Thread: Maximum ping for playing?

CSA Major

Maximum ping for playing?

Hi all,
    Sad to report that after waiting a week to get online to play in Sunday's event with my II Corps chums, I had major issues for the second week running with my connection.

Some of it is undoubtedly network related; I live in a relatively rural UK area and the internet speed is a laughable 2.9MB per second (as tested just now). However, I have previously not had too many issues and can chug along generally fine.

The Ping has been pretty high for me over the last couple of weeks, particularly for the NA servers on which the events are held - last night it was running between 400 and 550 or so and really hampered me. I got in initially, long enough to get a Teamkill through negligent discharge (sorry again Sgt Vulcarin!) and when the game crashed (which I can put up with - it's Alpha) I spent over half an hour vainly trying to get back in. I could get into the game but not beyond the loading screen. I also shut down Teamspeak to conserve bandwidth but to no avail.

Two parts to the question -

1. Is there a maximum ping above which its pointless to try connecting?

2. Is anyone else suddenly having issues with excessive ping in the game?
    Last edited by John Jones; 12-11-2017 at 09:10 PM. Reason: said bandwidth rather than ping

Ping can vary in how bad it is up until the 150 mark at the max. Beyond that you will start experience connection issues and possibly negative game effects (shots not registering, people jumping around, etc), but if you really want to play you could. If it is beyond 400, I wouldn't bother because things can get weird (as I am sure you know) and it's really hard to play. Beyond 6-700, you may not be able to connect at all or if you can, the game is unplayable. So, up until the 6-700 mark, if you really want to play you can, just a matter of how much you can tolerate in terms of lag effects.