luck next time!). Also, I love how intense things become when you've been stabbed and have to try to keep up the fight while badly wounded. (My suggestion about making revolvers do similar damage to the bayonet, requiring two hits per kill unless it's a headshot, in exchange for allowing officers to reload is still out there, Trusty :P)