Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: Anyone else here hate Abraham Lincoln?

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Dman979 View Post
    LIKE WHAT SPECIFICALLY? Recognizing them as an independent country was out of the question, so let's put that option aside as gutless and delusional- much like McClelan himself during the war.

Best,
    Dman979
    Wow, so recognizing fellow Americans' right to self government is "gutless and delusional"...why don't we just go ahead and form Europe into one giant country too. Aren't they all just European after all?

Recognizing them as a country would have probably improved relations between the two sections and would have helped avoid a needless war.

Why are you so insistent that the south had to be subdued?

Right, let's just let regions form their own countries willie-nillie. I'm sure Ukraine, Texas, India, or countless other examples aren't representative of what countries should do...
    http://i.imgur.com/STUHVb8.png

CSA Captain

Quote Originally Posted by David Dire View Post
    Right, let's just let regions form their own countries willie-nillie. I'm sure Ukraine, Texas, India, or countless other examples aren't representative of what countries should do...
    Did somebody say Texas?
    Texas Poppin B
    My Youtube:https://www.youtube.com/c/SarisTX

USA 1st Lieutenant

Quote Originally Posted by Saris View Post
    Did somebody say Texas?
    Yeah, David Dire, I've heard it said that you shouldn't mess with Texas.

Best,
    Dman979

CSA Major

Ummm.....we did. Northern Ireland, Wales and especially Scotland have received significant autonomy from the UK government but only Scotland is likely to become independent in the foreseeable future. Although I'm pretty sure they would pronounce it "Wullie Nullie".

California comes around the corner

"whatchu say man"

Banned
    We have been taught that secession is treasonous, when it was a perfectly ambiguous and reasonable topic in the 1800s. States are talking about it now, and even nullification is going on at various levels.

You guys make some good points bringing up the UK, which as we all know just performed its "Brexit" from the European Union...which has been a disaster for Europe. There's nothing wrong with wanting to form new confederations and unions, etc.

Some simple research will show you that the countries with the highest ratings of freedom and liberty are SMALL countries. Luxembourg, Qatar, Switzerland etc. Switzerland is a confederacy and has some of the best education, healthcare, etc in the world.

The government we were left with after The War Between the States was no better than the one before it. It created segregation under law and found a new form of enslavement in convict labor and the private prison industrial complex. We've allowed our government to become so centralized and powerful that they can force you to buy health insurance...

ASK YOURSELF THIS QUESTION...would you pay taxes if there were no penalty? If you answered no (like most common sense people) you would realize that the government is extorting us by taxes. If you are only doing something to avoid punishment, that is by definition extortion. We allow them to steal from us.

And now our nation does exactly what it did to the south--on a world scale. Invade, destroy, restructure...rinse, repeat...Japan, Vietnam, Latin America, Middle East. The list goes on

Being an amateur on the subject I will oversimplify things. It's in men's nature to fight and if you give them a reason and they're bored they will likely do it.

Of course it's not quite as glorious when it turns out like the Civil War did! Other than I would question why would Americans fight Americans on anything. We are the Home of Freedom/Peace/Equality and such. Or at least I like to think so!

CSA Brigadier General

Younger Longest,

Since everyone else seems to be voicing their opinion I guess I'll drop my two cents as well.

As a Sons of Confederate Veterans member, I am quite sympathetic to your views and I enjoy lively debate as much as anyone else. But for the sake of keeping this community enjoyable for everyone, I'm going to recommend you not bring up discussions about politics here or at the very least do so in a more moderate tone so as not to encourage others to avoid escalating the debate the *insert bodily excretion here*-flinging you tend see literally everywhere else in this.

You are of course free to ignore me and speak your mind as you see fit if you want. But I suggest you exercise restraint.

If you want to have an unfiltered debate about the American Civil War and all the good and bad things that go along with that, I suggest http://boards.4chan.org/pol/ you're always guaranteed to have a lively thread when it comes to that.

Avoid the History and Humanities board though, unless you don't mind 300+ replies of "Sherman should've burned babies alive" spam or pregnant Anne Frank fetishizing (if you don't know what that is, DON'T ASK)

And remember, it's not just you who's got something at stake here. If political discourse on this forum is allowed to get as caustic as it is everywhere, we might find ourselves stuck with our version of the gag rule.

Anyways, welcome to the community.

7xosDM2.jpg
    Last edited by Extracrispi; 12-02-2017 at 02:04 AM.
    Hit that Subscribe Button

https://www.youtube.com/user/360Nomad

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Extracrispi View Post
    Younger Longest,

Since everyone else seems to be voicing their opinion I guess I'll drop my two cents as well.

As a Sons of Confederate Veterans member, I am quite sympathetic to your views and I enjoy lively debate as much as anyone else. But for the sake of keeping this community enjoyable for everyone, I'm going to recommend you not bring up discussions about politics here or at the very least do so in a more moderate tone so as not to encourage others to avoid escalating the debate the *insert bodily excretion here*-flinging you tend see literally everywhere else in this.

You are of course free to ignore me and speak your mind as you see fit if you want. But I suggest you exercise restraint.

If you want to have an unfiltered debate about the American Civil War and all the good and bad things that go along with that, I suggest http://boards.4chan.org/pol/ you're always guaranteed to have a lively thread when it comes to that.

Avoid the History and Humanities board though, unless you don't mind 300+ replies of "Sherman should've burned babies alive" spam or pregnant Anne Frank fetishizing (if you don't know what that is, DON'T ASK)

And remember, it's not just you who's got something at stake here. If political discourse on this forum is allowed to get as caustic as it is everywhere, we might find ourselves stuck with our version of the gag rule.

Anyways, welcome to the community.

7xosDM2.jpg
    Looks like I will have to join it. The moderators are banning my free speech and closed my other thread you commented on