Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Is Shelby Foote's,The Civil War: A Narrative the best primer for this game?

Is Shelby Foote's,The Civil War: A Narrative the best primer for this game?

I have two books in a set on civil war uniforms

I have a Vital Guide called "Battles of the American Civil War". This book only details in summary what the author considered major battles.

I own Gods & Generals and Gettysburg on blu ray.

I have just picked back up Bernard Cornwell's "Battle Flag" and ordered the last book "the bloody ground".

But as you can see I am missing a really authorative history of the civil war that really lends itself to me knowing what I am talking about. Is Shelby Foote's The Civil War: A Narrative set of three books what I am looking for?
    It is very old. Before I was born in fact. 1958 is when the first one was published. 100 years or so after the event.

USA General of the Army

In Maryland State Near to both Antietam and Gettysburg, Harper's Ferry et al.
    I recommend ... This one. One volume 670 some odd over sized pages, lots of graphics, and a narrative from years before the war started up to and through post civil war America.

USA Sergeant

Foote's books are a great narrative. But they are simply not history books. No sources and no footnotes.
    And he do make claims that can't be backed up and some that are factually wrong. (like the claim that Bufords men had repeaters at Gettysburg)

But if you just want to read one book/ a series then they are fine.

I fully agree that Canton is a good option. I don't own the specific one, but have read some of his work.
    Thomas Bernstorff Aagaard

Thanks guys. If Foote's book is a good read for a noob and is 99% correct (like most books) then I am ok with it.

CSA Captain

Yes, I have my own set. Great-Grandparents went to school with this man, was a good friend of the family
    50th Georgia Co. C "Coffee County Guards"
    1st Lt. Soldier

Have you lived off of poor rations, dehydrated, in horrible boots and feared for your life while running half a mile and then brought your sights up? If you can answer yes to those questions I'll consider your suggestion to reduce aim sway. -Trusty
    I did shoot a deer at 100m once in 20 degree weather with Ugg's boots on and I hadn't eaten breakfast, closest I could get to your description -Me

Quote Originally Posted by William F. Randolph View Post
    Yes, I have my own set. Great-Grandparents went to school with this man, was a good friend of the family
    That is cool! I love listening to the civil war interviews of him (even though he wasn't a historian).

I have the complete 40th anniversary edition of his books. Lots of great images in them and more manageable than the three original volumes.

- Trusty

CSA Captain

Basically, anything by Bruce Catton or, on the novel side, Killer Angels (it's the novel that the movie Gettysburg was made from).

USA General of the Army

I made my previous recommendation given that the O.P. asked for an overview reading of the war.

However, if he wishes to get into the nitty gritty of command of the two more popular armies, The Army of Northern Virigina's history is best put to writing by Douglas Southall Freeman in his three volume work entitled Lee's Lieutenants.

A recently released book, Lincoln's Lieutenants, by Stephen W. Sears, equally covers the Army of the Potomac's command structure.

USA General of the Army

If you want a good first hand account, you can't go wrong with "Hardtack and Coffee" or "Company Aytch."

USA General of the Army

Photographic History of The Civil War, 10 volumes.

Volume 1

Volume 2

Volume 3

Volume 4

Volume 5

Volume 6

Volume 7

Volume 8

Volume 9

Volume 10

Enjoy.

smiley_salute.gif