Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Is Shelby Foote's,The Civil War: A Narrative the best primer for this game?

For this particular game, set at Antietam, I can recommend a couple great references. Foremost: "The Maps of Antietam" by Bradley M. Gottfried. Excellent breakdown of the main battles as well as Harper's Ferry and South Mountain. Very well done as he breaks things down into smaller parts of the field, using the Ezra A. Carman topographical/survey maps. These also included detailed Orders of Battle and other data. Outstanding book. He also has books on several other battles, which I also own. I highly recommend them.

The other is the "The Gettysburg Companion", while about Gettysburg, offers great detail on unit formation, weapons, deployments, etc. It's both a good common reference as well as a look at the Gettysburg battle in part and whole.
    Developer of "North & South: American Civil War 2.0 for Napoleon Total War"
    http://www.twcenter.net/forums/forum...ican-Civil-War

CSA Captain

Shelbys footes civil war trilogy is a fantastic read, I fist bought it in paperback years ago but now have it on Audible and listen to it while I work, a great way to pass time!

CSA Captain

Also be sure to watch Ken Burn's: The Civil War. Shelby Foote was a speaker, and was a great watch to get you in the mood.
    Just when I thought I was out...they pull me back in!

USA Captain

For a Union perspective, you cannot beat Bruce Catton's trilogy. Mr. Lincoln's Army, Glory Road, and A Stillness at Appomattox. Hardtack and Coffee is excellent as well.
    Descendant of David Jewell - 1st Maine Heavy Artillery, Philo Johnson - 11th Vermont/1st VTHA

CSA Sergeant

Quote Originally Posted by Cairnsy44 View Post
    For a Union perspective, you cannot beat Bruce Catton's trilogy. Mr. Lincoln's Army, Glory Road, and A Stillness at Appomattox. Hardtack and Coffee is excellent as well.
    Second this. Full of actual quotes from officers and soldiers.

CSA Major

Quote Originally Posted by Mitchy View Post
    Shelbys footes civil war trilogy is a fantastic read, I fist bought it in paperback years ago but now have it on Audible and listen to it while I work, a great way to pass time!
    Heck! I was not aware that there was an audiobook version. Does Mr Foote read it?