Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Happy 4th

USA Lieutenant General

I'm a loyalist at heart

CSA Captain

Quote Originally Posted by A. P. Hill View Post
    I would have believed today being July 3rd and a half ... now you have to lose a day to get caught back up with the rest of us!

Attachment 6560

Attachment 6561
    Obviously too complex for the average American mind to understand, But we have two 5th of July's, Today which is the first 5th which is actually the 4th but it's the 5th. And tomorrow or actually as I write this it just turned today now, So today again which is the 5th of July again. Duuuh

But don't get me wrong, Happy 241st Birthday 'Murica.
    Last edited by Wildcat; 07-05-2017 at 01:14 AM.

USA Lieutenant General

Quote Originally Posted by Wildcat View Post
    no today is the 5th of July we skip the 4th.
    But hey we can always celebrate that time America tried taking over Canada and we beat them back despite being apart of a huge war in Europe
    You can! And then a while after that we celebrate winning the biggest and most lopsided victory in that war. ;D Everyone wins, I guess?
    Last edited by Kane Kaizer; 07-05-2017 at 03:24 AM.

CSA Captain

Quote Originally Posted by Kane Kaizer View Post
    You can! And then a while after that we celebrate winning the biggest and most lopsided victory in that war. ;D Everyone wins, I guess?
    you mean that one battle that happened after the war had already ended and had no affect on the war whatsoever? Celebrate it all you like I guess.

USA Sergeant

1. The Battle of New Orleans is exaggerated.
    2. The British drove us out of Canada with more decisive victories 3 times.
    3. They burnt our capital to the ground, raided most of the east coast, and almost made Maine into the British colony of New Ireland after they captured most of it's important cities.

The Brits get the war of 1812, it's just how it is.

Pvt. William J. Sadowski

CSA Major

Quote Originally Posted by crazychester1247 View Post
    1. The Battle of New Orleans is exaggerated.
    2. The British drove us out of Canada with more decisive victories 3 times.
    3. They burnt our capital to the ground, raided most of the east coast, and almost made Maine into the British colony of New Ireland after they captured most of it's important cities.

The Brits get the war of 1812, it's just how it is.
    Nobody won the war of 1812. It was a stalemate and resulted in status quo ante bellum (meaning nothing changed, everything went back to the way it was before the war).

America actually benefited from the war in the long term whereas Britain didn't really benefit in any meaningful way.
    Jesse S. Crosby, 20th Georgia Infantry, July 15, 1861 - May 6, 1864

Samuel T. McKenzie, 20th Georgia Infantry, July 15, 1861 - September 2, 1862

Joseph C. McKenzie, 20th Georgia Infantry, July 15, 1861 - October 1, 1863

Henry C. McKenzie, 3rd Georgia Infantry, June 1, 1861 - January 28, 1863

Charles R. Beddingfield, 38th Alabama Infantry

Samuel L. Cowart, Cobb's Legion

CSA Captain

Quote Originally Posted by Legion View Post
    Nobody won the war of 1812. It was a stalemate and resulted in status quo ante bellum (meaning nothing changed, everything went back to the way it was before the war).

America actually benefited from the war in the long term whereas Britain didn't really benefit in any meaningful way.
    When you declare a war and achieve none of your goals, you lose.
    When you are declared upon, and prevent the enemy from achieving their goals, you win.
    Status Quo does not imply a draw, it means nothing was gained or lost in peace. There's a big difference.
    My interpretation is that Great Britain won with one arm tied behind their back.

Happy independence to all the Americans

USA Lieutenant General

Haha wonderful. One second we're all just "taking the piss" for fun because it was the 4th and then everyone wants to start a full-scale War of 1812 debate out of it. I should have known better. :P
    Last edited by Kane Kaizer; 07-05-2017 at 07:07 PM.

CSA Captain

Haha wonderful. One second we're all just "taking the piss" for fun because it was the 4th and then everyone wants to start a full-scale War of 1812 debate out of it. I should have known better. :P
    I didn't mean to start this xD but it's just a friendly debate so it's fine.

USA Lieutenant General

Quote Originally Posted by Wildcat View Post
    I didn't mean to start this xD but it's just a friendly debate so it's fine.
    I've never seen a War of 1812 debate that stayed friendly for too long, which is why I try to stay clear of them. :P Everyone seemingly has such fierce passion about a little, relatively inconsequential war from 200 years ago that only history buffs even remember exists. My opinion is that everyone might as well just be happy about the memorable victories that they had and move on from it, glad not to have lost anything (except of course for the casualties) and not try to force their own version of what happened down each other's highly unwilling throats. Not saying that's what you were doing or anything, I mean that broadly when it comes to this subject. Whenever I watch a YouTube video that has anything to do with the War of 1812, I have to remind myself repeatedly not to scroll down.