Page 13 of 19 FirstFirst ... 31112131415 ... LastLast

Thread: Fresh Idea for skirmishes

CSA Major

Quote Originally Posted by Dutchconfederate View Post
    Love the line battles love the skirmish formation love them both. The lone wolves I do not understand... really why would you buy a game like this if you do not like formations of any sort...

What I see a lot is a lack of movement during events. The problem here is the lack of forming multiple groups. And instead having 1 mass group vs another. If we would be able to organize ourselves in such a manner that we are able to create 2 line groups and a smaller skirmish group you would have more active and action packed events. That is what I miss currently in the game. My hope is that this will change when we are able to spawn in with our companies, and when we have private servers or can get ourselves organized enough in the current state of the game. And then yes we will come across some randoms who behave like idiots.. but the core of the game-play and the experience would be much better in my eyes.
    All you got to do is charm/convince those idiots to join a regiment/company and show them the right way, I came across lots that were like that, we got them into an event with us as a 'trial run' (if they were undecided), told them the do's and don't and how to play the game if you want to be in 1st Georgia and the 99 percent of them fall in line because they want to be part of something bigger but yes you will have those few bad apples that will act a fool and actually get off on being an idiot. Now I'm fine with those guys (pubs) not wanting to be associated with any unit as long as they for ex. fall in line with the rest of us (line battles exclusive events) and play the game how it was intended to play (don't mind groups of 3-5 in normal skirmish event - to me that's a skirmishing unit, the one or pair of Rambo's is the problem but they end up only hurting their own team), I can think of lots of non regimental guys that play it right like Foghorne etc. you don't have to be in a regiment/company to play this game right/way it was intended, if we want variety then maybe sometime in the future the devs will put out another game mode where morale/buffs etc are not a thing but I think that will just take away from what the devs ultimately want out of this game. Basically if you don't like the way their going with buffs, morale etc and strive for more Arcady experience seeing how many kills you got/who you killed etc then this is NOT the game for you!
    Last edited by Warboy; 07-13-2018 at 03:13 PM.
    Napoleon Total War American Civil War Multiplayer Mod Discord Community - https://discord.gg/J3xJ4DU

TUNNELLS ARE USELESS....so why bother anyway - Henry Wirz (Andersonville film quote)

USA Captain

Quote Originally Posted by Warboy View Post
    strive for more Arcady experience seeing how many kills you got/who you killed etc then this is NOT the game for you!
    I have to remind testers that this game is completely different than everything out there. Single soldier glory should not and does not exist in this game. This is a game where you must fight for the team.

Quote Originally Posted by Tyler28256 View Post
    So I'm a bit late to this party due to my absence for the Gettysburg Reenactment. Anyways my thoughts on this was basically said in the past pages.

- A development checklist of things to come
    - frequent development progress reports
    - Remove the timer. I've lead several line battles where we could have won, but were stopped short due to time restraints.
    - Capture point is fine to keep as another way to win a match, and gives both sides a reason to maneuver around the map.
    - Maps can be a bit larger as well to encourage more maneuverability for attacking forces.
    - Volume option is a must need since in-game voice is way too quiet.
    - Private servers would be great as well. I know you guys don't want them yet due to wanting more inclusive events with alpha testers, but there a lot of alpha testers who ruin events by refuse to join units causing higher ticket loses during organized events. It would encourage alpha testers to join units, and reduce disorganization during events.
    - Union shooting range is way to far from camp, and discourages Union players from using it unless their captain brings them there during drill. I've seen a lot of union players using the Confederate shooting range because it's closer to spawn and made much better.
    - Picking your correct rank, and removing class limitations in drill camp would be a awesome as well.
    - Releasing artillery would also help spice things up.

That's just my take on what this game needs.
    This list needs to not disappear from this thread.

CSA Captain

Quote Originally Posted by Warboy View Post
    All you got to do is charm/convince those idiots to join a regiment/company and show them the right way, I came across lots that were like that, we got them into an event with us as a 'trial run' (if they were undecided), told them the do's and don't and how to play the game if you want to be in 1st Georgia and the 99 percent of the time fall in line because they want to be part of something bigger but yes you will have those few bad apples that will act a fool and actually get off on being an idiot. Now I'm fine with those guys (pubs) not wanting to be associated with any unit as long as they for ex. fall in line with the rest of us (line battles exclusive events) and play the game how it was intended to play (don't mind groups of 3-5 in normal skirmish event - to me that's a skirmishing unit, the one or pair of Rambo's is the problem but they end up only hurting their own team), I can think of lots of non regimental guys that play it right like Foghorne, pollargardman etc. you don't have to be in a regiment/company to play this game right/way it was intended, if we want variety then maybe sometime in the future the devs will put out another game mode where morale/buffs etc are not a thing but I think that will just take away from what the devs ultimately want out of this game. Basically if you don't like the way their going with buffs, morale etc and strive for more Arcady experience seeing how many kills you got/who you killed etc then this is NOT the game for you!
    Yeah... well thank you for that interesting reply but my post was not directed towards the rambo's or clowns trying to ruin the game(not every random is an idiot or a clown). No need for us to focus on stuff we can not control. What we can controle is how we set up events with the companies active currently in WoR. So besides a few that do not want to fall in with anyone which is their right since these are public servers the majority should be able to make more interesting events.

And indeed this list is worthy to stay in the picture:

- Remove the timer. I've lead several line battles where we could have won, but were stopped short due to time restraints.
    - Capture point is fine to keep as another way to win a match, and gives both sides a reason to maneuver around the map.
    - Maps can be a bit larger as well to encourage more maneuverability for attacking forces.
    - Private servers would be great as well. I know you guys don't want them yet due to wanting more inclusive events with alpha testers, but there a lot of alpha testers who ruin events by refuse to join units causing higher ticket loses during organized events. It would encourage alpha testers to join units, and reduce disorganization during events.
    - Union shooting range is way to far from camp, and discourages Union players from using it unless their captain brings them there during drill. I've seen a lot of union players using the Confederate shooting range because it's closer to spawn and made much better.
    - Picking your correct rank, and removing class limitations in drill camp would be a awesome as well.

USA Captain

Quote Originally Posted by Dutchconfederate View Post
    Yeah... well thank you for that interesting reply but my post was not directed towards the rambo's or clowns trying to ruin the game(not every random is an idiot or a clown). No need for us to focus on stuff we can not control. What we can controle is how we set up events with the companies active currently in WoR. So besides a few that do not want to fall in with anyone which is their right since these are public servers the majority should be able to make more interesting events.

And indeed this list is worthy to stay in the picture:

Indeed the list is good. I may need a few other things, but it’s solid. I agree with your point of two lines each side on a line battle. It’s all about coordinating it, and not taking ages on the union side to form two. It takes ages just to form one as it is.

The only reason we do just one big line in the line battles is because that's all the union commanders will agree to. If it were up to the confederates we would do multiple lines to allow for flanking maneuvers.

CSA Captain

Oh, are we playing the blame game again?
    Your Captain calls me Onii-chan.

No blame game at all, simply stating the truth.

CSA Captain

Warboy, thank you for the compliment. I am always willing to fight along side 1st Georgia.

I see your point there, but that's what some in the community want to do. The lone wolfing you mention only happens by NON-REGIMENT people who ruin the events for the rest of us. If anything that point you made strengthens my beliefs. People who don't want to do those events don't have come to them. It only ruins it for the people who want to do it.
    You can't just declare martial law every time a server is full and do the same redundant M&B Napoleon stuff.

The game is designed for lines
    Clearly it's not though if a handful of people can muck up the whole system? As a community, we don't even know what tactics work because the wizards of smarts (the "regiments") refuse to let the game be anything other than a niche -- get in server --> play a line battle --> get off server.

I know this because I've spoken to the Confederate leadership, and the complaints are only that people not in units ruin the match by skirmishing. The game as it stands is striving to be historically accurate, and if people want something more arcade like then this is not the game for them. We look to win in all situations, but people who refuse to help the team win because they don't like the rules of the event don't help.
    I think the 'rules' mostly directly oppose the idea of winning. And only a fool would send a line out without skirmishers first. Study the war! People who did that have burial pits named after them. Yet here we go again and again marching out in a column led by cinematic generals until we're taking volleys. Heaven forbid we ever move to contact in a line! Oh the repetitiveness of it all. No wonder people aren't playing. I'm not the only one who feels this way. banghead.gif

Quote Originally Posted by SwingKid148 View Post
    I have to remind testers that this game is completely different than everything out there. Single soldier glory should not and does not exist in this game. This is a game where you must fight for the team.
    You're confusing and assuming that peer pressure rules over people's behavior. You have to have a game that makes that the case! You have to look at history and understand why people fought the way they did. I feel like nobody here, if they were suddenly transported to a Civil War battlefield in an officer's role, would even fight historically because none of ya'll seem to believe it serves any purpose. If you did you'd be looking for ways to manipulate the game and not the players. Human nature isn't going to conform to your idea of how it should be.

As long as one can very easily roam around with relative ease and still effectively engage herds of players effectively more often than not, then you're going to have problems. And don't give me this "hurting the team" BS. If I'm out of line and kill one out of line enemy I just paid my dues. The battles are decided by the guys out of line, not the ones in line. The fights they have on the edges of the map are far more consequential and their movements and tactics matter far greater by incidental design. A lot of people are going to have a lot of fun on their own shooting at big targets without proper reasons they can't. The current system relies solely on an assumption of the player's death as a punishment to the lone wolf. What if the player doesn't die? What if all he does is kills and kills again?

Retreating into private servers ASAP is a defeatist attitude and doesn't help the game develop.
    Last edited by Poorlaggedman; 07-14-2018 at 01:56 AM.
    Gameplay Suggestions: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JjUuaVXTJsY

Old Pennsylvania Discord: https://discord.gg/MjxfZ5n

USA Captain

So I'm a bit late to this party due to my absence for the Gettysburg Reenactment. Anyways my thoughts on this was basically said in the past pages.

That's just my take on what this game needs.
    To keep this thread on topic, the list that shall not be lost.