Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Lead a platoon last night again

CSA Captain

Lead a platoon last night again

Been a while since I lead and none of the big outfits which claim possession of the officer roles (and will TK you if you don't give them up by the way) were around on the CSA side. The USA had the 51st NYC in force and organised. So after a round of us getting rekt on the bloody lane CSA players were asking for leadership and wondering where II was or any of the ALA companies. So I took the officer class the next round, contrary what I said about not leading anymore. We formed a line in the cornfield and pushed those yankee's back. I believe Ga. and some leaders of II joined a little later with reinforcements and found our line holding the point firmly.

Of course I enjoyed leading the men (and women possibly I don't know) into battle. Especially if they know what they're doing, or doing the best they can to receive, interpret and execute the orders they hear. But the tiny thingy I'd like to underline here is:

THIS GAME NEEDS LEADERS

Men lead by an officer will absolutely destroy a steerless mob. But as yesterday showed, even a little leadership (I didn't play with these people before let alone training together) can go a long looooong way.

Thanks

So this is a "I am great story", O yes you mention that this game needs leaders. Very interesting.

CSA Captain

Well I am great! No, really it were the people playing CSA who were great yesterday. For trusting a leader they didn't know and working with what they had. Anyone can be a leader with a little patience, a microphone and reading up on some tactics. We need more of them.

USA General of the Army

Quote Originally Posted by JohnDewitt View Post
    Anyone can be a leader with a little patience, a microphone and reading up on some tactics. We need more of them.
    Not everyone is good at it or meant for it though. So no, not everyone can be a leader even with practice.

You win some you loose some. If they want to take officer they may take officer. It doesn't make them a leader though. A good leader should be able to take control of the situation and command, class choice regardless.

CSA Captain

Quote Originally Posted by Bravescot View Post
    Not everyone is good at it or meant for it though. So no, not everyone can be a leader even with practice.

You win some you loose some. If they want to take officer they may take officer. It doesn't make them a leader though. A good leader should be able to take control of the situation and command, class choice regardless.
    But if more people try it, we'll find more leaders among them.

USA General of the Army

You're not wrong there.

Go easy fellas.. I myself never tire of of hearing a tale of heroism, Where the Blue invader gets his ass handed to him by a ragtag handful of spirited rebels pushed back but not beaten...Well done John.hats off! Hurray for Dixie!! As for the leader thing no not everyone can be leaders. A good officer needs to have many attributes tactical awareness, presence, time to invest in the game and most importantly the ability get their message across without being insulting or patronising. I have met lots of officers in this game but very few who hold all these qualities..

CSA Major General

You're not wrong there.
    I fully agree, hence not to forget that people of the same company/regiment will listen to their officers/NCO's.

Not all people are natural leaders, some grow into their role ... others do miserably.
    Others are comfortable in their role as soldier, NCO, we do need diversity.

In a regiment it's important to give people a chance to take on more responsability and act as a coach.
    We've seen it before if the officer goes down, the group crumbles to disarray ... so a good hierarchy works wonders.

I also believe that blindly recruiting or accepting does more harm then benefit.

USA General of the Army

Quote Originally Posted by Redleader View Post
    I also believe that blindly recruiting or accepting does more harm then benefit.
    Agreed, but not fully. Recruiting everyone and anyone that shows an interest is fine. All you got to then do is refine the crowd to those you want and those you don't want if you're being picky. If not then, training to an acceptable level will the be the challenge.

Like with leading, not everyone is suited to following. Some are in the awkward middle ground where they don't want to follow, but are not close to good enough to lead.

CSA Captain

Agreed, but not fully. Recruiting everyone and anyone that shows an interest is fine. All you got to then do is refine the crowd to those you want and those you don't want if you're being picky. If not then, training to an acceptable level will the be the challenge.
    Yeah i agree with this, i think everyone should get a fair chance if they're interested in joining. From my perspective it's more up to the leadership to show the way and tell them what's expected from them, and what kind of behavior isn't welcome etc. Besides, everyone can have off nights where they act like a prick, despite being good guys, so second chances and working together to avoid bad behaviour is key as well.
    6th Alabama Volunteer Regiment "2nd Battalion - Co. H & K"

Batt. Recruiter JT

Add me on steam under the name "[6thAL]SCpl. JT" if you're looking to join up.