Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: Anyone else here hate Abraham Lincoln?

Banned
    Another primary source

Hitler on Lincoln's genius in shutting down state sovereignty:

http://www.mondopolitico.com/library...ampf/v2c10.htm

Karl Marx, another Lincoln fan boy, congratulating him on his re-election:
    https://www.marxists.org/archive/mar...oln-letter.htm

USA General of the Army

Quote Originally Posted by Younger Longest View Post
    SLAVERY WAS CONSTITUTIONALLY LEGAL. LINCOLN SAID HIMSELF HE WOULD HAVE KEPT SLAVERY OR DONE AWAY WITH IT TO KEEP THE UNION TOGETHER.
    Wait let me do that too. I NEVER SAID IT WASN'T LEGAL! The argument is over whether the Fed had the right to declare it illegal since slaves were considered property. It would be the same as the gov't trying to confiscate your cell phone today.

As for Lincoln, he was a politician and a lawyer, what do you expect? Do I hate him, no. Do I agree with him, no. He did what he thought was right, he should have been impeached for abuse of power, but he got a pass because of the war. John Wilkes Booth shot him and the south suffered because of it. At best he was ok.

Are we really going Reductio ad Hitlerum? Seriously?

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Oleander View Post
    Wait let me do that too. I NEVER SAID IT WASN'T LEGAL! The argument is over whether the Fed had the right to declare it illegal since slaves were considered property. It would be the same as the gov't trying to confiscate your cell phone today.

As for Lincoln, he was a politician and a lawyer, what do you expect? Do I hate him, no. Do I agree with him, no. He did what he thought was right, he should have been impeached for abuse of power, but he got a pass because of the war. John Wilkes Booth shot him and the south suffered because of it. At best he was ok.

Are we really going Reductio ad Hitlerum? Seriously?

My problem is that he is consistently listed as a "great president" when in reality he caused the death of hundreds of thousands and spent a fortune on the war. The best presidents should be those that AVOID major conflicts and compromise, in my opinion.

And, yes, I bring up Hitler because he and Lincoln basically are ideological twins when it comes to their views on state sovereignty.

USA 1st Lieutenant

My problem is that he is consistently listed as a "great president" when in reality he caused the death of hundreds of thousands and spent a fortune on the war. The best presidents should be those that AVOID major conflicts and compromise, in my opinion.
    And when compromise isn't possible, should they roll over and die?

And, yes, I bring up Hitler because he and Lincoln basically are ideological twins when it comes to their views on state sovereignty.
    Wooo hooo! It's Godwin time, baby!

Best,
    Dman979

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Dman979 View Post
    And when compromise isn't possible, should they roll over and die?
    Pretty sure that's not what I said...but also not sure why invasion of your own country is justified by a failure to compromise

USA 1st Lieutenant

Pretty sure that's not what I said...but also not sure why invasion of your own country is justified by a failure to compromise
    That seems to have two parts to it, so I'll address them separately.

First, I didn't imply, say, insinuate, suggest, hint, indicate, signal, nor convey the impression that's what you said. I'm only asking you what should they do when compromise isn't possible?

Second,

Best,
    Dman979

Banned
    Please explain how calling for 75,000 soldiers to attack another state in your "union" does not qualify as an invasion...multiple southern states only chose secession after Lincoln did this. Please see the quotes above from North Carolina and Arkansas governors. Your ignoramus attitude and the fact you resort to "memes" to prove your point only show that you are refusing to look at facts...

USA 1st Lieutenant

Please explain how calling for 75,000 soldiers to attack another state in your "union" does not qualify as an invasion.
    It was suppressing an insurrection. No invasion needed!

Anyway, what should a president do when they can't compromise?

Best,
    Dman979

Banned
    Yea it was an "insurrection" of states that decided to legally and peacefully secede. Show me a constitutional provision that shows this was illegal. It really came down to Lincoln's interpretation. As I stated before, several former presidents sympathized with the south and saw nothing constitutionally wrong with seceding.

And as to your question about what do when compromise fails, HOW ABOUT SOMETHING PEACEFUL ? Or he could have just made peace with the south and recognized them as an independent country, which was all they wanted. This was what his former general, George B. McClellan proposed when he ran against Lincoln in the election of 1864

USA 1st Lieutenant

And as to your question about what do when compromise fails, HOW ABOUT SOMETHING PEACEFUL ? Or he could have just made peace with the south and recognized them as an independent country, which was all they wanted. This was what his former general, George B. McClellan proposed when he ran against Lincoln in the election of 1864
    LIKE WHAT SPECIFICALLY? Recognizing them as an independent country was out of the question, so let's put that option aside as gutless and delusional- much like McClelan himself during the war.

Best,
    Dman979