Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Even higher morale loss for out-of-line officers

USA Lieutenant General

Even higher morale loss for out-of-line officers

Perhaps even all officers in general, but especially the out-of-line ones. AKA, the Rambos. Losing officers does have a significant impact on the morale of the men they were commanding for obvious reasons, and anything that could help to cut down on that style of play is just fine with me. Applying a heftier loss to officers even when they're with their men would also encourage them to hang a bit farther back behind their men.

Quote Originally Posted by Kane Kaizer View Post
    Perhaps even all officers in general, but especially the out-of-line ones. AKA, the Rambos. Losing officers does have a significant impact on the morale of the men they were commanding for obvious reasons, and anything that could help to cut down on that style of play is just fine with me. Applying a heftier loss to officers even when they're with their men would also encourage them to hang a bit farther back behind their men.
    Thank you for the idea.

The current plan is to take away an officer's field command if he's died out of line a number of times in a match. This should eliminate a bunch of the lone gunslingers.

- Trusty

CSA Lieutenant General

Quote Originally Posted by TrustyJam View Post
    Thank you for the idea.

The current plan is to take away an officer's field command if he's died out of line a number of times in a match. This should eliminate a bunch of the lone gunslingers.

- Trusty
    I agree with your outlook Trusty, but you must admit, Kane's idea would likely put an immediate stop to it, if a faction took 6x the out-of-formation loss normally taken by any lesser soldier rank. What would that be, if an officer took 6x that of a normal soldier out-of-line?
    Civil War Ancestors:

USA Lieutenant General

Quote Originally Posted by dmurray6 View Post
    I agree with your outlook Trusty, but you must admit, Kane's idea would likely put an immediate stop to it, if a faction took 6x the out-of-formation loss normally taken by any lesser soldier rank. What would that be, if an officer took 6x that of a normal soldier out-of-line?
    I don't know about "immediate", since first off not everyone reads patch notes and second some players don't even care about costing their team morale, they just like the satisfaction of getting a bunch of kills easily. But it would help to curb it, I think. Especially from those players who do know better but just can't help themselves sometimes.

CSA Major General

Quote Originally Posted by Kane Kaizer View Post
    I don't know about "immediate", since first off not everyone reads patch notes and second some players don't even care about costing their team morale, they just like the satisfaction of getting a bunch of kills easily. But it would help to curb it, I think. Especially from those players who do know better but just can't help themselves sometimes.
    I agree and you summed it up very well in this post.
    All governments, everywhere derived its power by the consent of the people. The government you have is by your own consent. Not by those brave grey dead of one hundred and fifty plus years ago.

If you don't care enough to play with your team chances are you won't care about costing additional morale to it when dying.

This is why more individual nerfs such as losing your officer class or having to wait longer before being able to spawn on the flag bearer when killed out of line will be implemented.

- Trusty

CSA Major General

Quote Originally Posted by TrustyJam View Post
    If you don't care enough to play with your team chances are you won't care about costing additional morale to it when dying.
    This is why more individual nerfs such as losing your officer class or having to wait longer before being able to spawn on the flag bearer when killed out of line will be implemented.
    - Trusty
    I like the idea ... Are you thinking of making those 'debuffs' stack ? What if the person relogs (reconnects ?)
    Spawn killing could be an issue for taking out loners (it's hard to do on maps but it isn't impossible to just camp out reinforcements ... (it's something we should stronly discourage)
    I write for my personal account and from personal experience, unless stated otherwise.

Reconnecting is a serious issue to get around stuff, even if it might seem unlikely. Can your TK limits be circumnavigated by reconnecting? I've literally seen trolls who full-time came on servers and TK'd 4 times (the limit was 5) and reconnected in other games. People would TK him and get autobanned until nobody remained. Do not. Underestimate trolls.

I suggested on another thread that a player only gets to play officer once (unless TKd) to be a server option among many others when it comes to classes to allow for changes for events or 'scrimmages.'

Quote Originally Posted by dmurray6 View Post
    You couldn't be more wrong about that. I am very concerned about this trend to make the outcome of the match depend on the actions of the few. Most shooters are like that, but the system coming into focus and being promoted is appearing to be designed so the outcome of matches depend on the mistakes and disobedience of the few. An entirely different and frustrating affair.

It reminds me of a bug in another game (RnL) where a certain objective gave you reinforcements when you cap it by design. The bug was that if you started and stopped recapping that objective then it would count as a cap for the enemy team. So there were circumstances where, on your own, you could walk in and out of the cap zone and give the opposite team +15 reinforcements each time. It was little-known but some people just want to watch the world burn. It happened plenty by accident as well and was never fixed. It's bad concept to punish the entire team in a pure measure of win vs loss for the actions of one player. It adds another dimension to unnaffective and useless players that they don't need to have. Punish the individual (individual morale), not the team.
    Last edited by Poorlaggedman; 12-21-2017 at 11:49 PM.

CSA Major General

Quote Originally Posted by Poorlaggedman View Post
    Do not. Underestimate trolls.
    We should always be wary about these 'persons', they are ditermant on finding exploit, bugs, advantages ...
    We can report it when we come to such a thing so devs can undertake action.
    I write for my personal account and from personal experience, unless stated otherwise.

Poorlaggedman brings up a good point. Punishing the entire team for the mistakes of one or two rambos who either do not care about the team and only care about getting kills or the mistakes of people who just do it for whatever reasons is unfair and a bad idea. Design a system that punishes just that person and leaves the team relatively unaffected, Trusty's idea of booting the person out of the position is an excellent example of this. The morale system is already starting to get pretty harsh, and matches are ending abruptly regardless of the situation at hand. I've seen the Confederates suddenly begin to pummel the Union (it is usually this situation when this happens) and all of the sudden the Union just wins the match. It is disheartening and extraordinarily frustrating. Coupled with the annoyance of the Union having massive capture bonuses on maps where they are attacking so all they have to do is sprint right up to the point, capture it, and they win without a single shot fired and sometimes under 40 seconds. So please do not make morale even more brutal, it is starting to become an instrument that breaks the game instead of fixing it.