Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: A question about the Ranks

USA Captain

A question about the Ranks

I have some questions concerning the Ranks.

1: Enlisted Ranks
    How many ranks for the enlisted are in WoR? Just the private? This could might be a Problem, because there should be a difference between a Private which joined 1 Hour ago, and a private wich is member for 2 months. I know that you can't make new ranks, but maybe you could make a private fourth class, private thrid class, privade secound class and private firste class. I think that in the civil war was a difference between a private which is enlisted for 1 month and a private wich enlisted for one year. This should reflect the classes.

2: Can every company have a colonel?If we take it historically accurate it has to be a Captain, but I see too much Colonels in the roosters.
    I know that the Colonel is a commander of all the companys of the same regiment, but wich task does he have?
    For example the 1stUSSS
    Company A Germany
    Company B NA
    Company C Australia
    So what is the task of a Colonel, if there are Generals who are giving commands in theyr tents, independent compnays who obey them (or not). I don't see a task for a Colonel.

3: Somebody told me that, if you are playing WoR, you have to unlock the ranks, wepons and classes. But on historical matches you can play your rank in your regiment, correct? It's bullshit if the commander of a regiment just can play a 2nd lieutenant, his deputy which has unlocked this class is playing 1st lieutenant.
    So, if its true that you are making this system, I think it's awsome for skimishes, but not for historical battles.

PS: I am sorry for my bad english, I am not so good in english, and its already late and I should get up early tomorrow. Maybe, if an admin is bored, he could edit my post so that it is an acceptable english?

USA 1st Lieutenant

...kill me
    1st Lieutenant Rutger Müller, 6th Wisconsin Infantry Regiment, Company A

USA Captain

Rank is normally designated to those that can handle responsibility and have skill. Lets say I have two privates, Bill and Joe. Bill is 12, talks loudly, has a hard time staying in line, but he is loyal and has been in the regiment for about two months but will never be promoted unless his behavior and skill improves. Joe has just joined two weeks ago, talks when spoken to, follows orders well, and has learned basic NCO properties and will be promoted even despite his short career.
    Last edited by Andee; 11-17-2015 at 04:38 AM.

USA Captain

Quote Originally Posted by Andee View Post
    Rank is normally designated to those that can handle responsibility and have skill. Lets say I have two privates, Bill and Joe. Bill is 12, talks loudly, has a hard time staying in line, but he is loyal and has been in the regiment for about two months but will never be promoted unless his behavior and skill improves. Joe has just joined two weeks ago, talks when spoken to, follows orders well, and has learned basic NCO properties and will be promoted even despite his short career.
    I see, but I think that the NCO ranks are normally take by loyal members, and it can happen that nobody of them is leaving the regiment. And you just have a limited spots of corporals and Sergeants, otherwise you would have 60% corporals. I think that you need some more enlisted ranks, if the same guys are in the NCO slots for some years. It seems to be unfair if a Joe2 wich is one year in the regiment, has the same rank as a Bill2 who joined 2 weeks ago.

USA Captain

Quote Originally Posted by Todesengel View Post
    I see, but I think that the NCO ranks are normally take by loyal members, and it can happen that nobody of them is leaving the regiment. And you just have a limited spots of corporals and Sergeants, otherwise you would have 60% corporals. I think that you need some more enlisted ranks, if the same guys are in the NCO slots for some years. It seems to be unfair if a Joe2 wich is one year in the regiment, has the same rank as a Bill2 who joined 2 weeks ago.
    Co. A, 7th Wisconsin are using realistic ranks from the union ACW. We are starting out at the Platoon level where I am a 2nd Lieutenant, we have been in talks about expanding to a Second Section as well with how many men we are receiving - thats a different story entirely. We are not using the Company/Quartermaster Sergeant rank either since that person was very very rarely every in combat, all of our ranks are combat oriented. Furthermore, to address the concern of a very hard promotion ceiling to break we have thoughtfully considered two avenues to address that and make sure our members are given the proper commendation.

Its a joke that all these Companies are starting out at full capacity companies when they only have a handful of men (usually just one); even more so, they choose to rank themselves unrealistically as a Colonel in command of a company.

USA Captain

One way I know my company is talking about setting things up is to have a "Veteran" rank which is still a private but one that has been around long enough that if the new privates are to look for some kind of leadership if their Corporals or Sergeants are dead. It is a rank in real life so to speak that did exist in some company as well in the war( example from the Adjutant Generals report ). So it might be a idea on how to make as you said Joe to not be on the same level as new guy Bill.

Capt Mark Mason
    Massachusetts Sharpshooters Company A
    15th Massachusetts Infantry, II Corps.

[Ma. S.S. (Co. A)] Forum Page

USA Sergeant

CUSTOMS OF SERVICE FOR NON-COMMISSIONED OFFICERS AND SOLDIERS
    by August V Kautz

VETERANS.
    590. VOLUNTEERS who have served at least nine months, and who re-enlist, are entitled to be
    called “Veteran Volunteers,” and may wear the service chevron showing that they have served
    one enlistment. (G.O. No. 191, 1863.)
    (...)
    593. A veteran regiment, to entitle it to be called such, must be composed of at least one-half of
    its number of men who have served one enlistment of not less than nine months. (GO. No. 216,
    1863.)

So no, not a rank as such.
    Also this system was not implemented until 1863...

And "Veteran volunteers" did not become common until the 3 year contracts from July 1861 ran out in 1864... and many re-enlisted.

How you organize internally is naturally up to you, but with the game set in 1862 it would not make sense from a historical point of view for the devs to add the service chevrons.

In the prewar regular army you simply had to serve x years.(can't remember how many)
    Thomas Bernstorff Aagaard

USA General of the Army

In Maryland State Near to both Antietam and Gettysburg, Harper's Ferry et al.
    There is a publisher that provides very informative publications rather inexpensively.

They do cover the organization of both Armies, as well as the different services. Enjoy and happy reading!

CSA Lieutenant Colonel

I have some questions concerning the Ranks.

1: Enlisted Ranks
    How many ranks for the enlisted are in WoR? Just the private? This could might be a Problem, because there should be a difference between a Private which joined 1 Hour ago, and a private wich is member for 2 months. I know that you can't make new ranks, but maybe you could make a private fourth class, private thrid class, privade secound class and private firste class. I think that in the civil war was a difference between a private which is enlisted for 1 month and a private wich enlisted for one year. This should reflect the classes.

2: Can every company have a colonel?If we take it historically accurate it has to be a Captain, but I see too much Colonels in the roosters.
    I know that the Colonel is a commander of all the companys of the same regiment, but wich task does he have?
    For example the 1stUSSS
    Company A Germany
    Company B NA
    Company C Australia
    So what is the task of a Colonel, if there are Generals who are giving commands in theyr tents, independent compnays who obey them (or not). I don't see a task for a Colonel.

3: Somebody told me that, if you are playing WoR, you have to unlock the ranks, wepons and classes. But on historical matches you can play your rank in your regiment, correct? It's bullshit if the commander of a regiment just can play a 2nd lieutenant, his deputy which has unlocked this class is playing 1st lieutenant.
    So, if its true that you are making this system, I think it's awsome for skimishes, but not for historical battles.

PS: I am sorry for my bad english, I am not so good in english, and its already late and I should get up early tomorrow. Maybe, if an admin is bored, he could edit my post so that it is an acceptable english?
    1. There will be privates, and some form of non-commissioned-officer present. Whether they will represent every rank of nco or just, say a sergeant rank, will be up to the developers. Officer ranks will also be present.

2. A colonel is the officer who oversees a large unit, usually a regiment, although sometimes a battalion if the unit only had 4 - 8 companies. The colonel usually received orders from a Brigadier General, who as the name suggests, commanded a brigade. The Brigadier General would convey his orders to all of the regimental officers, usually colonels as discussed before, who would then convey those orders to the rest of the regiment and make sure they are carried out.

Basically, the colonel is responsible for the 1,000 or so men who make up a regiment or battalion.

3. This system hasn't really been discussed as of yet. I do expect however that all ranks will be open, however like I said, we will have to hear more from the developers. I do not recall them going into detail on it yet.

If you have any more questions, feel free to ask!
    "The patriot volunteer, fighting for country and his rights, makes the most reliable soldier on Earth." - Lieutenant General Thomas "Stonewall" Jackson

"It is well that war is so terrible. Otherwise we should grow too fond of it." - General Robert E. Lee

"I would rather die a thousand deaths than betray a friend." - Confederate Scout, Sam Davis

Brigadier General James J. Archer
    Archer's Brigade
    A.P. Hill's Light Division
    Army of Northern Virginia

USA Major

Quote Originally Posted by Rithal View Post
    1. There will be privates, and some form of non-commissioned-officer present. Whether they will represent every rank of nco or just, say a sergeant rank, will be up to the developers. Officer ranks will also be present.

2. A colonel is the officer who oversees a large unit, usually a regiment, although sometimes a battalion if the unit only had 4 - 8 companies. The colonel usually received orders from a Brigadier General, who as the name suggests, commanded a brigade. The Brigadier General would convey his orders to all of the regimental officers, usually colonels as discussed before, who would then convey those orders to the rest of the regiment and make sure they are carried out.

Basically, the colonel is responsible for the 1,000 or so men who make up a regiment or battalion.

3. This system hasn't really been discussed as of yet. I do expect however that all ranks will be open, however like I said, we will have to hear more from the developers. I do not recall them going into detail on it yet.

If you have any more questions, feel free to ask!
    Rithal Nailed it like allways xD