Thread: Which side should I join? Moral, Morale and Gameplay Mechanics questions.

Which side should I join? Moral, Morale and Gameplay Mechanics questions.

Which side should I join?

An answer I got on another forum from some American friends.

"That is a hard question to answer without knowing how the game handles historical differences in troops that fought on each side. Are differences cosmetic, only, or are things like morale, leadership and quality of weaponry modeled? I'd be surprised if such things were actually accounted for in terms of game mechanics. Also, does the game focus on any particular time period of the war? This could be relevant because as the war dragged on and the confederacy lost men and territory, its ability to wage the war degraded.

In general, Confederate leadership was regarded as superior, particularly early in the war. In addition, Confederate troops are generally thought of to have been superior marksmen and more hardy on the march and out in the wilderness. To the contrary, Federal forces generally had superior equipment, weapons and uniforms. The discrepancy was most notable in artillery, as the South had few ordnance factories and foundries with no access to steel/iron and the union blockade increasingly prevented the Confederacy from procuring other raw and manufactured resources and war materials.

Again, I would be surprised if these factors that impacted the war are modeled in the game. "

Slavery is obviously another question. But a lot say this was just a sideshow thrown in to make the Union cause just.

CSA Captain

My suggestion to you would be to play the game for a good 2 to 3 weeks on both sides. Get to know the people playing and join who ever you find enjoyable to play along side regardless of side. Joining by just choosing a side or by size of company you will find might put you in a group that hardly plays or you might not enjoy.

USA General of the Army

In Maryland State Near to both Antietam and Gettysburg, Harper's Ferry et al.
    I'd say Sir, that examining your contribution level insignia, you've already made that determination.

Welcome to the CSA!

CSA Lieutenant General

Quote Originally Posted by A. P. Hill View Post
    I'd say Sir, that examining your contribution level insignia, you've already made that determination.

Welcome to the CSA!
    Here Here!!! Welcome Captain Destraex.
    Civil War Ancestors:

USA Sergeant

Suggest you read https://warofrights.com

the first 3 lines tell you this:
    "War of Rights is a multiplayer game set during the perilous days of the American Civil War, in the Maryland Campaign of September, 1862. "

Units will have their historical arms and uniforms. So in some cases the CSA will have the best arms and in some the US soldiers.
    (plenty of soldiers on both sides still used smoothbore muskets...)
    Thomas Bernstorff Aagaard

USA General of the Army

It is Alpha and many things change with each Update so my Suggestions ...
    - Def do as Jwhal mentioned ... play both sides and see which Community you prefer.
    - Attend Events and see how people act.
    Above all else ...
    Follow your Heart. If you aren't happy playing on one side, it won't matter how much you like the people you play with.
    Right Blake?
    Last edited by John Cooley; 12-14-2017 at 08:27 PM.
    My Great Great Grandfather, Isaac MacDonal Cooley, served as a Pathfinder Cavalry Scout
    in the 1st Arkansas Cavalry Regiment (Dobbin's) Company K
    My Avatar flies his Unit Guidon to Honor his Service.
    My Credo is a simple one ... Unit before Self with Honor above ALL else.

USA General of the Army

In Maryland State Near to both Antietam and Gettysburg, Harper's Ferry et al.
    Just a further note:
    The way the player side balance mechanics work, you'll be apt to play either side whenever there's any number of players online.

Point is, have a great time regardless of side. It will allow you to sample a greater variety of weapons, uniforms, play styles, etc.

Again, welcome, and have a great time.

Quote Originally Posted by John Cooley View Post
    It is Alpha and many things change with each Update so my Suggestions ...
    - Def do as Jwhal mentioned ... play both sides and see which Community you prefer.
    - Attend Events and see how people act.
    Above all else ...
    Follow your Heart. If you aren't happy playing on one side, it won't matter how much you like the people you play with.
    Right Blake?
    Where did you get Blake from?

USA General of the Army

Quote Originally Posted by Destraex View Post
    Where did you get Blake from?
    Blake is a great guy that I hold in great regard.
    He joined the Reb side because he wanted to play with a group of guys he liked and we were glad to count him among our Ranks.
    That being said ... he is, and always has been, a staunch Unionist at heart.
    You should have been there for the many spirited debates in our TS. heh

This game is supposed to be about having fun and, after much discussion and soul searching, he convinced us that his place was with his Union Brothers, despite our close association.
    We enjoy ribbing him and fighting AGAINST him now, just as much as we loved ribbing and fighting WITH him in the past.

I only mentioned him as an example of "Finding your Heart and Place" not worrying about Uniforms, Weapons etc.
    Last edited by John Cooley; 12-16-2017 at 01:25 AM.
    My Great Great Grandfather, Isaac MacDonal Cooley, served as a Pathfinder Cavalry Scout
    in the 1st Arkansas Cavalry Regiment (Dobbin's) Company K
    My Avatar flies his Unit Guidon to Honor his Service.
    My Credo is a simple one ... Unit before Self with Honor above ALL else.