Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Marksmanship and Numbers

Marksmanship and Numbers

If large historical skirmishes become the 'norm' in final release things will change. When 200 or 300 guys shooting at 200-300 guys in a organized firing position! The META I'm seeing in the Alpha will change dramatically.

I'm not sure anything like that will ever happen? I'm not sure servers can even support multiple company numbers without lag?

Without that these maps are large and better aiming will be required to keep the game more entertaining though likely less historical. (even though my sights are too shaky even for real life) These boys of the era were STRONG! They could hold a rifle steady for a bit! At least more steady than in game.

I'm kinda confused as to what the point of the post is, the sentences don't make any sense.

USA Sergeant

wat

Pvt. William J. Sadowski

Interesting, I didn't think my sentence structure beyond comprehension. Next time I'm in game I'll host on my Twitch Channel, I'll link here my exact Experience to show you in elementary terms what I mean?

USA Major

Quote Originally Posted by OleSawedBones View Post
    If large historical skirmishes become the 'norm' in final release things will change. When 200 or 300 guys shooting at 200-300 guys in an organized firing position! The META I'm seeing in the Alpha will change dramatically.

I'm not sure anything like that will ever happen? I'm not sure servers can even support multiple company numbers without lag?

Without that these maps are large and better aiming will be required to keep the game more entertaining though likely less historical. (even though my sights are too shaky even for real life) These boys of the era were STRONG! They could hold a rifle steady for a bit! At least more steady than in the game.
    If I understand you correctly you are saying that the final gameplay won't be very entertaining if things keep on going like now. If that's the case I see what you mean. Although I do need to point out that the developers already know that it is something of importance. Also, I'm confident that the developers will fix it somehow, and I'm pretty sure they won't make the game unhistorical but will fix it in another way. Just my opinion though.

Cpl. George Anthony
    Gunner

Battery A, 1st New Jersey Light Artillery
    The German Volunteers

USA Major

I think with a project like this it's tough to see even a few years down the road - or whenever that full release happens - as to what gameplay may be like in servers with 200 or more if in fact servers can handle those numbers at that time. This is going to be a game that has to develop and change constantly based on feedback and a clear picture at any given time what can be done to improve, stabilize, or balance based on the decisions that have been made to that point in time.

One of the best things I've seen is the developers on the battlefield pretty regularly lately and that's a good sign that they have their finger on the tap of what's working, what's not working and where to go from here. I have confidence that adjustments will be made as needed but it's tough to say where that takes this game before full release. Then there's the heavy involvement in the forums but already we're seeing a desire to keep this more toward 'historically accurate' and less so toward 'arcady' and that certainly appeals to me.

CSA Captain

Quote Originally Posted by OleSawedBones View Post
    If large historical skirmishes become the 'norm' in final release things will change. When 200 or 300 guys shooting at 200-300 guys in a organized firing position! The META I'm seeing in the Alpha will change dramatically.

Without that these maps are large and better aiming will be required to keep the game more entertaining though likely less historical. (even though my sights are too shaky even for real life) These boys of the era were STRONG! They could hold a rifle steady for a bit! At least more steady than in game.
    Well, you are kind of missing the point here. 'Large scale skirmishes' did not take place, Infantry fought in line formation in order to bring about the shock factor required to make their enemy retreat, something that could only be managed by mass volleys. While the rifled weapons that were used during the war were an improvement over smooth bores they still only had an effective range of around 500 yards, making shots from an individual still largely ineffective....and this is reflected in the game thankfully.

Quote Originally Posted by Shiloh View Post
    I think with a project like this it's tough to see even a few years down the road - or whenever that full release happens - as to what gameplay may be like in servers with 200 or more if in fact servers can handle those numbers at that time. This is going to be a game that has to develop and change constantly based on feedback and a clear picture at any given time what can be done to improve, stabilize, or balance based on the decisions that have been made to that point in time.

One of the best things I've seen is the developers on the battlefield pretty regularly lately and that's a good sign that they have their finger on the tap of what's working, what's not working and where to go from here. I have confidence that adjustments will be made as needed but it's tough to say where that takes this game before full release. Then there's the heavy involvement in the forums but already we're seeing a desire to keep this more toward 'historically accurate' and less so toward 'arcady' and that certainly appeals to me.
    Absolutely love your response here! I hope that the Devs are doing precisely that! What incarnation this game takes on is going to be difficult at best to say as the development goes on.

As you say with 200 guys... you set off a volley you are more a less putting up a wall of Miniballs, accuracy is far less important! Though often as you see in my video here if anyone wants to watch 1 in 30 chance at hitting at around 150/200 Meters(though I cannot really tell the distances). That's probably right but with only 10 vs 10 say that isn't going to be too entertaining. Also it leaves too many empty spaces on large maps for flanking which I see a great deal. Artillery, 100 vs 100... accuracy takes a second seat to realism, small skirmishes, accuracy may actually be required. And you got my point entirely

https://www.twitch.tv/videos/207916373

Sox, maybe things will appear different later. As it is set to Skirmish Mode only now during Alpha. I do not feel my weapon highly accurate beyond 100 feet. Can you prove me wrong? Of course I've only fired a few hundred rounds and probably only downed 15-25 guys and likely more of them with close up shooting and melee. Next large scale engagement I may upload it's more formation style combat as you can get. Though without hundreds I suppose my observations are premature.

I've spent a lot of time trying to make long range shots. I'm not even convinced the rounds register after x distance. I've also tried some experiments where another guy and I posted ourselves by trees at around two hundred yards and tried to hit each other's trees. It was nearly impossible. Less than ten percent we could even determine impacted anywhere on the trees. I'm not sure what's up with the ballistics but I suspect they are FUBAR