Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: Military Veterans

CSA Lieutenant General

US Regular Army 1986-1988 88N-10 Basic Ft Dix NJ, Training FT Eustis Virginia, Ft Ord, California 573rd troop Movement Detachment Traffic Management Coordinator specialized moving troops, supplies and equipment via all modes. On a side note it is my belief the south lost the war because even today the most cost effective way to move troops, supplies and heavy equipment is by train. That is why almost all major battles between the war between the states where at rail junctions. There was zero number of locomotives produced in the South after the war began, The amount of rail produced annually by the North (220,000) and South (26,000) at start of war, Rail mileage laid annually in the North (4,000) and South (400) during the conflict, There were six railroads serving Richmond but not one interchanged with each other; you had to transfer goods by hand hauling across town to reload on other trains, train speed dropped from 25 mph in 1861 to only 10 mph in 1863, southern train depots couldn't supply wood and trains had to stop along the way to chop and load wood as needed, accidents happened because no reliable telegraphs, Union troops destroying tunnels and burning bridges along with their Sherman neckties heating rails and wrapping around trees surely didn't help and raised the average cost of new cast-iron wheels in the South in 1861 ($15) compared to 1865 ($500). The major Southern rail centers were Chattanooga, Atlanta, and most important, Richmond and very little track was laid west of the missisippi. In Conclusion for all the above reasons it is my strong belief that the reason the south lost the war is because of transportation management.
    Last edited by John Bell Hood; 10-30-2016 at 07:51 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by MadWolf View Post
    Well in the US they are still proud to be a American and are still able to say that tey are.

If i say that "i am proud to be a Dutchman" in the city i live in the first thing i get is "why?.. are you a racist?". We have a Veteran Day in the Netherlands but many people do not care for it and like Grant97 and Hinkel said most people do not care if you did served in the military or not but maybe this is more a european thing.
    I wonder which city you live in then. I've stated my pride in my Dutch nationality on several occasions and I never got any flak from it, wherever I was.

USA Captain

Thanks for your service. My dads in the Navy i want to join soon.
    Colonel - James Dixon,
    Commander of Eagle Brigade,
    Second Corps Union Army

USA President

US Marine Corps 1984-1993 0311 Grunt then 0352 TOW Gunner Desert Storm and other stuff before that. Thanks to all who have served.

USA General of the Army

In Maryland State Near to both Antietam and Gettysburg, Harper's Ferry et al.
    I want to take some time to thank you all for your service.

smiley_salute.gif

CSA Captain

Quote Originally Posted by PGT Beauregard View Post
    US Marine Corps 1984-1993 0311 Grunt then 0352 TOW Gunner Desert Storm and other stuff before that. Thanks to all who have served.
    Thank you for your service. The Corps holds a special place in my heart.
    To the Colors!

Captain Lance Rawlings
    Company K, 38th North Carolina, Pender's Brigade, A.P. Hill's Division, Jackson's Corps, Army of Northern Virginia
    http://www.warofrightsforum.com/show...lina-Boys-quot

USA Captain

Us aussie's take our military history fairly seriously. We have many ways to honour veterans. We don't say thank you but more 'Wow, good on ya mate.' which is essentially a thank you. We're all proud of our soldiers as we have the ANZAC spirit. World War 1 was the first time we were given the chance to prove ourselves as a new nation and we haven't stopped in times of need since then.

We have ANZAC Day, a full on blown out day for our veterans. Dawn Services, Parades, presentations, history shows, public holiday. We then have a rememberance day also, not quite as big but fairly large. All australians are defined by our anzacs and 100 years on we still cherish those men, as Australia was essentially born on that day. We don't have a warrior culture just the spirit.

USA General of the Army

What I love about ANZAC day is that you guys chose to keep the name ANZAC. You could have easily just made it about the Austrian soldiers that fell but you also choose to remember you New Zealand brothers that fought and died at your side.

I'm attending the Cenotaph service in London this year wearing my Great Uncle's war medals with pride on my right hand breast.

USA President

Quote Originally Posted by Bravescot View Post
    What I love about ANZAC day is that you guys chose to keep the name ANZAC. You could have easily just made it about the Austrian soldiers that fell but you also choose to remember you New Zealand brothers that fought and died at your side.

I'm attending the Cenotaph service in London this year wearing my Great Uncle's war medals with pride on my right hand breast.
    Outstanding!!

USA Captain

Jesus, is that the USA President? Abraham is dat u