Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Line Battle Map

Line Battle Map

We desperately need this if you (developers) want to see this game progress in the right direction and get the proper feedback, you have to make a linebattle map and game mode. And it would be as simple as this, make a big open map (think of Napoleon: Total War "Grassy Flatlands," see pictures below if you do not know), and remove the capture point, that's it. You will not get the right feedback if you have us fighting in these skirmish maps, we are unable to do any lines properly and execute these battles. People right now just go and sprint towards the point, forgetting any semblance of civil war line battles, hide behind a rock and fence, and that is it. You will continue to not correctly test your game (to most people who play this, this is a game, they paid 70 dollars for it, you cannot say it is just an Alpha and justify it) and people will lose interest. Just convert two of the pre-existing servers (we never use more than one or two servers during high volume event days) to a dedicated open map line battle. It is such a shame to see this beautiful looking, and thanks to the engine upgrade, pretty smoothly functioning (relatively) game go to waste as people sprint around and shoot people like chickens with their heads cut off. And don't say you can't have a big enough map, Hookers Push is plenty big. Add some hills, maybe a fence or stone wall, tree's, etc., and it would be perfect. Also, by the way, move the capture point for Piper farm back to where the CSA can utilize the stone wall, and cover and the Union has to leave the fence to do anything.

Last edited by McMuffin; 12-17-2017 at 03:48 PM.

USA Lieutenant General

I think right now it's about working with what you have, not every battlefield allows for favourable conditions, adapt and overcome. In the future we'll have more open maps but for now we have what we have.

Thank you for your feedback.

I will dare to question a huge change in player tactics simply based on a more open (we have quite a few open skirmish areas so far) area to fight on without a capture point. Players will always use what's available to their advantage. No map and gamemode can create a strictly "linebattle" mode for you to enjoy. That has to be achieved either by artificial server rules set by an admin in a controlled and locked environment or it has to be "pushed towards" by a set of custom gameplay systems such as our formation system (and flag bearer system in the future).

- Trusty

That's not the point, just ask most people, and you will hear we do not get Civil War line battles. If you do not want to focus your game development on line battles then fine, ignore all of this. Today though, people merely tactical blob up and sprint towards the point, fire a few rounds and probably do a charge or something of the type as they try to desperately take the point back from whoever can make a bigger tactical blob. I used to hear linebattle commands from both sides; I just don't hear anything anymore aside from "come over here, spread out" etc. This madness and no one knowing what to do are because of the capture point system. Don't get me wrong, for skirmishes were civil war line battle tactics were not used and guerilla warfare would sometimes emerge, that is perfectly fine. And I am not asking for a map that enforces line battles strictly. Many people want only linebattles and actions focused around that, yet you put entire units who paid money for linebattles and give them this. You have to see how it can anger some people or just bum them out that this is what they get.

As for the maps, we have that supposedly encourage line battles (only ones I can think of are Pry's Ford, Hookers Push, and maybe Miller's Cornfield, and Piper's Farm if the objective was adjusted) all have something where one side or the other just do the same thing over and over and over and over. Many people genuinely play this like Battlefield 1 or something like that. Officer rambos are also resurfacing as an issue now because it feeds and reinforces that tactical blob mindset of rushing the point with as much gun as possible. Also, a lot of people get stuck with Sergeant Major and do not want to respawn because of the morale system so they just Rambo and die. If you're going to keep people interested in your game, provide a place where they can do line battles. You have all of these pictures of people marching in line formation and doing line battles, but we do not get that anymore.

I know I sure as hell did not pay 70 dollars for a game that was promised to me to deliver line battles, and in the Alpha, which is supposed to be working on core and the basics of the game, has zero incentive nor testing for line battles. The linebattles seem pretty core and basic to a Civil War game in all honesty. I hope it does not take until Early Access where we see testing for line battles and those mechanics; it will be way too late.
    Last edited by McMuffin; 12-17-2017 at 04:15 PM. Reason: added on

Quote Originally Posted by McMuffin View Post
    That's not the point, just ask most people, and you will hear we do not get Civil War line battles. If you do not want to focus your game development on line battles then fine, ignore all of this. Today though, people merely tactical blob up and sprint towards the point, fire a few rounds and probably do a charge or something of the type as they try to desperately take the point back from whoever can make a bigger tactical blob. I used to hear linebattle commands from both sides; I just don't hear anything anymore aside from "come over here, spread out" etc. This madness and no one knowing what to do are because of the capture point system. Don't get me wrong, for skirmishes were civil war line battle tactics were not used and guerilla warfare would sometimes emerge, that is perfectly fine. And I am not asking for a map that enforces line battles strictly. Many people want only linebattles and actions focused around that, yet you put entire units who paid money for linebattles and give them this. You have to see how it can anger some people or just bum them out that this is what they get.

As for the maps, we have that supposedly encourage line battles (only ones I can think of are Pry's Ford, Hookers Push, and maybe Miller's Cornfield, and Piper's Farm if the objective was adjusted) all have something where one side or the other just do the same thing over and over and over and over. Many people genuinely play this like Battlefield 1 or something like that. Officer rambos are also resurfacing as an issue now because it feeds and reinforces that tactical blob mindset of rushing the point with as much gun as possible. Also, a lot of people get stuck with Sergeant Major and do not want to respawn because of the morale system so they just Rambo and die. If you're going to keep people interested in your game, provide a place where they can do line battles. You have all of these pictures of people marching in line formation and doing line battles, but we do not get that anymore.

I know I sure as hell did not pay 70 dollars for a game that was promised to me to deliver line battles, and in the Alpha, which is supposed to be working on core and the basics of the game, has zero incentive nor testing for line battles. The linebattles seem pretty core and basic to a Civil War game in all honesty. I hope it does not take until Early Access where we see testing for line battles and those mechanics; it will be way too late.
    I'm sorry you don't seem to be thinking we're working towards the best possible "line battle" experience outside of having events set up in private servers (which is how linebattles only work in other games) (private servers will be available later on in the development).

As I stated above, having an open field (we've got plenty of those) without an objective and call it "Line battle map 1" will not make line battles happen. People will find the best possible positions/tactics and stick to that.

- Trusty

CSA Captain

The reason for this is there is a single point both sides are rushing to right now. They are not going to form up and march to the point and let the other side get there first and establish a firm hold.

Maybe there should be two points a distance apart from each other making each side have to form up on there point to get there timer set. Then the battle will begin and each side is defending there point and trying to take the opposite point.

Then both sides will be attackers and defenders so the moral/tickets could be set more evenly.

Quote Originally Posted by jwhal View Post
    The reason for this is there is a single point both sides are rushing to right now. They are not going to form up and march to the point and let the other side get there first and establish a firm hold.

Maybe there should be two points a distance apart from each other making each side have to form up on there point to get there timer set. Then the battle will begin and each side is defending there point and trying to take the opposite point.

Then both sides will be attackers and defenders so the moral/tickets could be set more evenly.
    Our maps are based on historical areas and scenarios. These often dictate an attacking and defending side.

Once the flag bearer spawning is in we have the defending team spawn on the point in the first spawn wave. This will counter any sort of mindless rush from the attackers.

- Trusty

CSA Captain

Quote Originally Posted by TrustyJam View Post
    Our maps are based on historical areas and scenarios. These often dictate an attacking and defending side.

Once the flag bearer spawning is in we have the defending team spawn on the point in the first spawn wave. This will counter any sort of mindless rush from the attackers.

- Trusty
    That will stop the rush to the point and change how things are done at the moment I hope it is sooner rather then later.

Quote Originally Posted by jwhal View Post
    That will stop the rush to the point and change how things are done at the moment I hope it is sooner rather then later.
    It is high on our programming priority list.

- Trusty

USA Major

Honestly I don't think we have enough players or server capacities to do line battles. It looks like we could have them at some point but as it stands now, the best we could do - and this is with every player on the field forming up in line at one time - have a 40 vs 40 line battle which would be unlikely to happen unless arranged for in advance. I think we need to let this game mature a bit more and we could see more of that as numbers increase and I don't think it will be too late if this takes until Beta or full-release.

I like to think of it as if this is a large-scale battle that is just beginning and we're the skirmishing forces feeling out the enemy as the main body hasn't arrived yet. We're trying to capture strategic points that are necessary so that when our army arrives, we hold the better ground. The way we fight now is in fact the prelude to how many battles started in the Civil War.