Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: First Impressions

USA 2nd Lieutenant

Exclamation First Impressions

The game looks beautiful: battlefields, weather, uniforms and gore!

Gameplay with a coherent unit with an able commander can be immersive and fun.

Flag bearer is an altruistic role and that player is instantly the target of choice of the enemy. Being unable to do anything other than try and dodge bullets the role, though important, has nothing else to commend it. Flag bearer is boring, presently. So why should a player choose FB if he wants action? He needs at least something else to do especially in self defence.

The loading animation is very good to watch -- a couple of times -- but in a long game too much time is spent loading and looking at the ground. The animation may be realistic but not a feature which players want to be locked into time and time again. There needs to be an interrupt loading option so when the enemy is danger close, melee becomes possible.

Spawning can take up to four minutes to occur, ugh! Servers drop too often.

The game needs a lot more variety than it offers presently if its long term success, commercially and a growing player base, is to be secured.

6/10

CSA Major

Flag bearers choose to do so because it an honour of the regiment, not because they were forced in to it. You’ll find that many players carrying the banner whom are a part of an existing company do so out of pleasure and duty. A colour guard should be detailed to defend them. This is how it was historically and this is how it is here.

You can interrupt reloads by tapping ‘R’. Players have been happily locking themselves in to reloads for two years now, it’s why we’re still here. That said, a segmented reload pattern and a more fluid exit from the reload would be appreciated - on my part at least.

Spawning should not be taking that long. Find the root of the bug and submit a detailed report in the appropriate forum. Servers should also not be ‘dropping’ (whatever that means). They have been stable, as far as I am aware, for several weeks now.

CSA Captain

I got my code through Friday, I was so impressed I upped my pledge.

It is a beautiful game, the scenery is fantastically created and the uniforms are amazing, the weapons, textures. the lot.

Gameplay with a coherent unit and a commander that knows how to control people is amazing, but playing with a bunch of whoopin yahoo's is also fun.

the loading animation is exactly that, you have to load IRL too, learn to use the ALT key if you're not fussed on reloading.
    to interrupt loading simply hit R again it'll stop it.

spawning has never taken me 4 minutes ever. max a minute and that was a flag spawn not the main spawn.

the game will get variety, it's still in alpha and a lot is still planned. give it time.

USA 2nd Lieutenant

Quote Originally Posted by Leifr View Post
    Flag bearers choose to do so because it an honour of the regiment, not because they were forced in to it. You’ll find that many players carrying the banner whom are a part of an existing company do so out of pleasure and duty. A colour guard should be detailed to defend them. This is how it was historically and this is how it is here.

You can interrupt reloads by tapping ‘R’. Players have been happily locking themselves in to reloads for two years now, it’s why we’re still here. That said, a segmented reload pattern and a more fluid exit from the reload would be appreciated - on my part at least.

Spawning should not be taking that long. Find the root of the bug and submit a detailed report in the appropriate forum. Servers should also not be ‘dropping’ (whatever that means). They have been stable, as far as I am aware, for several weeks now.
    This is a game and honour is meaningless. In a clan FB may be something which can be rotated but pubbies are not going to stick with it. The point is balance between realism and gaming experience.

USA 2nd Lieutenant

Thanks, I shall try, tapping R.

Us backers have shown our patience. Unless that variety is imminent with Steam keys available for purchase soon-ish, the game is likely to get review bombed.

CSA Captain

"Us backers"
    Sorry but you do not speak for everyone.

CSA Captain

Quote Originally Posted by Volunteer View Post
    Us backers have shown our patience. Unless that variety is imminent with Steam keys available for purchase soon-ish, the game is likely to get review bombed.
    Thats total nonesense, and you really don't speak for all of us. The role of Standard Bearer is, currently, a purely tactical one. If the guy with the flag keeps running off to get himself killed then that defeats the object of having a mobile spawn point on it. IF they were to give the flag bearer a weapon, then all that would do is actually encourage players to use it in offense. Also Leifr is right, the servers have been stable for weeks.

Also, press R again to interupt loading.....and press left ALT to look around when you are loading, you don't HAVE to stare at your gun. So with the greatest respect, you posted a 'review' of a game you don't know how to play yet.
    ''I'm here to play an American Civil War era combat game, not Call of Duty with muskets.''.

USA 2nd Lieutenant

Quote Originally Posted by Sox View Post
    Thats total nonesense, and you really don't speak for all of us. The role of Standard Bearer is, currently, a purely tactical one. If the guy with the flag keeps running off to get himself killed then that defeats the object of having a mobile spawn point on it. IF they were to give the flag bearer a weapon, then all that would do is actually encourage players to use it in offense. Also Leifr is right, the servers have been stable for weeks.

Also, press R again to interupt loading.....and press left ALT to look around when you are loading, you don't HAVE to stare at your gun. So with the greatest respect, you posted a 'review' of a game you don't know how to play yet.
    It is not a review it is first impressions. The servers have not been stable at time for me and that is in the last four days. Of course, limited experience is not likely to mean understanding the game, again it is impressions. As a backer waiting two years is indeed patient. Being a supporter of the game does not preclude being critical. FB is, as I said, is an altruistic choice but the role has little else to commend it in an action fps.

The game is good but as yet nowhere near being great. We all await future developments.
    Last edited by Volunteer; 10-16-2018 at 11:38 PM.

CSA Colonel

Quote Originally Posted by Volunteer View Post
    In a clan FB may be something which can be rotated but pubbies are not going to stick with it.
    All due respect to "pubbies", I don't think you are going to find too many people complaining if the flag is left to organized groups who are communicating about where the it would be the most useful. Of course I don't mean that only people in organized groups should be allowed to carry it, but if people outside of those groups chose not to it won't be detrimental.

Within those groups, it is certainly considered an honor to carry the flag in game (whether you believe it or not). Especially if one of the units on the map is their unit! I know in the 1st. Texas we consider it an honor to carry the Wigfall Flag.

USA 2nd Lieutenant

Quote Originally Posted by Bleddyn View Post
    All due respect to "pubbies", I don't think you are going to find too many people complaining if the flag is left to organized groups who are communicating about where the it would be the most useful. Of course I don't mean that only people in organized groups should be allowed to carry it, but if people outside of those groups chose not to it won't be detrimental.

Within those groups, it is certainly considered an honor to carry the flag in game (whether you believe it or not). Especially if one of the units on the map is their unit! I know in the 1st. Texas we consider it an honor to carry the Wigfall Flag.
    Agreed.