Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

Thread: New Players PLEASE read.

CSA Major

Quote Originally Posted by Alcuin View Post
    How do you join a Regiment?

What's the benefit?

Is there training for new players?
    active list of regiments and contacts, and yes totally different gaming experience when your with an organized established company/regiment, benefit is your not getting trolled and team killed on purpose plus the opportunity to meet other serious like minded community members who play the game the way it was meant to be played.
    Napoleon Total War American Civil War Multiplayer Mod Discord Community - https://discord.gg/J3xJ4DU

TUNNELLS ARE USELESS....so why bother anyway - Henry Wirz (Andersonville film quote)

USA Captain

Quote Originally Posted by Warboy View Post
    active list of regiments and contacts, and yes totally different gaming experience when your with an organized established company/regiment, benefit is your not getting trolled and team killed on purpose plus the opportunity to meet other serious like minded community members who play the game the way it was meant to be played.
    Couldn't have put it any better myself Warboy.
    :

CSA Major

Be sure to play for a couple of hours though, see who is active and what groups would best suit you as a player. They all offer different things.

USA Major

Quote Originally Posted by Alcuin View Post
    How do you join a Regiment?

What's the benefit?

Is there training for new players?
    1. War of Rights is (at the moment) mostly company based. One thing to consider is whether you want to fight for the Union or the Confederacy. You can read about confederate companies here, and union companies here. If you have trouble finding the right company for you, you can probably say what things you are looking for, and it's likely that someone will suggest a company to you. When you have found the right company, they will most likely have information about how to join, otherwise, you can write a message to the commanding officer on steam or on the forums.

2. You will have people to play with, a community that you will get to know, you can partake in events, and many more things. There isn't really any downsides to joining a company.

3. Most companies offer some form of training. Some companies might have a sergeant teaching the volunteers how to execute basic commands, and other companies have regular drills. (For example: "Volunteer training, Saturdays at 19:00-20:00.")

-I hope that I was able to help.

Cpl. George Anthony
    Gunner

Battery A, 1st New Jersey Light Artillery
    The German Volunteers

It's the reason I choose to back WoR: fed-up of the non-squad playing, Rambo-types in Battlefield/CoD. When WoR is played correctly it is far more satisfying and tactical. Indeed, Battlefield/CoD can be great when played in a more realistic style.

I do feel for new players, though. There isn't an official guide that I've found telling you how to play and what is expected (some short, unofficial ones are about). Players just assume it's another Battlefield/CoD scenario and behave accordingly (or don't care).

"C’est magnifique, mais ce n’est pas la guerre: c'est de la folie"

I think a lot of what the OP says is going to be apparent for anyone getting in in good faith. I have one battle under my belt (last night) but I watched a bunch of YouTube videos before buying the game. First thing I did was got in an empty drill yard and acted like an imbecile there - figured out running, bayoneting, and shot a few tents (hope they didn’t belong to anyone lol). In my first game it was that bridge one and I was a confederate. I just watched what everyone else did and followed suit. I even got one Yankee before they conquered us.

So that’s my newb perspective. Other newbs can do well if they want to.

CSA Captain

Quote Originally Posted by toka View Post
    Other newbs can do well if they want to.
    Except...they don't.
    ''I'm here to play an American Civil War era combat game, not Call of Duty with muskets.''.

I did the same (to save any embarrassment): spent some time in a deserted, stormy drill camp shooting at nothing and bayoneting ghosts...very creepy.

"C’est magnifique, mais ce n’est pas la guerre: c'est de la folie"

If there is war, Virginia will become the Flanders of North America.
    Robert E. Lee

Quote Originally Posted by toka View Post
    I think a lot of what the OP says is going to be apparent for anyone getting in in good faith. I have one battle under my belt (last night) but I watched a bunch of YouTube videos before buying the game. First thing I did was got in an empty drill yard and acted like an imbecile there - figured out running, bayoneting, and shot a few tents (hope they didn’t belong to anyone lol). In my first game it was that bridge one and I was a confederate. I just watched what everyone else did and followed suit. I even got one Yankee before they conquered us.

So that’s my newb perspective. Other newbs can do well if they want to.
    I'll be enlisting on Christmas....my wife is getting me the game. This is my first post and I've got a few questions, the last of which surely belongs on this thread....

1. It's apparent there is still a lot of interest in the game, probably because of the time period and immersiveness. I'm pretty sure my 4 yr old laptop can handle it (Core I7, GTX 765M). Frostpunk back in the spring was the first game this rig couldn't handle, and recently I was able to play Fallout 76 (ouch).
    2. Can you have more than 1 persona ? On both sides?
    3. Are death cries allowed on voice chat?

Thanks guys. Cyas in just a few more days.