Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Art Work Show you drawings and paintings.

CSA Major

Example?
    Colour images (whether film, plate or printed) did not become available for the absolute vast majority of consumers until the late 1800s / early 1900s. However, the process of hand colouring images was certainly possible and very prevalent - especially among the public. Typically, a small amount of pigment was layered onto the surface of an image and then sealed with varnish to produce the 'colour' image. I'd like to see an example though of what you think you're suggesting.

USA 1st Lieutenant

Quote Originally Posted by Leifr View Post
    Example?
    Colour images (whether film, plate or printed) did not become available for the absolute vast majority of consumers until the late 1800s / early 1900s. However, the process of hand colouring images was certainly possible and very prevalent - especially among the public. Typically, a small amount of pigment was layered onto the surface of an image and then sealed with varnish to produce the 'colour' image. I'd like to see an example though of what you think you're suggesting.
    I think I mean what you're saying but most of the example i'm thinking of are photos from teh '20s but these look like what I was thinking
    n-SOLDIERS-PLIT-large570.jpg
    2545BFDD00000578-0-image-a-2_1422905796500.jpg

edit: they get big if you click on them
    Last edited by BloodBeag; 10-15-2015 at 06:07 PM. Reason: I posted something else that was trolly then changed it so people would think the other person was stupid

CSA Major

I see now.

The first example is an ambrotype (glass plate) image of three Confederates whom were captured at Gettysburg. The original is certainly not coloured in any way, what you're seeing there is a digital manipulation. I have done a little bit of this myself but I am not a professional by any means. It is usually done in Photoshop and involves building up the layers to achieve a realistic palette of tones. Here is something I did two years back (but never finished):

The second one could go either way, although without seeing the original source I am inclined to suggest that it is simply a very, very poorly done digital colouring.

USA 1st Lieutenant

Ok well i like the edited colours anyways

[Delete this message].
    Last edited by Stephen; 11-08-2015 at 04:49 AM.

USA Captain

I can do some basic stuff in photoshop. mainly just dumb shit to pass time lol.
    Example of my work:

ShrekHulkGritty.jpg

Quality... am I right? lol
    Last edited by MrAmerican; 11-08-2015 at 12:33 AM.
    Captain Lewie Kotter

CSA Lieutenant Colonel

Nice sketch Stephen. I like the spelling of your name btw. I'm digging the "ph" (My name is also Stephen with a "ph". I get excited when I see other Stephens )
    "The patriot volunteer, fighting for country and his rights, makes the most reliable soldier on Earth." - Lieutenant General Thomas "Stonewall" Jackson

"It is well that war is so terrible. Otherwise we should grow too fond of it." - General Robert E. Lee

"I would rather die a thousand deaths than betray a friend." - Confederate Scout, Sam Davis

Brigadier General James J. Archer
    Archer's Brigade
    A.P. Hill's Light Division
    Army of Northern Virginia

I'm sorry I had to delete this sketch as I've found a mistake in it (moreover, it's happened to look quite primitive). A good drawing will require seriously hard work.
    As for name Stephen, I think with 'ph' it's just more traditional. Steven and Stephen are the same names, but Steven is more Anglo-Saxon-oriented.
    Last edited by Stephen; 01-27-2016 at 06:36 PM.

CSA Major

Just a rough sketch/trace. I'm trying out digital drawing so I just traced a photo to start out, plus I don't have a drawing tablet so I have to use a mouse so I had some trouble with that. I'm gonna keep at it and see how I improve, I just started drawing again after years of not drawing so my skills are pretty bad. Does a tablet help with digital drawing? I've never used one before so I'm a little nervous about how it works
    confederate soldier trace.jpg
    Jesse S. Crosby, 20th Georgia Infantry, July 15, 1861 - May 6, 1864

Samuel T. McKenzie, 20th Georgia Infantry, July 15, 1861 - September 2, 1862

Joseph C. McKenzie, 20th Georgia Infantry, July 15, 1861 - October 1, 1863

Henry C. McKenzie, 3rd Georgia Infantry, June 1, 1861 - January 28, 1863

Charles R. Beddingfield, 38th Alabama Infantry

Samuel L. Cowart, Cobb's Legion

USA Captain

My Korean friend drew this for me when I told him about this game.

13483317_1011474088901790_6399509494549796914_o.jpg

Sorry the picture couldn't be bigger by default, I don't know how to make it larger. ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)