Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Some thoughts on the upcoming flag bearer feature and line stuff.

Some thoughts on the upcoming flag bearer feature and line stuff.

I'm not the biggest advocate of the 'in line' system but it seems unlikely to veer away from that in favor of a better, individual morale system so I'm okay with some sort of hybrid as long as it works.

I'm a little concerned about the implementation of the flag bearer as a spawn. As I've already expressed concern, putting too much power in individual players' hands is not typically a great idea. I heard there might be a sort of "you are about to desert" feature that keeps a flag bearer from leaving the proximity of one of the larger 'lines' present on the map. Will the flag bearer be a one-spawn sort of assignment or will you continuously spawn as a flag bearer with a flag?

Why not have someone spawn as a flag bearer only once and then leave those colors in the game, able to be recovered (and preferably not fall under a bridge or something). If they aren't recovered after 2-3 minutes or there is nobody near them for 2-3 minutes then they de-spawn and a flag bearer can spawn again? What happens if the flag bearer goes AFK?

Will the flags be able to be furled or unfurled for use as a spawn? I assume that only flags who are manned by friendlies can be used as a spawn? What's to stop a flag bearer from hanging out in front of a formation of friendlies who are engaged in a ranged fight? Friendlies could literally spawn out of thin air in the line of fire of both teams if there are not controls to keep that from happening.

Why not have selectable spawns on a map which open up under certain circumstances. An initial spawn point, maybe forward spawn points later as objectives become more complex, and a spawn that opens when you have both a 'line' with a color bearer and puts you spawning just behind that line? This way the colors are needed but not the only factor that determines exactly where you spawn. You could even have a minimal colorguard in reserve if you have a disciplined enough team to effect that spawn somewhere safe if the enemy is too close to allow you to spawn.

If numerous static spawn areas can be placed around the map perhaps they could be opened up depending on where you have a line with an active color bearer?

'Out of line' casualties could have less options of where to spawn or have an increased spawn time.

I'm very concerned about the prospect of just having a flag bearer pooping out people spawning wherever he happens to be standing.
    Last edited by Poorlaggedman; 12-04-2017 at 04:16 AM.

CSA Major

I believe flags will be recoverable and that then the new bearer will act as the spawn point. This information was either written in a dev blog, a dev post or something I was told elsewhere - I'm pretty sure on this.

Quote Originally Posted by Leifr View Post
    I believe flags will be recoverable and that then the new bearer will act as the spawn point. This information was either written in a dev blog, a dev post or something I was told elsewhere - I'm pretty sure on this.
    Correct.

The flag bearer functionality will be tied into our formation buff system. Steer too far away from your group and the flag will be assigned to another player. It is also our intention of introducing a reset timer so that a flag can't be on the ground forever or stuck inside an object, etc. etc. to mess one team up.

Usual disclaimer regarding this though: The system is next in the pipeline (once the engine upgrade is finished up) and thus may change during its creation.

- Trusty

The flag bearer should have to be part of a unit in order to allow people to spawn. What I mean is he would have to have people near him, probably utilizing the same detection system base for the formation buffs, so he replenishes people near their own unit to avoid half a company just materializing out of nowhere suddenly based on where the flag bearer is.

However, I do wonder, wouldn't it be kinda weird to just spawn in the middle of combat, potentially a dozen or so people and have to force them to just organize on the fly? I feel like it would just introduce chaos and confusion as people try to figure out where to go. I think as poorlaggedman suggested, spawns opening up at different points in time may be a better route to take. The flag seems like it could be better utilized as a buff, if the flag is near, you aren't suppressed as badly or something.
    Last edited by McMuffin; 12-05-2017 at 01:58 AM.

A flag should only spawn behind a line, a secured line. Having a scout-flag person run out behind the lines and spawn in players doesn't seem right.

CSA Captain

Quote Originally Posted by Sneakydude View Post
    A flag should only spawn behind a line, a secured line. Having a scout-flag person run out behind the lines and spawn in players doesn't seem right.
    A flag bearer as a scout is a horrible idea, why would anybody do that?
    Texas Poppin B
    My Youtube:https://www.youtube.com/c/SarisTX

USA Major

Quote Originally Posted by Saris View Post
    A flag bearer as a scout is a horrible idea, why would anybody do that?
    Historically: For absolutely no reason.
    In game: For unrealistic reinforcements, and as a joke.

Cpl. George Anthony
    Gunner

Battery A, 1st New Jersey Light Artillery
    The German Volunteers

Quote Originally Posted by VOLCUSGAMING View Post
    Historically: For absolutely no reason.
    In game: For unrealistic reinforcements, and as a joke.
    You will not be able to spawn in on the flag if the flag bearer is not in formation so a lone guy flanking the enemy with a flag only to have lots of guy spawn at him and thus take the enemy by surprise is not going to happen.

- Trusty

USA Major

Quote Originally Posted by TrustyJam View Post
    You will not be able to spawn in on the flag if the flag bearer is not in formation so a lone guy flanking the enemy with a flag only to have lots of guy spawn at him and thus take the enemy by surprise is not going to happen.

- Trusty
    Thanks, if that was the case the game was already dead.

Cpl. George Anthony
    Gunner

Battery A, 1st New Jersey Light Artillery
    The German Volunteers

Exactly why i posted that. Don't underestimate how people do things.
    Id like to honestly see it, if a line is drawn, enough numbers around the flag person then they can called that "secured position" then the spawn system can actively work. If it is over ran by numbers, the spawn can not be used.

1. Commanders line drawn
    2. 5+ soldiers present + flag
    3. Flag in the same area within a 10 foot radius
    4. Spawn system opens up and works.

If over ran, flag moves back to initial point of 5+ soldiers.

AS i am newer to the game, please correct what i may have not said, or if a better system is there.